Tips For The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- If desired, you can prep the crust the night before you plan on assembling the pot pie. Just pull it out of the fridge about 20 minutes before you want to roll it out so its easier to shape.
- You can also prep the chicken pot pie filling the night before and gently reheat it before assembling the pot pie the next day. Easy peasy!
- We LOVE the homemade pot pie crust, but I understand if you just dont have the time to make it from scratch. If thats the case, pick up a package of your favorite store-bought pie crust.
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Healthful Pursuit
Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. If making leaf cutouts, roll out additional dough, cut out leaf and gently lay in the center of the ramekin. For ramekins, pour chicken pot pie mixture into 8 twelve ounce ramekins . It has 50% more calcium than dairy milk! Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Use a spoon to mix and incorporate the gravy into the vegetables, being gentle as to not smash them.
Transfer the ramekins, on the baking sheet, to the oven. Remove chicken from pot and transfer to a large bowl If your coconut milk has separated though, simply scoop out and use ¾ cup of the cream and ¼ cup water, coconut water, or milk. This healthy chicken pot pie recipe is packed with chicken and veggies in a creamy lightened up dairy free sauce made with chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir in the raw chicken, potato, corn, peas, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
If you want to make this pot pie a little more gourmet you can add one cup of dry white wine when making the sauce and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme when simmering. We originally shared this recipe back in 2006, but today were giving the post a refresh and a big update. Scrape vegetable mixture plus chicken, potatoes, broth, herbs, and salt into slow cooker pot. Use a spoon to mix and incorporate the gravy into the vegetables, being gentle as to not smash them. ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Recommendations For Making Campbells Chicken Pot Pie
The key component is to have pre cooked chicken on hand. Here are some easy ways to plan ahead.
- Get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I find Sams and Costco have the biggest bang for your buck.
- You can use the extra to make another pot pie to freeze for another day or keep it for a different meal during the week.
- Likewise, the next time you make a chicken, chicken breast etc. throw in a few extra and freeze for another meal and pull it out the night before.
- They also just have frozen chicken that you can buy for a quick recipe.
You May Like: Kermits Key Lime Pie On A Stick
How Do You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Its very easy to make the ultimate in country comfort from scratch. All you need to do is cook everything together on your stove top, let it cool, fill the pie crust, and bake. My steps below will walk you through it. Its so easy you will wonder why you didnt do this sooner. Start practicing now so you have the perfect warm and satisfying meal on those chilly nights!
How To Make Skillet Pot Pie
For the full recipe please see the recipe card below.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Cantrell
Shortcut Tips For Chicken Pot Pie
Next time you are short on time and want to make a quick family meal that everyone will love, I suggest making this super easy chicken pot pie.
To make it even easier, I used Pillsburys Refrigerated Pie Crust. If you have more time, then make a simple homemade pie crust for a more flaky top.
Another shortcut is to use pre-cooked chicken. You can buy pre-cooked, diced oven-roasted chicken at the grocery store , or buy a cooked rotisserie chicken, or use leftovers from a previous chicken or turkey dinner you served.
You May Like: Tomato Pie Delivery
Tips For The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- A cast iron skillet conducts heat far better than a casserole dish or pie plate, so the crust on your pot pie becomes very crisp and flaky. You can substitute with a deep-dish pie plate or a 2-quart casserole dish, but the cast iron skillet yields the best results.
- Place the skillet on the middle or bottom rack in your oven. This helps the bottom crust become nice and crisp, since it’s closer to the heating element.
- Do not poke holes in the bottom pie crust.
- You know that the pot pie is done when the crust is golden brown on top. All of the filling ingredients are already cooked through, so if the inside is bubbly and the top is browned, it’s finished!
- Allow about 20 minutes for the pie to rest before slicing and serving. This will give the filling a chance to set so that it doesn’t run out when you cut into it.
Don’t Miss: American Pie Band Camp Free
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- If you don’t want to use the store-bought pie crust, you can prepare your own homemade pie crust to use with this recipe.
- Top the pot piewith puff pastry instead of pie crust by following these instructions.
- For an old fashioned chicken pot pie with a double crust , follow these instructions.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add different vegetables to the filling, such as frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn kernels, or crisp-tender steamed broccoli.
- Season the filling with fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash for an even deeper brown color and a bit of shine.
- Turn this recipe into individual chicken pot pies! You can divide the filling evenly among individual ramekins or oven-proof bowls and cut the pie crust to fit over each smaller dish. You may need to use 2 pie crusts, since you are cutting the dough and will likely have some waste from the scraps. The baking time will remain about the same.
Also Check: The Profit Key Lime Pie Update
How Long To Bake Chicken Pot Pie
All of the ingredients inside the pot pie are already cooked, so the only thing we are concerned with at this point is the pie crust.
The crust should be fully baked with 45-50 minutes. If the top crust should start to look golden brown before the time is up, simply cover the edges with either a pie shield or with aluminum foil and continue cooking for the allotted amount of time.
There is nothing like a made-from-scratch chicken pot pie. Especially one enveloped in a buttery, flaky, homemade pie crust, decked out with perfectly cooked chicken and vegetables, all smothered in a to-die-for chicken gravy. Please, enjoy!
Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
The Spruce Eats / Diana Rattray
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our classic chicken pot pie is loaded with tender chunks of chicken and vegetables in a thick, creamy gravy. A double crust makes the chicken pie satisfying and fillingmake a homemade, buttery crust from scratch or make it even easier with convenient store-bought refrigerated crusts. Whichever option you choose, you will fall in love with this comforting pot pie.
Feel free to customize this pie to suit your family’s tastes. Add some celery or potatoes to the pie or cut back on the vegetables and add extra chicken. Or replace the fresh chicken breasts with leftover cooked chicken or turkey. Fresh herbs are another excellent option. Fresh or dried thyme is called for, but you may want to use a mixture of herbs. Chives, sage, and rosemary are some excellent alternatives.
Serve chicken pot pie with a salad or fresh vegetables on the side. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers make an excellent side dish with the pie, or you might serve it with a mound of freshly made coleslaw. Or serve the chicken pie with a cooked vegetable, such as green beans with bacon, a simple dish of sautéed asparagus with lemon, or roasted Brussels sprouts.
Gather the ingredients.
Also Check: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
How To Make Sure The Bottom Pie Crust Is Cooked
I didnt do anything fancy to make sure the bottom crust was cooked, but here are a few tips that might help you out if you are worried about it.
- Place your pie on a lower baking rack. Having the pie closer to the heat source will concentrate the heat at the bottom of the pie. The bottom crust is important, and you dont want it to be soggy.
- Place your pie on a hot cookie sheet. While you are assembling your pie, put a cookie sheet in the oven and preheat it. Then you are ready to bake, set your pie on the preheated cookie sheet. This helps make the dough impermeable to the pie filling.
- Put your filling into your pie nice and hot. If the filling is hot, it will actually start cooking the crust immediately before it even goes into the oven and reduce the sogginess.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken With rotisserie chicken ready to go, youll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and youll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
Recommended Reading: Shepherds Pie Campbells Soup
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.