Tips For Making The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Instead of just one, you can also double the crust such that your pie has one on top and one at the bottom. It will give your pie an additional layer of bread that will soak up the sauce nicely. Double the crust, double the goodness!
- To save time, you can always use a store-bought crust. Guilty as charged.
- Make your pie even richer and more delectable by adding ¾ cup of cheddar cheese. Its amazing how one ingredient can transform an entire meal!
- For an even heartier filling, add some cubed potatoes. Save yourself the trouble of slicing by using frozen country-style hash browns. Adding corn, celery, and broccoli also gives the pie an excellent flavor.
- Make the sauce even more flavorful by adding some cooked onion, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, thyme, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. These common pantry seasonings make for an out-of-this-world gravy!
- People normally use leftover chicken for their chicken pot pie, but if do not have any, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken instead. Plus, its an easy way to save time.
- Just because the recipe has chicken in its name does not mean you should only limit yourself to that protein. You can use leftover turkey to make this dish, as well!
- Speaking of modifications, here is a great way to give your pie an earthy flavor: add some mushrooms to the filling!
- Brush the top crust with some egg wash for a golden brown pie.
Turkey Or Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie is always a family favorite, and it is SO incredibly easy. Sometimes I even cheat a little to make it easier when I know that I will have very little time to prepare a good dinner.
On those nights, I use precooked, diced chicken, so I don’t even have to cut the chicken breasts into pieces. I still do the same step of heating it in the olive oil with the onion, garlic salt, and pepper, I just heat it a few minutes less since it is already cooked.
Or, I save a few dollars by using the leftovers from my Slow Cooker Whole Chicken recipe. That is a lot cheaper than buying pre-cooked chicken and it gives the pot pie an extra boost of flavor from the spices in that recipe!
This is also a great way to use up that leftover holiday turkey! Just substitute diced turkey for the chicken.
The rest of the recipe couldn’t be easier, just toss in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken soup, some milk, pour the whole thing into a refrigerated pie crust, toss the second crust on top, and you are good to go!
The Best Fall Comfort Foods
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is one I keep handy for days where time seems to pass faster than I realize and need to get dinner started quickly.
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie The Profit
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and youre looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine.
When the clock says 3 oclock, and dinner plans are not finalized, a run to the grocery store is a must.
Quick tips for this easy recipe if you are pressed for time:
- Pick up a couple of fresh rotisserie chickens in the deli department. This is always my already cooked protein of choice, and I can use the leftover carcass to make a nice bone broth or soup.
- and a Pillsbury Pie Crust.
I know- you are probably going to ask Kelly, why dont I make everything from scratch?! and I will say because your family is going to be hungry in an hour!
I can be a purist when it comes to pie crust, but when pressed for time, store-bought pie crust is the way to go.
You May Like: Nutritional Value Of Lentil Soup
Tips For Freezing This Soup
- Leave out the half and half if you plan to freeze, then it will freeze and thaw without becoming grainy. Once thawed, add the half and half mixed with cornstarch to the thawed soup and simmer until thickened.
- Regular evaporated milk, or heavy cream freeze much better than half and half. The higher the fat content, the better it freezes. If you think you might freeze this chicken pot pie soup, then plan on using either of these alternatives.
- If freezing with half and half, reheat the thawed soup very gently over low heat to help incorporate the cream back into the soup.
- If freezing with half and half, add some fresh cream or softened cream cheese to improve the grainy texture.
Also Check: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie Company
Tips For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Leftover turkey after Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great idea. Comfort food is always a good option.
- Keep it vegetarian. Skip the meat and add more vegetables. Swap in some potatoes, peas, carrots, and mushrooms!
- Take away the heavy cream and substitute with fat free milk. You may want to add in an extra tablespoon of flour to help this soup thicken up.
- Another way to cut calories would be to remove the cheese and pie crust dippers. I know. Those pie crust dippers are one of the best parts. But if you dont make them, you wont miss them.
Donât Miss: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Whats Best To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I love to make this an all out comfort food dinner, so I like to serve with:
Read Also: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Ar
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
My very first recipe to ever go viral was my Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Braid. I remember watching how many people were on my website and it going up and up and up. It was around that time that I thought maybe, just maybe, this was something I could do for a living.
I am constantly reminded of how lucky I am to do this.
Well, these Mini Chicken Pot Pies are a spin on that recipe. A cross between hand-pies and Chicken Pot Pie. They are full of all the delicious flavor you love, but made super easy. Kids and adults will love this delicious handheld dinner and it will make a fun party appetizer too!
I made this today for a luncheon they are delicious and delightfully easy to make! Ill make these again. Got lots of compliments!
More Chicken Breast Recipes
This chicken soup is my go-to when time is crunched and I dont have time to whip up my other favorite, Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.
