How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make chicken pot pie you need pie pastry. No doubt, you can buy it at you local food market, but you will have much better results making your own. The pie pastry in this recipe is so good, yet so easy to make, that most people with whom I shared this recipe got quite surprised.
The secret to a perfect pie crust is not the amount of work, or some special ingredients, its how you make it. Just follow the easy instructions this recipe and I promise you, you will have one of the best tasting pies youve ever had.
The Best Chicken Pot Pie
I am not exaggerating when I say this is the BEST chicken pot pie recipe EVER. It’s amazing. Flaky pie crust, a buttery, creamy filling with classic chicken and vegetables, and my secret ingredient weapon.
This recipe is not only the most popular on the blog. It’s also the most popular in our own family, with my kids requesting it for their birthday dinner, and our extended family begging me to make it for get-togethers. It’s seriously that good.
What makes this chicken pot pie amazing is three things.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Creamy Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken With rotisserie chicken ready to go, youll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and youll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
How To Freeze Chicken Pot Pie:
Pot pies are a great freezer meal option for busy families!
You can prepare a pot pie up to the point of baking, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, simply unwrap and bake at 400 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown .
You can also freeze a completely baked pot pie, after it cools to room temperature. Just wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze up to 3 months. To serve, unwrap and bake at 400 degrees F for 30-40 minutes until heated through.
How To Make The Best Chicken Pot Pie:
Here are some of my favorite cooking tools:
You May Like: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Ar
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
Also Check: Banana Cream Pie Milkshake Sonic
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Its quite easy to make a chicken pot pie. Its a little harder to make a great tasting chicken pot pie where all ingredients just work together perfectly well. In this recipe, all ingredients are in perfect balance. You will get a creamy and delicious filling enclosed into a buttery-soft, flaky pie crust. Here are the basic steps that describe to make this chicken pot pie:
How To Freeze Chicken Pot Pies
To freeze cooked pot pies, cool them down completely. Then chill in a fridge until cold. After that, place in a freezer. Once frozen, wrap in foil, then in freezer-quality plastic wrap. The pies will keep in a freezer for up to 3 months and even longer, depending on how cold your freezer gets.
To freeze unbaked pot pies, assemble them in baking dishes / ramekins. Place in the freezer. Once frozen, pop the pies out of the pie dishes, wrap in foil and then in freezer-quality plastic wrap. Freeze up to 3 months.
Recommended Reading: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
I use homemade pie crust for this recipe, since I usually have some on in my freezer. You can use a store-bought pie crust if you want, but watch the cook time because the store-bought crusts are thinner and will brown faster. You may want to cover the crust with tinfoil part way through baking.
To make a homemade crust for chicken pot pie, combine the flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the shortening and butter and use a pastry blender to cut everything together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add ice water, just a tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to clump together.
Form the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I have the BEST trick for rolling out pie crust, here.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make a chicken pot pie crust from scratch, youll whisk together flour, and salt, cut in cold butter and shortening using either a pastry blender or your food processor, and then drizzle in ice-cold water. Mix until a dough has formed, divide into two discs , and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Easy Tips To Make The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- If the chicken mixture is too thin, scoop out some of the liquid or pour 1/4 cup water into a small bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of flour. Stir the flour mixture back into the saucepan and heat a few more minutes to thicken.
- This dish is very versatile as it can be made entirely of vegetables or other leftover meats such as turkey, ham, or cooked leftover chicken.
- To make it vegetarian-friendly, omit the chicken, replace it with Knorr Vegetable Broth, and add more vegetables.
- You can substitute the puff pastry for homemade or store-bought pie crust.
- Peas and carrots are traditional vegetables used in chicken pot pie however, feel free to use other vegetables, such as frozen mixed vegetables or what you have on hand or like best.
- To make a lump-free white sauce, whisk in the flour and then keep stirring as the broth is added.
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
Yes! Chicken pot pie is one of our favorite freezer meals.
To freeze, simply follow the recipe instructions, except for egg-washing and baking. Cover and freeze for up to about 3 months .
To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then follow the remaining instructions for the recipe. It will likely need an additional 5-10 minute bake time due to it being cold in the refrigerator.
Also Check: Sonic Banana Cream Pie Shake Recipe
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- If you don’t want to use the store-bought pie crust, you can prepare your own homemade pie crust to use with this recipe.
- Top the pot piewith puff pastry instead of pie crust by following these instructions.
- For an old fashioned chicken pot pie with a double crust , follow these instructions.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add different vegetables to the filling, such as frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn kernels, or crisp-tender steamed broccoli.
- Season the filling with fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash for an even deeper brown color and a bit of shine.
- Turn this recipe into individual chicken pot pies! You can divide the filling evenly among individual ramekins or oven-proof bowls and cut the pie crust to fit over each smaller dish. You may need to use 2 pie crusts, since you are cutting the dough and will likely have some waste from the scraps. The baking time will remain about the same.
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie Key West
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This easy chicken pot pie is a savory pie filled with chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and peas in a creamy homemade sauce. Some versions of the dish include a bottom crust and a top crust, while other pot pie recipes only use a top crust. The topping can be made with a classic pie pastry, with biscuits, or even with puff pastry. While pot pie is believed to have originated in Greece, it’s now a very popular dish in America .
You just can’t beat the ease of this particular recipe, which tastes like a made-from-scratch labor of love — but actually takes advantage of a handful of simple shortcuts . When comfort food is calling your name, this is the only homemade chicken pot pie recipe that you will ever need!
How To Make Authentic Pa Dutch Chicken Pot Pie
Theres nothing better on a chilly day than sitting down to enjoy some hot and fresh chicken pot pie. However, if youre from the Central PA area you also know that chicken pot pie isnt made with a crust. Its actually a cozy pot of stew.
If youre looking to try more special PA Dutch foods, this blog is the perfect place to get started and learn how to make the bestchicken pot pie from scratch. Below well take a closer look at everything you need to know to make and serve this special treat.
Want to get started now? Jump to the recipe to learn how to make chicken pot pie.
Recommended Reading: Américan Pie Band Camp Trailer