Why We Love This Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a classic ice cream cake favorite with everything you love about cookies and cream in a dreamy frozen dessert. You can use either homemade or your favorite storebought ice cream. And the best part though? This recipe works great if you want to make it ahead of time.
So what makes this Oreo Ice Cream Cake extra special? Well, theres a delicious layer of Tim Tam biscuits between the chocolate and vanilla ice cream.They add a delightful chocolatey crunch and really complement the cookies and cream flavor.
If you cant find them, feel free to leave it out or you can add crushed more Oreo cookies or chocolate wafers instead
Finish It All Off With A Little Something Special
This is a dessert that youll want to invite the whole family over for. One cake serves twelve people and believe me everyone will want a piece. After you slice up the cake, top it with anything you like. We enjoy whipped cream and chocolate sauce!
Everyone will think youve put tons of work into this masterpiece, but youll know it was one of the easiest things to throw together.
If you have some left over, remember to put it back into the freezer to keep it frozen.
Other Ideas To Try With Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
You can really make this ice cream cake recipe your own. Feel free to add some of your favorites ingredients.
- Try adding a layer of hot fudge.
- Substitute vanilla ice cream instead of cookies and cream. It will be delicious with the crushed oreo cookies!
- Add chocolate cake in between the cake layers.
- Either cool whip or whipped topping work. We love this this homemade whipped topping recipe. Whipped cream is just so creamy and delicious.
- Add a cream cheese mixture layer to the cake similar to dirt cake.
- Try different flavors oreo cookies. There are so many options these days- birthday cake, red velvet, peanut butter and more.
- Use chocolate ice cream for lots of chocolate flavor. This will be a hit with chocolate fans.
How To Cut An Ice Cream Cake
Once youre ready to serve your Oreo cookie-filled cake, allow it to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to soften up a bit. This will make it SO much easier to cut through.
Then, run a butterknife under hot water and dry it off. Run the warm knife around the sides of the cake to release it from the springform pan, and then gently remove the outer ring.
To cut the cake into slices, run a large and very sharp knife under hot water, then dry it off with a clean towel. Slice the cake into wedges, and remove with a cake server.
If you have any leftover ice cream cake, keep all remaining slices together and cover tightly. Freeze for up to 1 month, and allow to thaw for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. A double wrapping of plastic wrap and foil will help keep the cake fresher for longer.
Now that youve tried this Oreo-packed cookies and cream ice cream cake, youre probably wondering what chilly creations to try next.
The Easiest Ice Cream Cake
You really cant go wrong with a Ice Cream Cake, right? And this recipe is so simple, anyone can do it.
This cake is great too because it can be changed up with your favorite ice cream. I think we will try Mint Chocolate Chip next time. Or maybe even Bluebells Cookie Two Step which is half cookies and cream and half chocolate chip cookie dough.
We hope you enjoy this easy ice cream cake!
For more cookies and cream treats, check out:
You May Like: How To Make Shepards Pie
Why You’re Going To Love This Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
- You can make this cake 100 percent from scratch, or take some simple shortcuts to make it easier. Both ways are delicious.
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a classic flavor that everyone enjoys. Don’t expect to have any leftovers.
- The best part is the Oreo Cookie Crust! Some ice cream cakes have crunchies in the center, but this one has them on the bottom to create a thick, crunchy crust layer that is probably my favorite part.
- Save money by making an Oreo Icecream Cake from scratch. You wouldn’t believe how much these are sold for at the grocery store nowadays. Look for Ice cream on sale, or make your own to save a few bucks.
What Variations Can You Make To This Oreo Ice Cream Cake No Bake
My favorite part about this ice cream cake recipe is that its super easy to make changes to it to make it your own.
I love adding a layer of fudge sauce or hot fudge before the cool whip is added to add a little more chocolate to this delicious ice cream cake recipe.
Also, you can use whipped cream instead of the cool whip if you prefer it since it does not have high fructose corn syrup in it.
I have also made this ice cream cake with fruit instead of the Oreos. This cake is delicious with strawberries and blueberries in it instead!
Also, you can easily create a golden Oreo ice cream cake recipe but using golden vanilla Oreos instead of the chocolate ones for a completely different flavor for this ice cream cake.
I love getting creative with this ice cream dessert to make it my own! Try Homemade Whipped Cream with this delicious ice cream cake.
You May Like: Beauty Pie Free Shipping Code
Freeze The Whole Ice Cream Cake
Place the finished ice cream cake in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours to firm and chill, although overnight is ideal.
You can cover it with a light layer of foil or plastic wrap if you want to protect it from any rouge frozen goods sliding into your cake during the freezing process, but if you have a neat or nearly empty freezer you can leave it uncovered.
