Why Is It Called Pot Pie
According to a pot pie recipe from 1845 highlighted in an article on the history of the pot pie by NPR.org, it is because the filling was cooked in a pot with scraps of leftover meat, plus onion and potatoes, like a stew. It was then thickened with flour. The pot pie concept was a carry over from a European practice where the lower class peasants would create a more hearty meal out of the stew by adding the crust, which was inexpensive and would make the dish more filling for a family.
More About Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipes
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP RECIPE – PILLSBURY.COM
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, milk, sauce mix and pepper with whisk until smooth. Stir in diced potato heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in frozen vegetables and chicken cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened and heated through.
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP RECIPE BY TASTY
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE – MISSION …
- Cook and cut the chicken and set aside.
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP | THE RECIPE CRITIC
- Sauce the onion and garlic until tender. Add in the celery, chicken, vegetables, pepper, both soup containers and milk.
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE – CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP – THE SEASONED MOM
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in butter and olive oil until tender . Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Cook, stirring, for about 1 more minute. Slowly add the broth.
- Bring to a boil cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low add chicken, peas, corn and half-and-half. Stir over low heat, just until warmed through . Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Garnish with parsley and serve with biscuits, if desired.
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP – THE GARLIC DIARIES
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Made With Biscuits Instead Of A Traditional Crust This Budget Meal Is Definitely A Family Favorite
I just love a good old fashioned chicken pot pie, especially during the colder months. Seriously, nothing screams comfort food like a homemade chicken pot pie. The hot creamy pie filling with juicy chicken meat, and mixed vegetables. It just doesnt get any better. I personally love all types of chicken pot pie. However, When I make chicken pot pies, I like to keep it easy. Instead of using crust, I prefer to make chicken pot pie with biscuits.
Yup biscuits. Preferably canned biscuits, because it takes less time. I also use cream of chicken soup & mixed vegetables for my chicken pot pie. Using these easy ingredients save me time, and money. So its a win, win!
this easy chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe is one of my family favorites. Although Its made with vegetables, I usually serve it with more veggies on the side.
What Chicken Is Best
I highly recommend chicken thighs for this chicken pot pie soup recipe. I didnt always use chicken thighs for my soup recipes, but once I started, there was NO going back. Chicken thighs are dark meat which means they are inherently juicier, richer tasting and produce far more tender chicken than chicken breasts. They are also harder to overcook and stay tender for days with a more palate pleasing texture, even when reheated for leftovers.
In addition, chicken thighs are browned first which adds an important layer of flavor to the overall soup as all those golden, flavorful bits become part of the broth.
The Best Fall Comfort Foods
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is one I keep handy for days where time seems to pass faster than I realize and need to get dinner started quickly.
Read Also: Where Was Key Lime Pie Invented
Ingredient Tips For How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What makes this recipe so easy? When in a time crunch, using store-bought ingredients not only saves a lot of time, but it also tastes delicious.
Such an easy recipe! And I know you will add it to your weekly meal plan rotation!
Be sure to scroll down for your printable shopping list so you will have all the ingredients for this classic chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup!
Can You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Can you make chicken pot pie from scratch? Of course! You can’t beat using the perfect roasted chicken with homemade crust and creamy gravy filling.
But, sometimes it’s okay to use soup in chicken pot pie.
When it comes to crunching time, throwing together the essential ingredients, even if they are store-bought, still has a very tasty outcome.
Have turkey leftovers? Try our Turkey Pot Pie recipe for a great way to use up all the big meal leftovers!
Also Check: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cartons chicken broth
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Step 1
Put 1/2 inch of water in a large pan over medium heat bring to a simmer, about 2 minutes. Place chicken in the simmering water, cover, and cook until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 15 to 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F . Transfer chicken to a plate and shred when cool enough to handle.
- Step 2
Melt butter in a large pot. Add flour and stir continuously with a wooden spoon or whisk until a thick paste forms continue cooking roux for 2 minutes. Add evaporated milk stir until incorporated. Add chicken broth and stir until no lumps remain. Bring to a boil.
- Step 3
Add potatoes, carrots, chicken bouillon, pepper, and salt cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Step 4
Tips For Freezing This Soup
- Leave out the half and half if you plan to freeze, then it will freeze and thaw without becoming grainy. Once thawed, add the half and half mixed with cornstarch to the thawed soup and simmer until thickened.
- Regular evaporated milk, or heavy cream freeze much better than half and half. The higher the fat content, the better it freezes. If you think you might freeze this chicken pot pie soup, then plan on using either of these alternatives.
- If freezing with half and half, reheat the thawed soup very gently over low heat to help incorporate the cream back into the soup.
- If freezing with half and half, add some fresh cream or softened cream cheese to improve the grainy texture.
How To Make It
For this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup, chicken is slow cooked along with onions, garlic and chicken stock in your crock pot until fork tender before being shredded into bite sized pieces.
Frozen peas and carrots are then stirred in with half and half to finish things off.
While the soup is cooking, bake up your pie crust until crispy and golden.
Just before serving, crumble the pie crust and sprinkle over top along with fresh herbs, if desired.
A lot of people make chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup, but this from scratch chicken pot pie version is just as easy! I promise you that!
Chicken Pot Pie + Chicken Casserole
If this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole isnt the ultimate comfort food, I dont know what is.
Once you taste this easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe, I know youll be as hooked as we are! Casseroles dont only have to be eaten at grandmas house, they can be a hit for any family! All the warmth, flavor, and ease that make a truly great meal, all in one place. My kind of recipe!
Also Check: The Profit Key Lime Pie Full Episode
Chicken Pot Pie Soup A Deliciously Simple Soup Recipe Made From Scratch A Fantastic Classic Comfort Food Brought To You In A Bowl
This Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a super simple, staple comfort food! Its awesome during the cold fall and winter months, I love cozying up with a bowl during the chilly holiday season!
We love this soup, so easy to make and my kids even eat the veggies!
I am a huge fan of soup in the fall and winter months, wait actually all year long. And typically I have a soup I stick to for the season, like summer we do a lot of my Chicken Tortilla Soup and for fall and winter, I stick to this Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
I cant even really begin to describe how amazing this soup is creamy, warm, and just full of comfort. And guess what? You really dont even miss the crust from the chicken pot pie, seriously.
Thick, creamy and delicious. Plus, everything comes together in just 30 minutes.
How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you’re looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
Read Also: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Ar
More About This Recipe
- If you need to get dinner on the table in a hurry, this easy chicken pot pie recipe is the place to begin. While many time-tested, heirloom recipes have come out of the Betty Crocker kitchens over the years, possibly none has proven as popular as The Impossibly Easy Pie formulation, which has been a relied-upon recipe since the 1970s. Hundreds of home cooks have relied on this quick take on chicken pot pie with biscuits. You dont need to make a crust for this simple dinner. Instead, you just mix up all the ingredients together??yes, the ingredients for the filling and the crust. While it cooks, the pie forms its own crust. It may seem like kitchen magic, but its the dishs down-to-earth goodness that keeps home cooks coming back to this recipe year after year. For even more ideas, check out Bettys best chicken pot pie recipes.
What Should I Top Chicken Pot Pie Soup With
Chicken pot pie soup would just be fabulous creamy chicken soup if it wasnt for the topping! To elevate the soup to chicken pot pie soup, serve it with biscuits, oyster crackers or pie crust crackers. Pie crust crackers are exactly what the sound like, crackers made from pie crust! They definitely are the way to go for the complete pot pie experience, but the other options are tasty too because sometimes all you want to do is pop a can of biscuits and bake!
- Pie crust crackers: To make these easy crackers, you can you use this fabulous homemade pie crust recipeor just pick up some store bought pie crust. To make, roll the crust out onto parchment paper or non slip silicone mat. Lightly brush the pie crust with some melted butter and lightly sprinkle with some salt. Cut into thick strips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the strips are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature, then break into pieces. Now you have pie crust crackers!
- Homemade biscuits: Because nothing is better than homemade! Use your favorite recipe or try my homemade cheddar chive biscuits I made for my traditional pot pie filling.
- Store-bought biscuits: So easy! I used Pillsbury Grands in these photos and they were delish.
- Oyster crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers pack the perfect bite size bursts of flavor and texture in every spoonful.
You May Like: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
What Can I Prepare Ahead Of Time
This chicken pot pie soup recipe is very simple but it does require some prep work as far as chopping vegetables. You can save time by:
- Trimming chicken: Trim chicken of any excess fat and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep mirepoix: The carrots, onions and celery can all be chopped a couple days ahead of time, the night before dinner or just a few hours before cooking then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Potatoes: can be peeled and chopped 24 ahead of time but they will need to be submerged in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator to prevent them from turning brown .
- Measure Spices: It doesnt take long to measure out the spices, but you can certainly do it beforehand and store the mix in an airtight bag or container.
Read Also: Nation’s Pies