Sweet Potato Pie Vs Pumpkin Pie
So, what is the difference between sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie? The two pies are very similar, calling for ingredients such as eggs, condensed or evaporated milk, and fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon .
Obviously, one pie uses pumpkin puree while the other uses mashed sweet potatoes. The textures are also similar but you will likely find that this recipe has a bit more texture and a more naturally sweet flavor than its pumpkin pie relative.
Is Pie Crust Better With Butter Or Shortening
Basically, the debate exists on whether to use butter, shortening, lard or some combination for the flakiest, best-tasting pie crust. I like a combination of butter and shortening for pie crusts. The shortening helps it to be super flaky, tender and sturdy, while the butter gives it the delicious buttery flavor. The combination results in a delicious, flaky, yet perfectly sturdy crust that works for even heavier pie fillings.
How To Make Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Its not a good pie, in my opinion, unless it also has a good crust. The crust might be my fave part of the pie, in all honesty. Thats why I like to make my own homemade pie crust for this sweet potato pie. I make a whole wheat pie crust which goes perfectly with the sweet potato pie filling. I use whole wheat pastry flour which is absolute magic in this sweet potato pie crust.
I also use coconut oil instead of butter to keep it healthier. If you dont like the taste of coconut, make sure to use refined coconut oil like this one which will have a more neutral scent and flavor. If youd prefer to use butter instead of coconut oil, make sure to choose unsalted, organic grass-fed butter to keep it clean.
The steps for making whole wheat pie crust are detailed in the recipe but I can assure you they are very easy to follow.
Read Also: Sing And Dance Pinkie Pie
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe: How To Make It
Sweet potato pie recipes typically contain eggs and milk, making them more or less a baked custard pie. Because of that, they should be stored in the fridge. Keep in mind if a dessert contains eggs, cream, and/or milk, you need to keep it cold.
Roll out pie crust and form into pie plate. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, spice, vanilla and salt. Whisk together until completely smooth. Pour into uncooked pie crust.
Hey, I live in Memphis and want to make your Sweet Potato Pie recipe for a school function. I love to bake but I do need clarification on if I need to thaw the crust before baking. I usually make my own but to save time I was going to use the deep dish frozen.
Flute the edges of the pie crust or press with tines of a fork. Refrigerate until ready to fill. 2 Preheat oven to 350°F. For the Sweet Potato Filling, pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Place on foil-lined baking pan. Bake 1 hour or until fork tender. Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Cool sweet potatoes slightly. Halve sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe. You can cook Sweet Potato Pie using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it. Ingredients of Sweet Potato Pie Prepare 3 of Sweet Potatoes . Make ready 1/2 Pint of Heavy Cream. You need 2 of Eggs.
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie
The last step: Dont forget to share!
Recommended Reading: Impossible Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What Spices Belong In A Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Here are three spices that belong in a delicious soul food sweet potato pie.
- Ground cinnamon is a versatile spice for savory and sweet dishes for an extra burst of flavor while adding more color.
Cinnamon is an excellent addition to everything from an apple pie, pumpkin bread, and even sweet potato pies! Cinnamon helps brighten up even the darkest desserts because it adds lightness to them while giving off its unique taste.
- Ground nutmeg is often found in pumpkin pies, but it goes exceptionally well with sweet potato pie. This spice gives the dish a wonderful flavor and provides some warmth to your palate.
Think about how good your grandmothers Thanksgiving meal tastes every year! Ground nutmeg has that same type of taste without being overwhelming or spicy at all. You need this for sure if you are planning on making this Thanksgiving specialty!
- Ground cloves are that secret ingredient that gives your finished recipes a beautiful aroma, a spicy kick, and the perfect amount of sweetness without going overboard with sugar.
Ground cloves have an aromatic sweet aroma and taste. Youll love how much more flavorful your ciders, toddies, brines, and sweet treats become once cloves are added!
When combined, these spices create an excellent balance. Cloves should definitely be included in any soul food Thanksgiving menu or Christmas dinner.
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients:
- Unbleached all-purpose flour this is used to make the base of the pie crust. Standard bleached flour will work too if thats what you have, unbleached just has better flavor.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar the white sugar is used in the pie crust to add a faint sweetness and the brown sugar is used for the filling. The added molasses of the brown sugar pairs perfectly with the sweet potato flavor.
- Salt this brings out the flavors of the pie crust and filling so it doesnt taste flat.
- Unsalted and salted butter unsalted butter is used in the pie crust , and salted butter for the filling. Salted browned butter tastes so much better than unsalted.
- Ice water be sure to add lots of ice to the water, stir and rest before you use it. This helps the butter stay cold so you end up with a flaky crust.
- Sweet potatoes I like to use red garnet variety. Other orange varieties work as well but dont use white or purple sweet potatoes.
- Evaporated milk I like to use the small 5 oz. can so I dont have leftover but if you only have a larger can that will work but be sure to measure amount listed.
- Eggs this helps bind the pie filling together and make a custard type filling. They are crucial to the recipe.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger with the ratios here I recommend sticking with each separate spice rather than using a spice blend.