The Stabilized Heavy Cream
Heavy cream is the best way to go, do not be tempted to use buttercream or meringue. Remember that the cake is stored in the freezer and buttercream is best eaten at room temperature.
I used dry milk powder to stabilize the cream and I highly recommend not to skip it, it truly made a difference and you want the cream to be thick and have a spreadable consistency.
Also Check: Shepherd’s Pie Recipe With Cheese
Ingredients In This Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Oreos: Of course Oreos these cookies make up the base of the cake and garnish the top.
- Butter: The crushed cookies get mixed with butter to form the crust for these bars.
- Cookies and cream ice cream: Ice cream is next and make sure to use a brand you love since the ice cream is the primary flavor. Dont have a brand you love? Taste-testers ranked 15 different brands in this article. We love Tillamook® and TurkeyHill® best, but Ill admit I havent sampled all 15 of the different brands!
- Hot fudge sauce: One container of hot fudge is spread over the ice cream next. You can make your own if youre feeling ambitious.
- Cool whip: Last, but not least, we add 1 container of Cool Whip® on top. If youd like a healthier alternative, you can try TruWhip®. Or make your own Cool Whip whipped topping to finish off this ice cream cake
Add The Whipped Topping And Chopped Oreos
Once the hot fudge layer has chilled for at least 30 minutes and is set, its time to prepare the whipped cream layer. I go into detail in my homemade whipped cream post, so if youve never made your own whipped cream before, Id recommend starting there.
But, the process is pretty simple. Just add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
Turn the mixer to medium speed and whip everything together. It will start to get bubbly and frothy, and then start to thicken around the 3 minute mark.
Once the cream has become very thick , increase the speed to medium high and beat for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute. After this, it should look super airy and have formed stiff peaks.
Once the whipped cream forms stiff peaks, use an offset spatula to smooth the whipped cream on top of the set hot fudge layer.
Then, chop 8 of your Oreo cookies and sprinkle them on top of the whipped cream layer. Press down gently with your hand to sink them into the whipped cream topping and secure them into place.
Read Also: Muslim Bean Pies For Sale
More Recipes You Will Love
Whipped Hot Chocolate Creamy whipped hot chocolate is the perfect dessert, and can be served cold or hot.
Strawberry Poke Cake Sweet vanilla cake topped with a strawberry sauce that swirls into the cake with a whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries on top! This is an easy and delicious cake to bring to a party, and is always a party pleaser!
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Make homemade chocolate chip ice cream right in your own home without an ice cream maker. This easy no churn ice cream recipe is creamy, fun to make with the kids and delicious!
Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream No ice cream machine needed to make this delicious strawberry swirl ice cream either. A creamy vanilla ice cream base is swirled with a strawberry sauce and strawberry pieces for a delicious treat!
Is Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Gluten
Unlike homemade ice cream cakes or Baked Alaska, store bought creations do not include a cake layer. Popular ice cream cakes, like Dairy Queen or Carvel, instead use chocolate cookie crunchies and hot fudge between two layers of ice cream.
Therefore, Dairy Queen ice cream cakes are not gluten-free because the cookie crumbs contain wheat.
You May Like: How To Make A Pie Shell
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipes
Have a birthday celebration and wondering how to make your own homemade ice cream cake at home? We love making ice cream cakes for our friends and family to celebrate all the summer birthdays once June arrives.
Whether its this Peach Ice Cream Cake, Nutella Ice Cream Cake , Chocolate Ice Cream Cake, Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake, Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake, or this Blueberry Ice Cream Cake, theres something for everyone!
Believe it or not, my brothers and I never had the popular Oreo Ice Cream Cake from Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins or Walmart for our birthdays when we were younger so as you can see, Im definitely making up for lost time.
Luckily Oreo ice cream cakes are super easy to make at home and you can customize them with any other fun toppings you like and save yourself the trip to the grocery store. And since I myself and a few family members have dietary concerns, I have even included options to make this easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake recipe using vegan, dairy-free, low carb, keto and paleo-friendly substitutions.
How To Make Oreo Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Cake
You start with my usual suspects two layers of brownie and my favorite no-ice-cream-machine-needed ice cream base. To that ice cream base you add loads and loads of Oreo.
Pretty easy so far, right?
Next, you want to prepare your pan for building the cake. Ive noted this in the instructions, but its important to use the same pan to build the cake as you did to make the brownies, otherwise the brownies may be too big or small.
I usually put a cake circle in the bottom of the cake pan I used and line it with parchment paper. The cake circle makes it nice an easy to move the cake around once I take it out of the pan.
