Key Lime Pie Classic: Little Effort
These are ones consisting of a store-bought graham cracker crust, usually, a filling that is heavier and denser than most pies as a result of more condensed milk and less lime juice, making it sweeter and less tart. The key lime juice generally comes from a bottle Whipped cream may come from a can.
Key Lime Pie: The Sweeter Side Of Keys Cuisine
FLORIDA KEYS — Virtually every travel destination boasts a signature dish that shouldn’t be missed by the curious traveler. For example, there’s New Orleans’ jambalaya, Chicago’s deep-dish pizza and Philadelphia’ cheese steak sandwich. In the Florida Keys & Key West, that dish is Key lime pie.
Key lime pie is made from the Key lime, a fruit indigenous to the Florida Keys that’s smaller and rounder than limes found in a grocery store. Key lime pie is the official pie of the State of Florida, and millions of slices are savored every year by visitors and locals.
While the pie’s exact birthdate and creator are unknown, it was likely created in Key West in the late 19th century predating refrigeration and the Overseas Railway that brought fresh ingredients like milk to the island at high speed.
Recipes for the original Key lime pie did not require refrigeration or baking. Instead, the acid in the Key lime juice reacts chemically with the other ingredients, a process called souring, and “cooks” the pie.
The typical ingredients of an authentic Key lime pie are sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, Key lime juice and a piecrust generally made from butter and graham crackers. The egg yolks give the pie a yellowish coloring green pies are not authentic.
“I’m always amazed that these simple ingredients can make such a wonderful pie,” said Kermit Carpenter, resident Key lime pie expert and the owner of Kermit’s Key West Key Lime Shoppe.
Chocolate-dipped on a stick, yum!
Winner Winner Key Lime Pie For Dinner
Well there ya have it! Out of the 10 Key Lime pies I tried, Chef Michaels was the winner. The race for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th was quite tight, and it was really tough to put those in order. Congrats to Chef Michaels, and all of the other restaurants. I would order any of these Key lime pies again, as none of them were bad. A big high five to Lucys for their Key Lime Mousse.
If you are at any of these restaurants, give the Key Lime Pie a try. You wont be disappointed!
Don’t Miss: Pyrex Deep Dish Pie Plate
Kermits Key Lime Pie Shop Key West
Kermits Key Lime Pie Shop, owned by Kermit Carpenter, is a Key West institution. He is known to stand outside his brightly painted yellow and green store throwing pies at people for fun. His pies are light, fluffy, and creamy. The recipe is heavy on the egg yolks, which makes it very light. He tries to source fresh key limes from throughout the state and while the crust is not homemade, the whipped cream is. He also features key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate.
Tips To Making The Best Key Lime Pie
- Allow it to cool down first , THEN place it in your fridge.
- Allow the pie to chill at least 3 hours
- Did you know placing things you need cold quickly on the BOTTOM shelf is best. Cold air falls. That is also what I did during the competition, placed it in the bottom of their commercial refrigerators I swear that helped me! I also told a few others to do the same :).
- Dont put whipped cream on until shortly before serving for best/prettiest results.
- Either dont cover the pie or have it in a domed container. Plastic wrap will stick your beautifully formed pie and mess it up.
If you enjoy making desserts as much as I do, you need to try one or all of the following:
Homemade Apple Fritters. Just a handful of ingredients yields a memorable dessert or breakfast treat! Everyone loves an Apple Fitter!
When cranberries are in season, this pie will get rave reviews! Its different and delicious! Get the recipe for this vintage Nantucket Cranberry Pie.
Post updated March 5, 2020Originally published May 12, 2017.
- In your mixing bowl, whip the cream on high until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add in vanilla and powdered sugar and whip until firm whipped cream happens.
- Scrape into a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip and when ready (an hour before serving or so, decorate your pie.
- Sprinkle a little fresh lime zest over-top.
- Keep pie chilled until serving.
