How To Make A Crumble Or Crisp For The Top Of A Pie
In a mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, room temperature butter, salt, and cinnamon. Use a sturdy fork or pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like course crumbs.
Spread the crumble over the top of the peach filling.
Finally, whisk together an egg with a little water until frothy. Brush the mixture on the outside edges of the crust. Sprinkle with sugar if you like.
Easy Peach Pie With Canned Peaches
May 18, 2020
This easy peach pie with canned peaches is healthier than most and an absolute breeze to make. It calls for only five easy-to-find ingredients and requires no special skills or prior baking experience. If you go with a vegan pie crust, this peach pie is also 100% vegan.
This pie is a slightly healthier, plant-based version of a traditional peach pie. But you would never guess from the taste. Its packed with sweet and fruity peach flavour, with the perfect flaky crust that just melts in your mouth.
Where I Got The Original Recipe For Peach Pie
All that said, heres a great recipe for a classic, homemade peach pie. Maybe you will have a chance to make one this summer! Sure hope so, because theres nothing better! I got this recipe from my trusty Pillsbury cookbook that I received as a wedding present 38 years ago, and have been making peach pie using that recipe ever since!
You May Like: 10 Inch Plastic Pie Containers
Homemade Peach Pie Filling
Summer is the perfect time to break out sweet, delicious homemade pies. The warmer weather and longer days just beg for time spent savoring an extra slice of your favorite dessert with all your favorite people. Whether you love pocket-sized apple turnovers, sweet blueberry pie with homemade blueberry pie filling, or tasty peach galette, nothing beats the quintessential summer delight of peach pie. This peach pie filling is made with juicy peaches and rich brown sugar. Spiced with cinnamon and thickened with corn starch, this filling will really make your homemade peach pie shine.
How Many Cups Of Sliced Peaches Do I Need To Make Pie
Peaches come in different sizes so I can only give you an estimate on the amount of peaches you will need. I call this lazy and quick kitchen math! Its close enough for you to plan and have an idea of how many peaches to buy but its not an exact formula so no angry emails please!
- 1 pound of peaches is approximately 3 to 4 medium peaches.
- 1 pound of peaches makes approximately 2 3/4 cups to 3 cups of sliced peaches.
- This pie recipe calls for 2 pounds of peaches so you will need about 7 to 8 peaches which is a bit less than 6 cups of sliced peaches.
- If you bake often, or just for the holidays, invest on a nice but affordablekitchen scale. You will be happy you did.
- The Southern state of Georgia is known as the Peach state.
- Georgia grows about 130 million pounds of peaches per year however, California and South Carolina are the largest producers of peaches in the United States.
- The heaviest peach was harvested in 2018 in Peach County, Georgia and weighted 1 pound and 12 ounces. A medium-size peach usually weighs less than 6 ounces.
- There are hundres of peach varieties but they are only categorized as 2 types. freestones and clingstones. The flesh of freestone peaches separates easily from the pit while the flesh from the clingstones cling to the pit!
- Peach + Plum Nectarine.
Take A Look At These Other Delicious Peach Recipes:
Also Check: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix
The Ultimate Peach Pie Tips
Overload your pie with fruit
You always want a pie that is mounded with fruit. This goes for any fruit pie. It will cook down and if you want a nice, juicy and thick fruit filling, do NOT by shy. Dont trust a fruit pie recipe that calls for 4 cups of fruit. Always 5-6 cups for a standard 9-inch pie plate.
Bake at 2 different temperatures
I like to start my peach pie off at 475F without the crumble on top to really get the pie hot so the filling has a chance to start bubbling and cooking down within a reasonable amount of time. After 25 minutes, I lower the heat to a standard 350F, add the crumble and bake until golden and bubbly.
Cinnamon and vanilla
Honestly, can you tell me that peaches arent better with cinnamon and vanilla? I thought so. Same goes for pie! Dont be shy.
If a fully set up and beautifully sliceable pie is what youre after, make sure your pie comes to room temp before you cut into it. It needs time to cool and the starch will help the filling gel so you get nice, clean slices.
Trust me, these 3 tips will take your peach pie baking to the next level!
Kitchen Tools You May Need
- Pie Plate This pie plate are so pretty, and they make fluting a pie crust a no-brainer.
- Whisk I love my whisks and have them in several sizes, shapes, and colors. I have a gadget obsession I guess and love these!
- Pie Server The first piece of pie is the hardest to get out right? I find that this server does a great job getting every slice of pie out of the pie plate. Its great for pizza or quiche too.
Don’t Miss: One Peanut Butter Pie Bars
How Do You Make A Peach Pie From Scratch
Youll add the sugars in a large bowl along with the peaches and toss to coat. Cover it and let it sit for an hour. Youll line your pie plate with the first sheet of your pie dough and put it in the fridge. After an hour, drain your peaches and reserve the juice. In a small saucepan, add cornstarch and seasonings. Slowly stir in that reserved juice and boil it. Cook until it thickens, then remove from heat and add lemon juice and butter. Fold peaches in and pour it all into your crust. Top with the second sheet of pie crust cut into strips and make a lattice pattern. You can brush with egg wash it you like. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then take the foil off and bake 15 to 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
To Make Pie With Frozen Peaches
Defrost peaches before mixing with other filling ingredients. If using canned peaches drain them well.