Now comes the layering the fun part!
Weve got a layer of brownie on the bottom, topped with Oreo ice cream. Add some chocolate sauce to that and youre half way there! You add the second brownie, the rest of the ice cream and then top with even more chopped Oreos, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Bam! All done!
Its the most fabulous ice cream cake ever. Seriously. You cant buy this in the store people. And you wont want to stop eating it. So you know what that means time to make the cake and grab a fork.
Also Check: Pinapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
Recipe Variations And Substitutions
You can use any flavor of ice cream you would like for this cake. Our kids want to pick two flavors for the layers when making this for their birthday cake. Some of our favorites to use are mint chocolate chip, strawberry, and chocolate chip cookie dough.
Beths Pro Tip: Try different flavors of your favorite ice creams! Keep the hot fudge and crushed Oreo layers, and tell us your favorite ice cream combos. Beths is Blue Bell Vanilla and Peanut Butter Moose tracks!
Why We Love Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Cake
- Quick And Easy This oreo ice cream cake recipe almost feels like cheating, its so easy anyone can put it together and the kids can help with this delicious recipe. Its the perfect treat for Oreo lovers!
- Great For Birthdays And Parties Perfect for a birthday cake , pool parties, and BBQs. This easy ice cream cake is just made for hot summer days!
- Delicious Taste! If you like the infamous Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake or Baskin-Robbins ice cream cakes, youll love this copycat no-bake dessert!
Don’t Miss: Key Lime Pie Protein Bar
Chocolate Oreo Cookie Ice Cream Cake
What better treat is there than ice cream, especially in the hot months of the summer or if you live in the Caribbean – basically anytime? Who doesnt love ice-cream with a bit of cake? Truthfully, that would be me. The only thing I mix with ice cream is pie and maybe brownies if they are super gooey and chewy. For me cake is a stand alone, but not for my dad and my husband – who combined, have the sweetest teeth I know and the reason I made this ice cream cake. They both have an evening ice cream eating ritual. Either they will go out and grab some or have some at home. They are so bad for each other. They know they shouldnt and yet they cant stop themselves either.
My parents had their anniversary coming up and I was trying to think of something special to make my dad in particular, as he has had a few rough months and thought ice cream cake would be the best option. He kept asking for cheesecake but I said I would save that one for later. I think he was happy I went with the ice cream cake and so was my husband who was rooting for that option right from the start.
This Oreo Brookie Ice Cream Cake is made with layers of fudgy brownie, chocolate chip cookie ice cream, chocolate ganache and Oreo ice cream. If you like this icy treat you will love these too:
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Tips
- Dont add hot butter to the crushed cookies: Let the butter cool slightly before mixing the two together to avoid greasy bars.
- Thoroughly crush the Oreos: If there are big pieces of Oreos in the crust, it will still taste great, but the bars wont cut out as nicely. I recommend a blender or food processor for crushing the cookies.
- Switch things up: swap flavor profiles: Try mint Oreos and mint ice cream OR chocolate Oreos and chocolate ice cream. The sky is the limit mix and match different Oreo flavors with complementary ice cream flavors.
- Line the pan with parchment paper and leave an overhang for easy cake removal. These ice cream bars will stick to the sides of the pan and be nearly impossible to pull out neatly without the parchment paper.
- Let bars stand for 5 minutes at room temperature before cutting and serving. Use a hot, sharp knife to make cuts into the bars. Serve and return any leftovers to the freezer.
You May Like: 9 Inch Deep Dish Aluminum Pie Pans
What Ingredients Are In Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Cake
The BEST part of this whole recipe is that it only has 5 ingredients! You wont even need a grocery list to make this dessert. You may just need to grab the ice cream for this dessert because I know you already have the Oreos in your pantry! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Oreos: Crushed into cookie crumbs for the crust.
- Butter: Melted and mixed with the cookie crumbs to make a delicious crust
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream: Your favorite store bought gallon of ice cream.
- Cool Whip: Added both in and on top of the ice cream and adds an extra creamy texture!
- Chocolate Fudge Sauce: The addition of chocolate sauce adds a rich flavor to balance out the sweetness.
- Oreos/Extra Chocolate Sauce: Save the extra oreos and chocolate sauce to drizzle and crumble on top!
How To Store Leftovers
We never have leftovers of this yummy homemade ice cream cake, but if you do, feel free to store it in the freezer for up to 5-7 days. To preserve the freshness of the cake, wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container. This cake can also be made ahead of time a few days prior to serving! Just store it according to these instructions!
Don’t Miss: Primal Palate Apple Pie Spice