Homemade Chicken Pot Pies
These Homemade Chicken Pot Pies are incredible. Homemade pie crust tops ramekins filled with an easy, lusciously creamy homemade chicken and vegetable filling. Yields 8 in about 90 minutes.
Meet the best homemade chicken pot pies youll ever taste.
Homemade crust check. Loaded with chicken and vegetables check. Easy to prepare check. These pies check all the boxes.
However, I super picky when it comes to pot pie making. For example, I prefer them to be in individual portions. Theyre cute and perfectly portions and because no one wants to fight me over the corner edge. Also there no cream of chicken soup what-so-ever. Just simple ingredients :).
Tips For The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- A cast iron skillet conducts heat far better than a casserole dish or pie plate, so the crust on your pot pie becomes very crisp and flaky. You can substitute with a deep-dish pie plate or a 2-quart casserole dish, but the cast iron skillet yields the best results.
- Place the skillet on the middle or bottom rack in your oven. This helps the bottom crust become nice and crisp, since it’s closer to the heating element.
- Do not poke holes in the bottom pie crust.
- You know that the pot pie is done when the crust is golden brown on top. All of the filling ingredients are already cooked through, so if the inside is bubbly and the top is browned, it’s finished!
- Allow about 20 minutes for the pie to rest before slicing and serving. This will give the filling a chance to set so that it doesn’t run out when you cut into it.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
If you are looking for an old fashioned, traditional chicken pot pie, made from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust, this is it!
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as “Mrs. Hering’s Chicken Pot Pie” in the , from the famed Chicago . First introduced to customers in 1890, it was this Marshall’s chicken pot pie that launched the dish into our national consciousness.
Read Also: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Arkansas
Responses To Chicken Potpie From Scratch
Am bookmarking this page and making this soon!
You can do all butter, but lard gives it a distinctly meaty taste. Lard is rendered pig fat. Its gross. But get it from a good organic/toxin free source and it makes things totally yum. In moderation, of course.
Crisco is poison!
This is something that we lived off of also, during childhood. They were really tasty then. I doubt if they taste anything similar to what we got as children. We always ate 2, one chicken and one beef. Delicious they were, and filling. My grandmother always baked them until the crust was medium brown and crisp! Yum! Maria, you are correct. The best thing about the pot pie is the crust! Without that, its just another soggy meat pie.
You know, I ate my first pot pie a couple of weeks ago and it was store-bought. Ive wanted to make it myself ever since. Thanks for the recipe!
Im definitely going to make this ahhh comfort food that makes you feel like a kid at grandmas table again! Thank you!
I bought a chicken pot pie from Trader Joes a month ago and, honestly, it was inedible. Threw half of it away and I hate wasting food. Im going to try your recipe over the holidays. Thanks.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Other Easy Family Dinner Recipes We Love:
- 2 ozcream cheeseit must be softened to avoid lumps
- 2tspkosher saltadjust to taste
- 1tspblack pepperadjust to taste
- 1/2tspdried thyme or seasoning of your choice
- 1 1/2cupchicken broth
- 1cupmilkwhole works best if available
- 1/2cupheavy whipping creamhalf and half can also be used
- 2cupsdiced, cooked chicken
- 3cupsmixed vegetables Small sized veggies such as diced carrots, peas, corn and potatoes work well. If using frozen, make sure to thaw first
- 1packageready made roll out pie crustsI recommend Pillsbury brand
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Also Check: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pies
Yes! You can freeze unbaked chicken pot pies! Freeze the prepared pies in the muffin mold until solid then remove from the freezer and pop the pies out of the tins with a sharp knife. Transfer the frozen pies into a freezer bag and keep frozen for up to 6 months.
To Reheat Frozen Pies in the Oven: toast in a pre-heated 400°F oven for 30-45 minutes.
Chefs Tip: keep pies frozen in disposable foiled pie pans and transfer pies right into the oven when ready to bake.
Overview: How To Make Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
For the full recipe and lots of step-by-step photos to walk you through the process, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Craving a different variation? This biscuit vegetable pot pie isnt your typical classic pot pie recipe, but its quicker and easier.
