How To Make Your Best Pot Pie Yet
Unlike bunches of grapes, pot pie isnt usually a culinary delight that we associate with Ancient Greeks and Romans. And yet, perhaps we should picture Caesar savoring a delicious pot pie dinner, because the dish does indeed date back to those olden times. Humans have decided to eat meats, vegetables and delicious sauces in pie form since we have known how to make pastry and pie tins, and our skills have inarguably improved with centuries of practice.
Pot pies have remained popular, in part, because they are so versatile and easy to make. No matter what kind of dish youre craving, you can likely find or create a pot pie variety. With our guide, youll find it even easier to put together a comforting pot pie, regardless of whether youre revamping an old family recipe or wowing the table with something new. Youll also find plenty of ideas for creative presentation styles, ensuring that this historic staple dish will never grow old.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
This pot pie recipe is a weekend affair meaning, you should put on some music and set aside some time to make this! Your time will be well rewarded. There is nothing like the taste of homemade, from-scratch chicken pot pie.
Here are the basic steps:
Meal Prep And Freezing
- Meal prep: The filling can be made up to 2 days ahead. The assembled, un-baked pie can be made the day before and kept in the fridge until ready to bake. Baked pie will last for up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container and can be reheated in the oven.
- Freezing: The assembled, un-baked pie can be wrapped and frozen for up to 6 months. Remove wrapping and bake from frozen until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbling.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
Recommended Reading: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
How To Make Pot Pie In An Air Fryer
Nothing is better than a hearty pot pie made in the oven and filled with meat and potatoes. Its a perfect meal for a chilly winter day and can be prepared in minutes.
If you dont have an hour to make a pot pie, no worries you can make a pot pie in an air fryer. Tasty Pot Pie can make anyone happy which is why it is very easy to make.
It is the perfect dish to make for anyone, It is very simple to make, yet very delicious. You can make it in less than thirty minutes.
I think we all remember the days when we used to make pies but today, we want to make the pies made in the air fryer.
We all want to eat food that is easy and quick and that is how we end up making air fryer pot pies. We dont need the hassle of making the dough and making the pie.
All we need is an air fryer and some pre-made dough and we can enjoy a pot pie. The Pot Pie is the quintessential comfort food.
There is something comforting about eating food out of a bowl. Its an easy dish to make, inexpensive, and the results are delicious. This blog will show you how to make pot pie.
- In an Air Fryer basket, place the pie.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F and set the timer for 30 minutes.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Mini Pot Pies
Besides being cute, mini pot pies are an easy way to serve out individual portions of pie . For mini pot pies, youll either want small pie tins or oven-safe ramekins. Then, fill your containers as you would for a larger pie and bake according to your recipes instructions. The resulting pot pies will go over great at your next party, and will definitely be a hit with kids, who will delight in having their own personal pie to dig into.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Now let’s chat about the filling. It’s a simple made-from-scratch mixture of diced or shredded chicken, celery, onion, peas, and carrots, all in a creamy white sauce that’s thickened with a roux. I use frozen peas, but if peas aren’t your thing, you can substitute with ½ cup of any vegetables that you like .
Youll need a total of about 4 cups of cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. This is my preference, since the rotisserie chicken also adds great flavor to the dish.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
You May Like: Key West Key Lime Pie Company Net Worth
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
What Makes This Chicken Pot Pie Easy
My commitment to making this an easy chicken pot pie develops in stages.
- The chicken: Buy a whole, cut-up chicken, which cooks faster than a whole chicken. No need to fiddle around with a whole chicken when theyre already available cut-up. Toss the pieces on a sheet pan with oil and roast it.
- The veggies: I use frozen vegetables to stir into the filling, but give the gravy a lift by dicing onions, garlic, and celery while the chicken is roasting.
- The pie crust: Rather than make a scratch pie crust I buy store-bought puff pastry.
- The stock: If you have homemade stock in your fridge then by all means use it, but there is no shame in saving time with store-bought stock. To find the best box stock check out our product review: Our Favorite Boxed Chicken Broth.
- The time: The finished chicken pot pie only takes 20-25 minutes to bake in the oven. You can add another 30 minutes to roast the whole cut-up chicken, but if youre really pressed for time, just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store.
Recommended Reading: 8 Inch Pyrex Pie Plate
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
Ingredient Tips For How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What makes this recipe so easy? When in a time crunch, using store-bought ingredients not only saves a lot of time, but it also tastes delicious.
Such an easy recipe! And I know you will add it to your weekly meal plan rotation!
Be sure to scroll down for your printable shopping list so you will have all the ingredients for this classic chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
How To Make Homemade Pot Pies
A warm and savory pot pie is the perfect cold weather comfort food, not to mention a great way to use up leftovers. Read on to get tips to make a pot pie from scratch.
Pictured: To-Die-For Chicken Pot Pie
As soon as the weather goes from blistering to blustery, this favorite comfort food really seems to hit the spot. And with all the ingredient possibilities chicken, beef, turkey, and more finding a pot pie you like will be as easy as…well, you know. Read on for tips to make homemade pot pies from scratch, and scroll down to learn how to make a pot pie without an oven.
Also Check: Campbells Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
How To Make Ahead And Freeze Unbaked Pot Pie
- To Freeze: Prepare the pot pie in a metal or foil pie pan, but do not add an egg wash. Wrap the pie tightly in foil and place it in the freezer.
- To Bake From Frozen: Cover the frozen pie with a sheet of foil and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes. Remove the foilapply an egg wash, if usingand continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- To Defrost, Then Bake: Place the frozen pie in the refrigerator and let it thaw for about 24 hours. Cover the pie with foil and bake it at 400 F for 20 minutes. Remove the foilapply an egg wash, if usingand continue to bake for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
You May Like: Sonic Banana Cream Pie Shake Recipe
Crustless Chicken Pot Pie
Crustless chicken pot pie is for people who love the inside of chicken pot pie, but absolutely cannot be bothered to use a crust. Either you dont want to buy pie crust and roll it out, you dont want to make crust from scratch, or it was omitted from your grocery order and you have all the ingredients to make chicken pot pie, except the crust! Im definitely speaking from experience here!
I feel like I have a good relationship going with my grocery shopper, but how were they to know that all of the ingredients for chicken pot pie in my cart should be put back once you realized store-bought pie crust was out of stock? I dont blame them one bit, because I still made a yummy dinner!
Serving this crustless chicken pot pie over buttery toast was the best decision! My kids thought it was fun to dunk the toast, and since they both love bread, it helped them eat more of their dinner. This is a fun way to stretch my chicken pot pie for two into a meal for my family of 4.
Dont Miss: Entenmann Coconut Custard Pie Recipe