How To Make Low
Advance Prep: Soak the Cashews:
Transfer the raw cashews to a large bowl and cover them with a couple of inches of water. Allow the cashews to soak overnight .
Prepare the Key Lime Pie Filling:
Drain and rinse the cashews, then transfer them to a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients for the key lime pie filling to the blender and blend until completely smooth. You may need to stop the blender a couple of times to stir before continuing to blend.
Prepare the Pie Crust:
Add the ingredients for the pie crust to a food processor and process until a thick dough forms. This will require quite a bit of processing, so continue to scrape the sides of the processor and re-start until the pie crust is chopped into small bits and forms a thick dough.
Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and transfer the crust mixture to the pan. Press it firmly into an even layer until you have a solid crust.
Make The Key Lime Pie Bars:
Pour the key lime pie filling over the crust and smooth into an even layer.
Freeze the key lime pie bars for at least 2 hours, or until completely set up.
Remove the bars from the freezer and pull on the parchment paper to transfer the whole pie to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut the pie into squares.Serve and enjoy!
How To Make Keto Key Lime Pie
Detailed serving sizes and full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
How To Make A No Bake Key Lime Pie
You May Like: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
The Difference Between Key Limes And Regular Limes
Key limes are a lot smaller than typical limes. They also are bolder with a lightly floral aroma and are also more acidic. They can sometimes be harder to find. My local Sprouts carries them. I have also seen them in local Mexican grocery stores. If you have trouble, regular limes can be substituted.
Because the limes are smaller, you will find you need to use quite a bit in this recipe. I used 1 pound of limes to yield 1/2 cup of juice. It doesnt hurt to have extra on hand just in case.
What Makes This Recipe A Healthy Key Lime Pie
You probably noticed some substitutions here from the common key lime pie ingredients. Most notably, no sweetened condensed milk is in this recipe. This pie has a long history, dating back to before refrigerators were common in households. Since milk was hard to keep, sweetened condensed milk was useful for baking.
To get that wanted sweetness in this recipe, I decided to use maple syrup. A common sugar substitute, it is all-natural and just as sweet as refined white sugar. Plus, it has some bonus minerals and antioxidants!
Other substitutes include coconut flour made from dried coconut meat and coconut sugar from the coconut palm tree. Coconut sugar is more nutritious than white sugar and causes a slightly lower rise in blood sugar.
Overall, my goal was to make a gluten-free, dairy-free key lime recipe so that more people could enjoy the tart goodliness of this prized dessert.
Read Also: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Register Now Free Registration
The Diabetic Pastry Chef shares her recipes in a fabulous book so that people with type 2 diabetes and others looking for sugar-free treats can make their own lower-carb versions of baked goods at home. She also started her own online bakery that ships homemade treats all across the country. The most common thing she hears from customers is, I dont even miss the extra sugar!
Divabetics New Mystery Podcast Available On Demand For Free
Theres a good indication that murder might be part of the recipe when Nantuckets ten time reigning Baking Champions last name is Coffin on Divabetics Mystery podcas, Kill Me Madam.
But resentment, greed and Britannias own bad dealings turn everyone into a suspect when shes found dead in the parking lot just before the Annual Decadents on Deck! Bake Off competition is about to kick off.
Divabetics Mystery podcast cast includes USA Best-Selling Author Tonya Kappes, Patricia Addie-Gentle RN, CDE, MaryAnn Horst-Nicolay MEd, NDRT, Lorraine Brooks, Catherine Schuller, Wendy Radford, Coach The Cures Trisha Artman, Mama Rose Marie, Seveda Williams, and Max Mr. Divabetic Szadek. Produced by Leisa Chester-Weir.
Throughout the podcast we will be featuring music from the Broadway Cast Album of courtesy of SONY Music.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Sugar Free Keto Key Lime Pie Bars
- You can certainly change out the sweetener to your choice.
- If you want a less crumbly crust, add a few tablespoons more of butter or even coconut oil to the crust mixture in the food processor and process until desired.
- If you don’t have erythritol for the crust just eliminate and use 2 tablespoons of powdered stevia or even coconut sugar.
- FUN FACT: Key limes are not actually green when ripe as the limes you see in most supermarkets. In fact they are yellow when ripe. They are more tart and bitter than typical limes. They are well known in the Florida Keys as the “key” ingredient in making Key Lime pie. But obviously if you can’t find “true” key limes, regular limes will also work.
- FYI: Absolutely NO avocado flavor is present in this pie, it simply makes the filling super duper creamy!
- This recipe was first published in July 2014 and updated with video in August 2018.
Ingredients For Keto Key Lime Pie Bars:
Key Lime Pie Filling: Raw cashews, key lime juice , lime zest, full-fat canned coconut milk, sugar-free confectioners sweetener, vanilla extract and a touch of sea salt. This combination makes for a rich and creamy key lime explosion! Just be sure to soak the cashews well in advance for the silkiest result!
Grain-Free Pie Crust: raw almonds, coconut oil, and sugar-free confectioners sweetener is all it takes to make an easy low-carb crust for these key lime pie bars! You can replace the raw almonds with cashews, pecans, or walnuts.
Additional Tips And Tricks
- Key lime pie isn’t meant to be overly sweet. The sweetness in this pie comes from the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Additional sweetness can be found in any dairy-free whipped cream you use or the type of pie crust you pick! If you do want to make it super sweet, you can add some extra granulated sweetener to the filling when you are preparing it on the stove.