Don’t Miss: The Original Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie is a classic, old-fashioned savory pie that’s traditionally made with a flaky, buttery pie crust and a creamy chicken and vegetable filling. There are endless ways to prepare this dish — from single crusts to double crusts, puff pastry to biscuit toppings — and everything in between. This traditional chicken pot pie recipe is the absolute best, and will convert even non-pot-pie-lovers into true, raving fans.
You just can’t beat the made-from-scratch all-butter crust, which gets perfectly flaky and crisp in a cast iron skillet. Add a thick, rich filling and you’ve got an instant winner of a dinner. It’s a great way to use up leftover meat, but it’s also simple enough to prepare with a store-bought rotisserie chicken. When comfort food is calling your name, this is the only homemade chicken pot pie recipe that you will ever need!
Also Check: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
What Is Chicken Pot Pie
Pot Pie is a nickname for this chicken pie. Classic chicken pot pie is a very flavorful savory pie filled with chicken, vegetables, and a gravy sauce. Its an excellent way to feed the family on a cold day since the warm filling is packed inside of a hot flaky crustthat is comfort food at its best!
Whats In Pot Pie? Vegetables like diced potatoes, carrots, peas, celery, and onion are tossed together first before they get covered in a savory sauce. The base to a pie is the pie crust which you can make from scratch or buy ready-made Pillsbury pie crust.
Faqs About Chicken Pot Pie
How do you keep chicken pie from getting soggy on the bottom?
If you find you have a soggy bottom crust I have two suggestions on how to troubleshoot that: Make sure the filling is cooled slightly before adding it to the bottom crust. Bake the chicken pot pie on the lowest rack in your oven to ensure it bakes thoroughly.
How do I thicken chicken pot pie?
Thankfully the homemade sauce in this chicken pot pie recipes ensures that your final result will be a beautifully thick, not liquidy homemade chicken pot pie!
How long does chicken pot pie last in the fridge?
If you don’t eat it all in 24 hours, this chicken pot pie recipe from scratch will last for 3-5 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze Homemade Chicken pot pie?
Yes. I recommend baking the entire thing and then putting it in the freezer. To reheat, simply cover the frozen chicken pot pie with foil and warm it in the oven at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes.
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations. Follow along with me on , , , and . Tag me in your photos #joyfoodsunshine @joyfoodsunshine Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below.
Read Also: Navy Bean Pie Recipes
From Scratch Chicken Pot Pie
For me, a good chicken pot pie is the quintessential comfort food. A perfectly golden-brown crust blankets a medley of vegetables, chicken, and sauce to bind it all together. Mmmm mmmm mmmm. Its an impeccable balance between the flaky crust and velvety guts.
My family has always referred to the filling of a chicken pot pie as the guts. Enough that it took me a minute to remember that it is typically called pie filling. So when I mention the guts here, I am not trying to be gross or off-putting. It just doesnt feel right to call it by any other name. No matter what Shakespeare said. Though pie guts by any other name would still taste delightful.
Chicken pot pie is one of my favorites. For years, any time I came to visit my parents I would beg my mom to make it. While still delicious every time mom makes it, I can now have it whenever I want. Its a dangerous skill to have
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Pillsbury Store-bought pie crust uses Hydrogenated lard, which is not that healthy. Making a homemade all-butter pie crust takes minutes to form into a nice dough ball. After some chilling, this homemade crust rolls out easily and bakes into a flaky pie shell.
There is no need to pre-bake the bottom crust it evenly cooks throughout with the pie filling inside. Use this crust recipe for sweet or savory pies alike!
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
How To Store Pot Pie
Leftover pot pies store well in the refrigerator and reheat quickly. Warm it in the microwave or better yet in a 350°F toaster oven to crisp up and revive the crust. You can also make ahead the pies in advance and keep them refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake. Just be sure to fill pies with a cool filling as a hot mixture can melt the pie dough.
Storing: keep baked pies refrigerated for up to 3 days. To reheat toast in a 350°F oven until crisp and heated thoroughly. This can be done in an air-fryer to re-crisp the pie.
Read Also: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery