What Are The Variations Of Shepherds Pie
The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat, cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.
The modern Cumberland pie is a version with either beef or lamb and a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese on top. In medieval times, and modern-day Cumbria, the pastry crust had a filling of meat with fruits and spices.
In Quebec, a variation on the cottage pie is called pâté chinois. It is made with ground beef on the bottom layer, canned corn in the middle, and mashed potato on top.
The shepherdess pie is a vegetarian version made without meat, or a vegan version made without meat and dairy.
In the Netherlands, a very similar dish called philosophers stew often adds ingredients like beans, apples, prunes, or apple sauce.
In Brazil, a dish called escondidinho refers to the fact that a manioc purée hides a layer of sun-dried meat. The dish often includes cheese, and chicken or cod are sometimes used instead of beef.
The best recipes for shepherds pie keep things simple and season the dish with abandon. If using an herb, stick to one and choose a lot of it. Forego false finery and choose good organic sourced ingredients. The mashed potato on top should have lots of butter and milk in it. Ideally, theyre not mashed too smoothly.
What Are The Differences
The mashed potatoes on a shepherd’s pie form a “topping” or “crust,” but there is traditionally no actual pastry, which is a clear distinction between the shepherd’s pie and the pot pie. Furthermore, most shepherd’s pies are made with beef, pork, or lamb, while the majority of pot pies are made with chicken. Another distinction is the gravy or sauce. While a shepherd’s pie is often teeming with a brown, beef stew-like concoction under its mashed potato hat, a chicken pot pie is usually marked by a white, rich sauce that ensconces the chicken, peas, carrots, and other vegetables. Of course, as noted by Chowhound, both of these delicious pies originated as a means to use leftover food, so certainly feel free to whip them up if you happen to have any leftover mashed potatoes, pie crust, chicken, beef, lamb, or veggies in the fridge.
Many restaurants make pot pies and shepherd’s pies to this day, and you can find a myriad of frozen varieties in most grocery stores. You can also make them at home! A perfect meal for autumn and winter, pot pies and shepherd’s pies are exceptionally delicious on blistering cold nights no matter which one you prefer.
Tips For Homemade Shepherds Pie:
- Use a potato rice or food mill versus just mashing the potatoes if youd like silky smooth, lump-free potatoes.
- If possible use red wine for a robust finish.
- Use lean beef and dab up excess fat so dish isnt overly greasy.
- Avoid cooking in a glass dish as it may shatter under the heat of the broiler. If you dont own a cast iron pan use another deep oven safe pan or a metal or ceramic baking dish.
Recommended Reading: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
More Vegetarian Casseroles To Try
Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese, scallions, and parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
Spoon the potatoes over the vegetables in the baking dish. Use a fork to make swirls in the potatoes to create peaks and valleys. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/3 cup grated cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling bubbles and the potatoes are golden. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
Variations And Similar Dishes
Sometimes there is a bottom layer of potato as well as a top.
Other potato-topped pies include:
- Potato pie is a ground red meat pie topped with mashed potato the difference is that the potato pie does not include any other vegetables.
- The modern Cumberland pie is a version with either beef or lamb and a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese on top. In medieval times, and modern-day Cumbria, the pastry crust had a filling of meat with fruits and spices.
- In Canada, pâté chinois or shepherd’s pie is made in a casserole dish with ground beef on the bottom layer, canned sweetcorn in the middle, and mashed potato on top.
- Shepherdess pie or shepherdless pie is a vegetarian version made without meat, or a vegan version made without meat and dairy.
- In the Netherlands, a very similar dish called philosopher’s stew often adds ingredients like beans, apples, prunes, or apple sauce.
- In Brazil, the name escondidinho ‘hidden’ describes the way sun-dried meat is hidden under a layer of manioc purée. The dish often includes cheese and chicken cod is sometimes used instead of beef.
Read Also: The Key Lime Pie Company
Typical Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
The lamb, which is minced or ground, is simmered in a gravy which is usually flavored with onions and may also contain additional vegetables such as peas, carrots, or celery. The “crust” of the pie is made not with pastry, but with mashed potatoes, which can be used as both a top and bottom layer or just on top.
British Food in America, while endorsing the idea of keeping shepherd’s pie as simple as possible as opposed to “go all Cosmopolitan on it with red onion, olive oil and Thai chilies,” nevertheless suggests two additions to the standard mashed potato topping: mixing mashed turnips with the potatoes, and adding shredded cheddar to make a cheesy crust.
What Ingredients Make The Filling Taste Better
Once the meat is selected, other vegetables and herbs are added to make the filling more interesting. Onions, carrots, celery, and garlic are sauteed to give texture and aroma. Rosemary and thyme are robust herbs that complement the unique flavor of the lamb. Tomato paste adds a touch of sweetness to the dish. Tangy Worcestershire sauce provides balance and makes the flavors in the filling more vibrant.
How Long To Boil Eggs For Deviled Eggs:
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Place the pot over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. This can take between 7-12 minutes, depending on the size of your pot and how much water you use. To speed things up, I use hot tap water and keep the lid on the pot until the water is boiling.
- Carefully and gently add the desired amount of large eggs to the boiling water. A mesh strainer works well for gently lowering more than one egg at a time into the hot water.
- Boil the eggs for 13-14 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary so that the water doesnt boil over.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Drain the hot water from the pot while keeping the eggs in the pot. You could use the lid of the pot or a strainer to help keep the eggs in the pot as you drain the hot water.
- Add cold water to the pot until the eggs are covered in cold water. Pour that water out. Repeat with more cold water.
- Add 2 cups of ice to the pot. Gently stir the eggs. If the ice melts, add more until the water stays ice cold.