Also Check: Hershey Cream Pie Recipe
Key Lime Pie Variations
Weve seen it all Frozen. Dipped in chocolate. We have tasted vegan key lime pies using sour cream, vegan cream cheese, and additions such as mango, peanut butter, Nutella, avocados, and ice cream. Some crusts are made of all kinds of nuts, oreo cookies, cheerios, ginger snaps, pretzels, and animal crackers. We have seen elaborate toppings using fruit blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and everything in between. Weve seen sauces made of honey, caramel, blueberry, fudge, or just cream Anglaise sauce. Whatever your fancy, you can usually do it with key lime pie.
Your Key Lime Pie: Tips
- We suppose we dont need to say this but we will just say it: Fresh is better. For ingredients, use key limes if you can get them, otherwise use fresh limes, but many use bottled juice, or in a pinch, a combination of key limes and limes. If you like your pie tart, fresh is the way to go.
- Also, homemade is better especially the crust. But if you dont have time, dont fret, its the filling that really makes the difference.
- One tip we learned on our sampling tour, by increasing the egg yolks or juice, makes the pie lighter. But, it is all about personal preference.
- Use the zest from the limes it will make the pie tarter.
- A hand press works best for squeezing the limes.
- Use a glass pan, not aluminum. Key limes react to aluminum.
So whats the best key lime pie we have ever tasted? We humbly tell you that it is the one the original creator of AuthenticFlorida.com, Robin Draper, makes. She has perfected it and its simply delicious. Its homemade, light, and very tart. Whats the secret? Try it and youll find out! Heres the link:
We would love to hear how you make your key lime pie. How about sharing your recipe? If you have a good one, we may make it and feature it on our website or our . Post it in the comments below or email it to us:
Wed also love to know where is your favorite place to get key lime pie, especially if we didnt cover that establishment in this article.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
Savor Local Seafood And Salute Commercial Fishermen At Key West Festival
KEY WEST, Florida Keys For nearly 200 years, Key Wests cuisine has been based around the bounty of the sea. Seafood lovers can feast on fresh local lobster, finfish, shrimp, stone crab claws and more and salute the hardy fishermen who spend their careers harvesting it during the Florida Keys Seafood Festival set for Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 15-16.
The 16th annual festival is set for 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at Key Wests Bayview Park, located at Truman Avenue and Jose Marti Drive.
Presented by the Florida Keys Commercial Fishermens Association, the mouthwatering family-friendly gathering was conceived to showcase regional seafood and generate awareness about the history and significance of the Keys commercial fishing industry.
Attendees can purchase and savor offerings that typically include grilled Florida spiny lobster, fried fish baskets or platters, stone crab claws, smoked fish dip, peel-and-eat Key West pink shrimp and more all caught, prepared and served by Keys commercial fishermen and their families.
The menu also includes favorite dishes such as conch chowder, ceviche and fritters as well as traditional flan and Key lime pie. Soft drinks, beer, wine and other libations are to be available for purchase as well.
Admission is $10 per adult, good for both days, and includes entry in a raffle for $250 worth of seafood. Children under age 12 are admitted free.
Did someone say conch fritters?
Key West pink shrimp galore.
How To Make Florida Keys Key Lime Pie
- 1Graham Crust: Preheat oven to 350* 9″ Pie PlateLightly spray pie plate with butter spray.Blend crumbs, butter, and sugar in a bowl. Spoon into pie plate and, using wax paper press firmly against sides and bottom . Bake 8-10 min Let cool before filling.
- 2Filling: While the crust is cooling start your filling. Beat yolks with condensed milk just to blend, add lime juice and beat until smooth . Tint pale green and pour into graham shell. Chill 2 hourx
- 3Whipping Cream: Heavy cream, in large bowl, put in sugar becareful not to get it twisted in the mixer. Put the setting on high, till you have stiff peaks.
- 4Pull pie out of frig and spread whip cream over the top of the pie garnish with lime zest. Put back into frig for several hours before serving or better yet overnightso the filling is somewhat firm, Serve with lime slices, you may want to sprinkle a bit of suger on the limes.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
You May Like: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I Let My Family And A Couple Of Friends Blind Test Both Key Lime Pie Recipes And The Result Was Down The Middle Sothe Night Of The Competition I Brought Both Thinking I Would Decide Which To Use In The Moment
As luck would have it, the contestant right next to me in the kitchen I was assigned to also brought tequila as her secret ingredientAaah! THAT ended up making my choice easysour cream it was!
