How Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
To bake a frozen pie, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the pie for 30 minutes covered with foil, remove the foil and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot inside.
Baking the pie on a baking sheet covered in foil will make for easy clean-up in case it bubbles over!
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Gravy From Scratch
Did you know that the classic sauce for chicken pot pie is actually a gravy? Yes! It consists of flour, oil, and chicken broth. There are no thickeners like canned soup or cream cheese in this pot pie recipe. You simply dont need them. Flour is all you need for a thickener, and your gravy will be rich, savory, and exactly what you would expect in a traditional filling.
Side note: If you love this American classic, youll also love Chicken a la King! The sauce comes together just like that of Chicken Pot Pie, only theres no crust or bake time its served over rice, pasta, or even biscuits!
To make sauce from scratch for chicken pot pie, youll sprinkle the flour over vegetables that have been sauteed in oil. Once the flour begins to look somewhat glossy youll add in your chicken broth a splash at a time. This method ensures a smooth and luscious gravy every time. Youll continue to add in small increments until the mixture starts to resemble a pudding-like texture, at which point you can add the remaining liquid and let it simmer until slightly thickened.
If youve never made a homemade sauce like this before, fear not this method is foolproof for making gravy.
Also Check: Apple Pie Baked In A Paper Bag
Whats The Best Way To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
Once the chicken pot pie has been cut and served, I find the best way to reheat it is to cover it with aluminum foil and reheat it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Usually, Ive stored the pot pie in the fridge in the same dish I baked it in. To avoid shattering my dish, I pop it into a cold oven. I set the oven to 350°F and allow the dish to warm up along with the oven. This lowers my wait time and protects my ceramic baking dishes. My 15-minute heating time begins when the oven has reached 350°F.
Bake This Recipe As Individual Healthy Chicken Pot Pies
If you want to make chicken pot pie casserole style instead, check out my Chicken and Biscuits recipe.
Recommended Reading: Boston Market Chicken Pot Pie
What Goes In Chicken Pot Pie
Heres what goes in Chicken Pot Pie. Nothing unusual here but just a couple of comments on some of the ingredients:
Stock powder this adds more flavour in the creamy white sauce. I like to use Vegeta which is a vegetable stock powder, but any stock powder will do vegetable or chicken
Parmesan adds umami rather than cheesiness into the sauce. If you dont have parmesan, use about 1 1/2 cups of your favourite cheese and
Peas are missing!
Theres no definitive way to make Chicken Pot Pie. While some choose to make it like a traditional pie with a pastry base and shortcrust topping in a pie dish, I have always and will always make Chicken Pot Pies in POTS with puff pastry lids.
Let me emphasise that in case you missed it I make Chicken POT Pie in POTS.
Truthfully though, the way I make it has nothing to do with the name. I make it in pots because its quickerand easier, and I love draping the pots generously with puff pastry so that the golden flaky lid is fitted tightly on top and around the pots, rather than just a round piece floating on top.
How To Make Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
I use homemade pie crust for this recipe, since I usually have some on in my freezer. You can use a store-bought pie crust if you want, but watch the cook time because the store-bought crusts are thinner and will brown faster. You may want to cover the crust with tinfoil part way through baking.
To make a homemade crust for chicken pot pie, combine the flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the shortening and butter and use a pastry blender to cut everything together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add ice water, just a tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to clump together.
Form the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I have the BEST trick for rolling out pie crust, here.
You May Like: Who Pays The Most Taxes Pie Chart
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
A homemade Chicken Pot Pie is easier and takes less time than you think! We use a deep 9 pie dish for this recipe.
Make-Ahead Tip: Chicken pot pie reheats beautifully. Just warm it in the microwave until heated through. The sauce stays creamy without separating and it tastes just as good as the day you made it!
Easy Steps To Make Chicken Pot Pie
You May Like: Milk Bar Pie Crack Pie
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie:
- This recipe makes enough for about 6 servings
- You can use any oven safe bowl for this. In the past, I’ve used larger bowls. Just make sure, if you use larger bowls or ramekins, you have enough puff pastry to cover them all.