- Let the eggs rest in the ice cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the cold water. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week until you are ready to use them.
- Gently crack the egg shells and peel the eggs.
What Is Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherds pie recipes were first developed in England in the mid-19th century. Recipes differ from traditional meat pies because they do not involve meat enclosed in a pastry crust. Instead, shepherds pie consists of a layer of ground meat and a few vegetables topped with a creamy layer of mashed potatoes. The dish is baked until the top of the potatoes forms a golden-brown crust.
The first shepherds pie recipes included ground lamb, a bit of onion, and perhaps some peas and carrots. The lamb produced some gravy as it was cooking. The result was almost an upside down version of potatoes with gravy. Shepherds pie had more substance than simple mashed potatoes, though, because of the quantity of meat in the recipe.
Other countries soon adopted shepherds pie, and produced two variants. Instead of ground lamb, some recipes substituted ground beef. Though traditionally this variant is called cottage pie, most in the US recognize it as shepherds pie. Less familiar in the US is the use of ground fish, which makes a dish correctly termed fishermans pie.
Read Also: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Cottage Pie Vs Shepherds Pie And Cumberland Pie
If youve been wondering what third traditional British pie is very similar to Shepherds Pie and Cottage Pie, then the wait is over. Cumberland Pie is essentially an extended variation of Cottage Pie and Shepherds Pie, except it has the addition of grated cheese and breadcrumbs to the mashed potato topping. Incredible.
How To Freeze Healthy Shepherds Pie
Once the shepherds pie is baked, cool completely and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer until fairly firm, about two hours. Then, cover tightly with plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Mark the date on the outside and store in the freezer for up to two months.
When ready to serve, remove the foil and plastic wrap. Use the foil you just removed to loosely cover the pie. Make sure that your casserole dish can go straight from freezer to oven if not, set the casserole in the oven while the oven preheats so that the dish warms slowly.
Bake the casserole for an hour, or until the pie is hot all the way through. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow the top to brown.
You May Like: Muslim Navy Bean Soup Recipe
The Special Topping: Cauliflower And Potato Mash
One other change from traditional shepherds pie is the topping: Its a blend of cauliflower and potatoes! This means fewer carbs and calories , but more importantly, the added health benefits of cauliflower.
The recipe calls for sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, which plays off of the cauliflower and adds a pleasing crust when baked.
What Makes This The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Texture: The cookies are soft in the middle and chewy around the edges.
- Flavor: They have a sweet, buttery, toffy-like cookie flavor, loaded with chocolate chips.
- Quick & Easy to make: No bringing the ingredients to room temperature. No chilling the dough. The recipe can easily be whisked together, instead of using a mixer. And, its a ONE BOWL recipe.
Also Check: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
What Is The Difference Between A Cottage Pie And Shepherds Pie
The main difference between cottage pie and shepherds pie is the type of meat used. Both dishes are very simple to make and require few ingredients.
Both of them consist of a meat and vegetables filling topped with mashed potato, after all. But, despite their similar appearances, these two dishes are actually quite different.
- Shepherds pie
Shepherds pie is the British version of the American casserole or a hot dish, but with meat and vegetables, and without pasta or rice. Traditionally, shepherds pie is made with lamb, but it can also be made with meat from other animals, like chicken, beef, or even pork.
Its often made in a casserole dish covered with a layer of mashed potatoes. This makes it a comfort food, and many people like to eat it with ketchup.
The cottage pie is round, and has a layer of mashed potato around the outside.
- Cottage pie
Cottage pie is a British meat pie made using a variety of meats, but most commonly beef. A typical cottage pie will include ground beef, onion, carrot, and celery, simmered with tomato puree, and topped with mashed potato.
The name cottage pie comes from the fact that it is a peasant dish. Meanwhile, cottage pie is made with beef, but cooked in a similar way. The shepherds pie is oval, and has a layer of mashed potato on the inside and outside.
How This Pie Is Different From Traditional Shepherds Pie
The shepherds pie of my upbringing features a hefty portion of meat, with vegetables playing a supporting role, and a thick topping of buttery mashed potatoes. My updated version bumps up the ratio of vegetables to meat and calls for extra-lean ground beef, which is the leanest option in the butcher case.
For the mashed potatoes, the recipe swaps in olive oil for butter, which means more heart-healthy fats in every bite. The sum total of these swaps is a lighter dish with no shortcuts on flavor.
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
What Kind Of Potatoes Are Used For The Topping
Russet potatoes are the best to use to make the mashed potato topping. They are a type of potato that is very starchy, and when cooked easily breaks into light and flaky pieces. The texture makes is very easy to spread across the top of the filling. The potatoes are gently combined with butter, warmed whole milk, and egg yolk for richness and color when baked.
What Youll Need For Cottage Pie:
- Meat: this cottage pie calls for ground beef and sausage but depending on the type of savory pie you want to make, you can use ground lamb , or essentially any leftover meat in your fridge.
- Spices: fresh thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Vegetables: onion, celery, carrots, corn, and peas.
- Mashed potatoes: made homemade, or in the Instant Pot, or use leftovers!
- Gravy ingredients: garlic, flour, beef stock, tomato paste, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce.
- Cheese: parmesan cheese goes in the mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese is added on top before baking.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
The Best Shepherds Pie Recipe
I made shepherds pie FIVE times this week to perfect it and Id have to say I dont know that it could get any better! This has honestly got to be the coziest meal-in-one out there. And while it may not be the fastest easiest dinner its worth every minute of prep and patience!
Hearty ground beef is browned and seasoned with aromatics including fresh veggies and herbs, then red wine and beef broth are added and its simmered and reduced to a light gravy. And then comes my favorite part its topped and finished with the most heavenly mashed potatoes!