Plus, when you make this soup recipe in the slow cooker.its essentially a one pot meal.so one pot to clean. And if youre looking for another quick and easy dinner for time pressed weeknight dinners..this Chicken and Dumplings Skillet Casserole is as amazing as it gets.
Quick and comforting..I mean, those biscuits on top are a meal all by themselves. Dont you agree?
If you really want another soup recipe to tuck under your belt, this easy Chicken Tortellini Soupis nothing short of amazing. Or just go for simple and make the best ever Baked Chicken Breast. Its sooooo simple.
Recommended Reading: Hardee’s Apple Pie
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie Soup
As a general rule of thumb, creamy soups do not freeze well as the texture can become unpleasantly grainy as the dairy and fat separate. You can still freeze the soup with these expectations, or omit the half and half when freezing, then add the half and half to the soup after thawing then you will have no problem. Alternatively, you can swap the half and half for evaporated milk .
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 1 10 oz. can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water , and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
This recipe uses one bag of frozen mixed vegetables and now is the step to add them to your saucepan. Stir to incorporate into the soup mixture until nice hot.
There is nothing easier or quicker for a hearty meal than grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the store. I throw one of these in my shopping cart at least once a week to save time.
In this instance, I just shred up the meat and add it to the pot with spices and simmer it until it starts to bubble.
You May Like: Rattlesnake Ranch Pecans
Chicken Pot Pie Made With Pillsbury Pie Crusts
As a child I grew up eating those cute little frozen pot pies. I learned at a young age how to poke holes in the top and heat them up. To be honest, its still a comforting meal to me, and sometimes Ill find them on special at the grocery store for $.75 each and buy a few.
I like to recreate some of my favorite boxed or frozen meals that I enjoyed growing up, and make them homemade without all that nasty sodium and preservatives. A few months ago I posted a status update on my facebook that I was making a chicken pot pie using Pillsbury Pie Crusts. I asked if anyone would like the recipe and some interest was shown so I had planned to share it with you during our move. Unfortunately over the course of that move I misplaced my folder that I write all my recipes down in that Im making and testing. Thankfully I found it, so now I can share this delicious recipe with you! Maybe it will bring about fond and comforting memories for you as well!
- 2-1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust , brought to room temperature
|Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Begin by sauteing your onion with the butter in a medium saucepan.|
|Add the garlic and celery, heat until just softened.|
|Stir in flour and whisk quickly until well blended.|
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
This question comes up a lot and the answer is yes! The best way to achieve this is to prepare your chicken pot pie up to the point before baking.
and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Freezing Tip: On top of the foil, write baking time and temperature in sharpie marker and the date you froze your dish.
before baking. Place frozen pie on a sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes longer than fresh bake.
Be sure the center is bubbling and crust is baked before removing.
Don’t Miss: Pyrex 8 Inch Pie Plate
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken
Yes! Rotisserie chicken is my second choice to use in this recipe after chicken thighs. Rotisserie chicken comes lightly seasoned for an added depth of flavor and is a mix of both light and dark meat. It also comes perfectly tender and ready to slurp up.
To use rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken, discarding the bones and add about 3 cups shredded chicken to the soup at the end with the peas to warm through. If using rotisserie chicken, youll skip the salt and pepper used in the beginning of the recipe to season the chicken and season to taste at the end of cooking.
To Make Chicken Pot Pie You Will Need:
- Pie crust You can make a crust from scratch, but I like using a refrigerated pie dough.
- Cream of celery soup You can substitute cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, as well.
- Mixed Vegetables I typically use frozen mixed vegetables that include carrots, corn, peas and green beans. You could also use canned vegetables or something like Veg-All
- Chicken Broth I always keep cans or cartons of chicken broth in the pantry to use in recipes.
- Cooked Chicken Leftover roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken or poached chicken works for this recipe.
- Deep dish pie pan For best results, use a deep dish pie pan since the chicken pie has a lot of filling.
- Salt and pepper
Recommended Reading: Turkey Pot Pie Campbell’s Soup
Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie Soup
The key to making great chicken pot pie soup, is to adequately season. Be sure to taste and season at the end.
- Aromatics Onions, carrots, celery, and garlic are cooked in butter as a base for flavoring the soup.
- Mushrooms sauteeing until golden adds a boost of flavor
- Flour just 1/3 cup thickens the soup to make it creamy
- Chicken Stock homemade bone broth will taste best, but storebought works.
- Potatoes we used Yukon gold
- Chicken light or dark meat works great
- Peas and Corn we use frozen peas and corn since we stock them in our freezer, but canned corn will also work.
- Cream heavy or regular whipping cream or even a light cream would work if you want a leaner soup.
- Parsley we love it in the soup for flavor and garnish with it to add color and freshness.