- Vanilla extract this adds another faint background flavor in the pie. Use real vanilla for best flavor.
Scroll down for full printable recipe.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie From Scratch
This sweet potato pie is easy to make! Heres how you do it:
Spices For Sweet Potato Pie
Again, the two pies are so similar, you can pick and choose among your favorites: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, mace, allspice, cloves, or five-spice powder , are all contenders.
Pumpkin isnt as bold in flavor as sweet potatoes. Therefore, it depends upon a good amount of added spices. But I see no reason not to spice up sweet potato pie in the same way.
Most Southern cooks will tell you that nutmeg is traditionally the favorite spice.
Don’t Miss: Tillamook Marionberry Pie Ice Cream Review
How To Blind Bake Pie Crust
If you are making a pie that requires a pre-baked crust, once you have transferred the pie dough to the pie plate, use a fork and lightly prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust.
Top the pie dough with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for about 8 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow too cool. Remove the pie weights to use again and discard the foil or parchment paper.
Roast And Mash The Sweet Potatoes
Many sweet potato pie recipes call for boiling the sweet potatoes but in this recipe they are roasted. Roasting takes a bit longer but is completely hands-off, and you dont have to worry about peeling or slicing them.
Simply poke the sweet potatoes with a fork five or six times and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until very tender, about 1 hour.
Let cool, then scoop the pulp out of the skin into a medium bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until smooth.
Also Check: Shepherds Pie Campbells Soup
Japanese Sweet Potato Pie
- Posted on: 10-2021
I spotted Japanese Sweet potatoes recently in a grocery store. Japanese sweet potatoes are called satsuma-imo. I had heard of them, but had never seen them.. They are a deep red/purple color on the outside and white on the inside. These were larger than what I expected. I decided to try some, not sure what I was going to do with them. After I boiled them I almost didnt want to make the pie, they were so tasty.
Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
For the crust: Combine flour, sugar, salt, and cornmeal in a food processor and pulse a few times. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles large peas. Add egg yolk and water with food processor running, then pulse once or twice until the dough holds together. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Need a feisty and fun sweet potato recipe for your holiday table that won’t give you a sugar crash before the pumpkin pie is served? Then this recipe is. Need a feisty and fun sweet potato recipe for your holiday table that won’t give you a sugar crash before the pumpkin pie is served? Then this recipe is. Recipes. Breakfast Brunch
Don’t Miss: Gordon Ramsay Key Lime Pie
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes
This recipe requires either cooked mashed sweet potatoes or canned sweet potato puree. To make it homemade, you can cook it in 1 of 3 ways:
- Bake the sweet potatoes. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork and place on a large half sheet baking pan. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until tender. Let cool completely and remove the skin. Mash it with a fork and set aside.
- Boil the sweet potatoes. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with at least 1-inch of water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 30-35 minutes until tender. Let cool under running water and remove the skin. Mash it with a fork and set aside.
- Pressure cook or cook in an instant pot. Place 1 cup cold water and a steamer rack in the instant pot pressure cooker. Place sweet potatoes on the steamer rack. Switch to pressure cooking mode on manual high and seal the lid. Cook the sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes until tender. Once the time is up, quick release pressure or wait until all of the steam has released and the valve has dropped. Let cool under running water and remove the skin. Mash it with a fork and set aside.
How To Freeze & Store
- How to store leftovers. Leftover sweet potato pie can last in the refrigerate for 4 or 5 days when tightly wrapped and covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Can you freeze sweet potato pie? Yes, this pie can be frozen. Bake as directed then allow to cool completely. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and again in aluminum foil, then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
You May Like: Key Lime Pie Co
Is Sweet Potato Pie A Black Thing
Ive always had sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday dinners. And sometimes even on New Years.
Thats because sweet potato pie was made by Black folks back in Africa when they used the native grown vegetable, yams.
African-Americans today have continued the tradition of sweet potato pie with holiday dinners.
How To Know When The Sweet Potato Pie Is Done
The best sweet potato pie recipe may take less time on your oven . Check the pie at the 45 minute mark, if the pie jiggles in the middle the Pie is done, and if the pie sloshes put the pie back into the oven to cook longer checking every 10 minutes to make sure you do not over bake the pie. If you see the pie crust getting dark, add tinfoil around the edges of the pie crust to avoid it burning.
Don’t Miss: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Dipped In Chocolate
What Makes A Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie
Every Southern sweet potato pie is not a Black folks sweet potato pie. Unless made with a flawless blend of soul food sweet and savory spices and fresh sweet potatoes!
Black folks are known for their unique sweet potato pie recipe. Creamy and decadent comfort food at its finest!
Sweet potato pie is the only thing better than pumpkin pie after Thanksgiving dinner.
With traditional brown sugar and butter flavors complemented by hints of vanilla extract to create the perfect balance of sweetness and rich, warm spice, its hard to enjoy only one little piece of Black folks sweet potato pie!
Shop my kitchenware!