- Don’t skip the lime zest! It adds so much extra fresh citrus taste to your slice of pie!
- I recommend using fresh key limes or bottled key lime juice. If you must use regular fresh limes or bottled regular lime juice, I’d suggest adding extra sweetener to reduce any bitterness.
- If you’re not feeling the gluten-free graham cracker crust, you can prebake a standard gluten-free pie crust as well!
- Depending on the brand of coconut milk and sweetened condensed coconut milk you use, you may need an extra tablespoon of starch. But, remember, that the filling will thicken further once it’s chilled.
People Ask What Is The Difference Between A Lime And A Key Lime
Yes, not every lime is a key lime.There are actually many kinds of limes, or fruits that identify as a lime.
.A ‘Key Lime” is a is a more bitter flavored lime.
It is that ‘bitter’ flavor that makes the key lime pie so famous.However, you can certainly substitute a common lime for the key lime in this recipe.
Easy Sugar Free Key Lime Pie
Don’t Miss: Peach Cobbler With Pie Crust
How To Make A Low Carb Pie Crust
Low carb pie crust is easy to make, you just have to use low carb ingredients! Ive found great success in swapping almond flour for regular, refined white flour and using erythritol, allulose, or monk fruit allulose blend instead of sugar.
It tastes like traditional pie crust, but without all the carbs and sugars! My almond flour crust is perfect for this sugar free key lime pie cheesecake and it couldnt be easier to make.
Why This Recipe Is The Best
If you want to keep this recipe as easy as possible, it’s only 5 ingredients! If you want to make it a little more from scratch, you’ll need an extra 2 or 3, but overall you are going to be blown away but how simple, delicious, healthier, and of course allergy-friendly it is! No cashews or tofu in this vegan pie either!
- Healthy, Sugar-Free , & Oil-Free
- Homemade or Semi-Homemade
- Great For Summer Parties or Special Year-Round Tropical Treat
Also Check: Pinkie Pie Enterprises
How To Make A Lime Twist
To make a lime twist to decorate your pie, cut a very thin slice of lime. Then, cut across the center of the slice. You want to cut almost all of the way across, but leave the peel intact on one side. Simply twist the lime around and you’ve made a pretty lime twist!
You can arrange these on top of the pie, or put one on each individual piece before serving.
Ingredients For Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust: My semi-homemade bakers, you can use the delightful allergy-free Mi-Del Graham Style Pie Crust that is already ready to go or you can bake up a batch of homemade gluten-free graham crackers and crush them up with some vegan butter as shown in this no-bake s’mores pie recipe!
- Full-Fat Unsweetened Coconut Milk: You want a can of full-fat coconut milk for the filling. This helps the filling remain thick and creamy without the need for eggs or dairy.
- Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk: You can use a store-bought can of condensed coconut milk or make a sugar-free version yourself with a can of unsweetened coconut cream and granulated erythritol , cooked down on the stove until thick.
- Key Lime Juice: If you have access to real, fresh key limes, by all means, use them! If not, the next best option is the OG authentic Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice you can buy by the bottle at most grocery stores! And if that’s not feasible, you can use normal limes, but may need to add extra sweetener. I did use normal limes for the zest you’ll see on top of the finished pie!
- Starch: Since this is an eggless key lime pie, the starch helps thicken and hold the creamy lime filling together! Either use arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken the filling to a perfect pudding pie texture.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Florida Keys
Tips For Keto Key Lime Pie
Once you have the sugar free condensed milk and crust ready to go, this pie is a snap to make. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
Free Baking Party On Zoom With The Diabetic Pastry Chef Register Now
Looking for a fun way to socialize without putting your diabetes wellness at risk? Do you need a little help staying on track with your diabetes self-care?
Join the happy healthcare host, Mr. Divabetic for this free, fun Virtual Baking Party with special guest, Stacey Harris aka The Diabetic Pastry Chef on Thursday, December 10, 2020, 7 8 PM, EST on Zoom.
During this virtual Baking Party on Zoom, The Diabetic Pastry Chef will prepare a Sugar Free Holiday Dessert recipe and share expert baking tips for using sugar substitutes in your favorite recipes.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
Keto Key Lime Pie Recipe You Can Make In 30 Minutes
So lets get this sorted out right off the bat. This is not a traditional key lime pie. You wont find sweetened condensed milk or graham crackers in this recipe, but you will find a luscious, lovely keto key lime cream pie thats a pretty decent replacement. It also has a no-bake pie filling, so bonus!
This pie is nut free, low carb, and gluten-free to boot, so not bad, all things considered.
If you like tart and creamy, this recipe is pretty dreamy. And although the filling is no-bake, you do need to bake the pie crust.
May I Use Regular Limes In This Pie Recipe
Ok, so key limes are the best limes to use in this recipe. I could not get my hands on key limes. I live in the middle of the prairies and a few hours outside of the city. Finding key limes is a bit of a treasure hunt where I am. They do make the difference in this key lime pie recipe, though, so if you can get your hands on some, I highly recommend it. The key limes tend to be a bit less bitter and touch more sweet.
I happened to find a big bag of beautiful, fresh limes at the market, so I decided to make my pie with them instead. Ive made this keto key lime pie dozens of times over the years and, although I do like it better with key limes, regular limes work perfectly fine in this recipe, so if that is all you can get, use them!
Please dont use bottled lime juice. That stuff is bitter and sour and will ruin your pie. This is a recipe that does much better with fresh ingredients.
Also Check: Black Muslim Bean Pie Recipe