- If you have leftover filling, it can be frozen. I have a small family so I freeze the leftover filling and extra puff pastry and I have another meal ready to go for us later in the month.
- Rotisserie chicken can be used instead of the roasted chicken breasts.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Read Also: How To Make Shepherd’s Pie Easy
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
Ingredients For Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
These days, Im looking for ways to not only get the most bang for my buck at the grocery store but also to maximize my efficiency in the kitchen.
Thats why when I make chicken pot pie with biscuits I go one of two routes
BISCUITS: If Ive got some time on my hands and want a totally homemade meal, Ill make my own biscuits from scratch. But, if Im on more of a time crunch Ill use refrigerated store-bought biscuits. They both taste great when used in chicken pot pie casserole, you cant go wrong!
CHICKEN: If I really want to save time, Ill but a rotisserie chicken at the store. I remove the skin, break the whole thing down, and chop up the chicken. Then I can pick up this recipe at cooking the veggies and go forward from there.
Read Also: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toy
How Long To Bake Chicken Pot Pie
All of the ingredients inside the pot pie are already cooked, so the only thing we are concerned with at this point is the pie crust.
The crust should be fully baked with 45-50 minutes. If the top crust should start to look golden brown before the time is up, simply cover the edges with either a pie shield or with aluminum foil and continue cooking for the allotted amount of time.
There is nothing like a made-from-scratch chicken pot pie. Especially one enveloped in a buttery, flaky, homemade pie crust, decked out with perfectly cooked chicken and vegetables, all smothered in a to-die-for chicken gravy. Please, enjoy!
Make Ahead + Storage Tips
- To Make Ahead. The filling can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months . Add it to the crust just before baking.
- To Store. Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The crust may be a little less crisp after it has been in the refrigerator, but it will still taste delicious.
- To Reheat. Reheat leftover chicken pot pie in a pie dish in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through. You can also rewarm this recipe in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Place leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Read Also: One Peanut Butter Pie Bars
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
Yes! Chicken pot pie is one of our favorite freezer meals.
To freeze, simply follow the recipe instructions, except for egg-washing and baking. Cover and freeze for up to about 3 months .
To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then follow the remaining instructions for the recipe. It will likely need an additional 5-10 minute bake time due to it being cold in the refrigerator.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Lactose Free Key Lime Pie
Ingredients For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breast, or leftover rotisserie chicken works great!
- frozen mixed vegetables, onion and garlic – frozen veggies work great here, the only chopping you’ll do is the onions and garlic.
- cream of chicken soup, milk, cheddar cheese – perfect to make an easy creamy gravy for this pie.
- pie crust – take a shortcut and use a pre-made pie crust.
- garlicsalt, pepper, olive oil – for seasoning and to saute the vegetables.
Assembling A Double Crust Pie
When the dough is ready, youll roll out the bottom crust, lay it in the pie dish, and add your filling. Then, roll out the top pie crust and cover your pot pie with it, bring the bottom crust up and over the top, pinching the two together to enclose. For an extra golden crust and a special touch, brush the pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
Once baked, it will be perfectly golden, flaky and buttery, and the perfect addition to the best chicken pot pie recipe.
Also Check: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Tips And Tricks For Making The Perfect Pot Pie
- Whats my roux supposed to look like? Your roux, the flour and fat paste used to thicken the gravy, should be light in color and crumbly, but not dry. After adding the flour to the pan, the veggies should look like theyre coated in a crumbly, moist batter.
- How do I prevent lumps in my gravy? For a smooth gravy, add the chicken stock gradually about 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Add more stock only after the previous addition has been stirred smooth.
- What if my gravy is too thick or thin? Your gravy should coat the back of the spoon, but be thin enough for you to see through it.
- If your gravy is thin, whisk together a tablespoon of all-purpose flour and a tablespoon of cold water. Whisk this flour slurry into the simmering gravy to thicken it up to the proper consistency.
- If your gravy is thick like pudding, whisk in two to four tablespoons of chicken stock to thin it.