How Many Peaches Make 1 Cup? Heres a quick guide to help you plan for this recipe, and other peachy preparations you might encounter:
- 2 medium peaches make approximately one cup sliced.
- 10 ounces of frozen peaches equals one cup sliced.
- 1 16-ounce can is equivalent to two cups of sliced peaches.
Crumb Topping: To Make a Crumb Topping use a single pie crust and combine the following. Sprinkle over the peach pie.
- 2/3 cup flour
Don’t Miss: Pillsbury Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Recommended Tools For Peach Pie
- Pastry Wheel.
- 9-Inch Pie Plate. This is the pie dish that I use, and I love how it comes with a lid that comes in so handy for storing!
- Pastry Brush. This is for brushing on an egg wash before baking your pie. I like to use a silicone pastry brush because its easy to wash and sanitize.
- Non-Slip Pastry Mat. I love this thing! It helps me to roll out pie dough without messing up my counter, and it has measurements on it to help know how large my circle is.
I know that you and your family are going to love this delicious, homemade peach pie! Make sure to pin this recipe for more people to see too.
How To Make Peach Dump Cake
You May Like: Pie In Your Face Game
How To Make The Bourbon Caramel Sauce
What Is Dump Cake
A dump cake is known for ease because you dump ingredients into the cake pan. Most dump cakes are made in 9Ã13 inch pans. Most dump cakes use canned/frozen/fresh fruit or canned pumpkin.
Dump cakes are known for sprinkling a box of dry cake mix over the ingredients in the pan and then adding melted butter on top of the cake mix.
Itâs magical what happens inside the oven. Even I was like âIs this going to work??â
The result is a cobbler like dessert with fruit pieces and cake mixed together! Itâs not the type of cake you cut into neat squares, just scoop it onto your plate and eat!
You May Like: Shepherd’s Pie With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
The Easiest Way To Skin A Peach
Creamy Keto Peach Pie Filling
This wonderful cream pie filling is really easy to make. When you see that you need to stir the eggs with heavy whipping cream on the stove, it might sound scary, especially for an unexperienced baker. However, that just sounds scary. In reality, its so easy!
Just relax, follow my directions and you will be successful, 100%
For the beginning, you need a large heavy sauce pan. Add heavy whipping cream, eggs and sweetener, beat them well until smooth liquid is formed and put it on a medium high heat. Watch it all the time. When it starts simmering, reduce the heat to medium low and stir for 1-2 minutes. After 2 minutes, it starts to be thicker, but still liquid. Just remove it from the stove and set it aside.
Stirring part is important, as well as reducing the heat, because you dont want the scrambled eggs. You need to get smooth mixture. However, if it starts crumbling, just remove it from the stove and stir more vigorously.
Second step is to make peach puree. Thats easy part, just peal the peaches and blend them in a blender or with immersion mixer until puree is formed. Put the puree in a small sauce pan with 1 TBS of gelatin and bring it to simmer on a medium heat.
Combine it with 1 cup of mascarpone cheese and add it to previously prepared smooth mixture with eggs. Combine everything together, add vanilla and peach extract, stir, and pour on top of baked crust. Leave it to rest in the fridge for few hours.
Before serving put whipped heavy whipping cream on top.
Recommended Reading: Where To Order Key Lime Pie
Can I Substitute The Peaches
Yep, you can sub out the peaches for apples or berries like strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries! You may need to play around with the sugar ratio, though.
This fried peach pie recipe makes 8 hand pies. Next time I think Ill make them even small for cute bite-sized fried pies!
Let’s Make The Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Add water and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface and begin kneading until you have a soft, uniform ball of dough.
- Cut dough into 8 equal size pieces and roll into a ball.
- Place dough balls on a baking sheet and press them into a disc. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Let’s Make the Peach Filling
- In a large saucepan, add peaches, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Toss to coat peaches in sugar.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat until peaches are tender enough to mash.
- Mash the peaches
- Allow the peaches to continue simmering until thickened and the juices have dissolved.
- Stir in butter and lemon juice.
- Stir in cornstarch if needed.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Set aside.
Make The Glaze
- In a large bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until silky.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Set aside until ready to use.
Let’s Make and Fry The Pies
Why This Recipe Works:
- 30 Minutes is all it takes to make a batch.
- Its easy to double or triple the batch to make lots at once.
- Not only is it delcious served right away, but you can freeze it for later and it still tastes amazing!
- Peach pie filling is really versatile and can be used in peach cobbler, peach icebox cake, or peach pies.
Don’t Miss: What Is In Apple Pie Spice
How To Make Homemade Peach Pie
Unroll the pie crust and place it on the pie dish.
In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced peaches and the lemon juice.
Add the sugars, spices, salt and cornstarch.
Place the pie filling mixture into the pie shell.
Create the lattice top for the pie by cutting the pie dough into strips and lay half of the strips horizontally.
Weave the other strips in place vertically.
Brush the pie with egg wash and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Allow the pie to cool completely.