Marissa from the Preston & Steve Morning show brought chocolate, Alex Holley from Fox News brought grits , my food blogger bestie, Linda, brought Key Lime Liquor, another food blogger friend, Lisa brought Candied Pecans and on and on it went.
It was just like an episode of Masterchef or Top Chef, we all had to stand in our placesIngredients were set up and Chef Bobby yelled ReadySetGO!!! And we were off! It was a little bit crazy!
Key Largo Fisheries Bayside Cafe
Dont forget dessert! In all of the Keys, the local restaurants are fanatical about serving the best Key Lime pie and so visitors will find many different versions of the traditional sweet. At Chef Bobbys Sundowners restaurant, they serve the pie piled high with meringue, the traditional topping.
From frozen key lime pie to chiffon-style or a custard pie that is the original, there are so many different variations. Bobbys favorite pie, besides the one he makes in his restaurants, can be found at Key Largo Fisheries Bayside Café. Not too sweet, nice and tart, and served plain without meringue, this pie is a classic and can even be shipped around the country.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Biscuits
Midway Cafe & Coffee Bar
Breakfast like grandma used to make is available at this excellent restaurant in Islamorada.
Located midway in the Keys, the Midway Cafe is one eatery you might pass by. Stop! You dont want to miss the great food. They serve breakfast, lunch, and baked goods. Both indoor and patio dining are available. The breakfasts are scrumptious and the baked goods are a delightful taste-bud treat.
Pro Tip: Many return visitors to the Keys and locals eat here.
Visit Us In The Heart Of The Keys Today
Make Keys Fisheries your favorite stop in the heart of the Florida Keys. Stop by our restaurant and retail market on your next trip to the keys or purchase some fresh local Florida Keys seafood in our online store today. We look forward to becoming your favorite local eatery and seafood provider in the Florida Keys!
You May Like: Original Key Lime Pie Company
Key Largo Conch House
Hidden behind native shrubs, trees, and flowering plants at mile marker 100.2, Key Largo Conch House features a menu of fresh local seafood and delectable desserts. Both indoor and outdoor dining is available.
When we visited, we enjoyed outdoor seating in the mid-afternoon. There was a breeze and lots of shade. I enjoyed the tender coconut macadamia hogfish. Other crowd-pleasing items at the family-owned and operated eatery include crab-stuffed mahi-mahi, conch fritters, lionfish, and conch and lobster ceviche. They have separate menus for each meal. They also serve vintage wines and a variety of brews to complement your meal.
Pro Tip: Take a few minutes to walk around the garden paths and enjoy the plants and flowers.
The Middle Keys’ Most Popular Restaurant Seafood Market And Wholesale Fishery
Located in the heart of the Florida Keys, just North of the 7 Mile Bridge in Marathon, we are centrally located for all visitors to the gorgeous, tropical paradise that is the fabulous Florida Keys. Our Florida Keys seafood restaurant is located on the edge of Florida Bay with gorgeous views and exceptional sunsets on tap for our valued clientele.
Also Check: Seedless Grape Pie
Hog Fish Grill Stock Island
The Hogfish Bar & Grillis a funky tiki-hut restaurant found just north of Key West on Stock Island. Situated near the boat docks, they have very fresh fish and outdoor dining. They get their pies from the Key West Key Lime Pie Company. The pie is huge and the filling stands several inches tall. It has a homemade crust with a good balance of sweet and tart loaded with whipped cream on top.
So after this exhaustive trip , we have some recommendations for you for making your own best key lime pie.
First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery
301 Whitehead Street, Key West, Florida 33040, USA 305-293-8484
Key Lime Pie with Oreo Crust and Whipped Cream The 9th slice of Key lime pie I tried was quite tasty, but quite a stray from tradition. The Oreo crust and pieces in the filling, while quite delicious, overpowered the rest of the pie, and took away from he tartness you come to expect from Key lime pie. However, I would still recommend saving room for this sweet treat after dinner at First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery!
Also Check: American Pie – Band Camp Trailer