Impossibly Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Enjoy this chicken pot pie filled with peas and carrots – a delightful dinner made using Original Bisquick® mix.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1/2 cup chicken broth|
|1 cup frozen peas and carrots|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese|
|1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix|
|1/2 cup milk|
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add onion and chicken broth heat to simmering. Add frozen vegetables and seasonings. Heat until hot, stirring occasionally until almost all liquid is absorbed. Cool 5 minutes stir in cheese.
- In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto chicken mixture in each muffin cup.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan remove from pan and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290, Carbohydrate 12 g, Cholesterol 130 mg, Fat 2, Fiber 1 g, Protein 26 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, ServingSize 1 Serving , Sodium 600 mg, Sugar 4 g, TransFat 1/2 g
How To Serve Individual Chicken Pot Pies
As these pies contain protein, veg and pastry they are totally great as a meal all in one you dont need to add any side dishes. If you wanted to add a little something for variety then they go great with a crisp green salad.
If you are looking for more single serve pie recipes then also check out this individual shepherds pie.
Products that work great for this recipe
Substitutions And Serving Size
My family felt that using the cream of chicken soup made the flavour “too chickeny”, so I substitute a can of cream of celery soup. I also added salt & pepper to taste and about 1 tbsp each of oregano and parsley. We eliminated the cheese altogether. The suggested serving size would only be accurate for toddlers or as an appetizer. Using a common refigerated biscuit dough, the recipe does indeed make 10 mini pot-pies, however a grown person would likely want 3-4, plus a side salad. Kids would eat about 2-3. With the substitutions above, we make this on a regular basis.
Erin B. | August 3, 2017
Was this helpful?
Recommended Reading: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Mini Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Im kind of obsessed with these mini chicken pot pies. They taste like the ultimate comfort food and are the perfect meal to have on-hand when you only need one serving at a time.
These mini chicken pot pies were inspired by my three-year-old and my grandparents. My daughter loves chicken pot pie and Ive been wanting to make her a healthier option than the frozen stuff at the grocery store. I also like the idea of giving them to my grandparents, who simply cant eat a whole 9 pie.
I actually looked up mini disposable pie pans on Amazon, but found them for sale at my local grocery store chain the same day!
If we love eating these mini chicken pot pies as much I think we will, Im going to invest in reusable glass mini pie pans next time .
The thought of making my own pie crust totally intimidates me so I bought two boxes of the refrigerated stuff at the grocery store. They were on sale for 2 for $5 and I decided the extra cost was worth it.
Overall, I spent $17.49 on the crusts, chicken, vegetables, and pans needed to my mini chicken pot pies. That works out to only $2.92 per pie! But, if you want to save money, making your own crust is definitely the way to go.
I doubled my favorite chicken pot pie recipe and ended up with six mini pot pies.
To figure out how to cut the right size of crust for the bottoms and tops of my pies, I followed the advice on Everything Pies and measured all of the bowls and lids in my kitchen until I found two that were the right size.
Chicken Pot Pies Recipe Already
Thank you so much for your eagerness to view my recipe.
If you would rather not hear my super helpful tips and tricks, FAQ, and my overall awesomeness and get straight to this delicious Chicken Pot Pies Recipe you can very easily scroll all the way to the bottom of this post for the full printable FREE recipe! Bon appetit.
I make this recipe all. the. time. It can easily be doubled for a larger more traditional chicken pot pie. See below on how to do that.
You May Like: Black Muslim Bean Pie Recipe
How To Make Individual Chicken Pot Pies:
If your using the homemade crust prepare that ahead of time.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F .
Coat two 18.6 oz baking dishes with cooking spray and set aside. Click for 18.6 ounce oven safe baking dishes.
In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Add the peas and carrots mix, diced onions, salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook until just browned.
Add the soup and milk. Mix well and cook over medium-low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
Pour the contents of the skillet into the prepared baking dishes.
If your using store bought crust , cut the crust in half and then trim the crust to the shape of the dish enough to reach the top edge all the way around. Cover each dish with half of the pie crust. Cut a few slits into the dough to let steam escape.
If youre using homemade crust, roll out each piece to fit the top of your dishes, and then top each dish with the crusts.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Brush the crusts with the beaten egg.
Place baking dishes on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
Let cool for 10 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!
How To Cook From Frozen
Id recommend not thawing first, and just having your pie go from freezer to the oven, once youve taken off the plastic wrap.
Cooking these from frozen is simple. For BEST results, you should write a simplified version of the instructions below on your pies before freezing.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the foil and plastic wrap.
- Place pies on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for one hour and thirty minutes, or until the tops are golden and the insides are bubbly.
- If the tops brown too quickly, you can loosely cover with foil while baking.
- Allow them to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recommended Reading: Nation’s Pies
Questions For Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
What size pie pans do you use?
I use 2 mini springform pans I bought a looonnnggg time ago. They are about 3-inch in diameter and 2-inches in height. I recommend using those disposable foil pie pans if you need some pie pans in a pinch. Or use an 8-inch or 9-inches round pie pan.
What veggies do I pick?
Honestly, whatever you feel like! Onions, carrots, peas, and potatoes are the classics. Have leftover mushrooms? Bell peppers? Kale? Toss em in. I recommend NOT using any veggies that are high in moisture like tomatoes or squash.
Can I use a store bought pie crust?
Yup! Or make my all-butter crust. For 2 individual pot pies, all you need is enough pie crust for 1 9 inch pie.
How far in advance can I make this?
3 days ahead. Store in fridge covered with plastic wrap to prevent the top pie crust from drying
Can I use a different milk than almond milk?
Yup! Use your favorite milk. I like almond because it is a bit lighter.
What if I dont have time to cook chicken?
Feel free to use store-bought deli chicken or any leftover protein you have on hand. You can pre cook the chicken the day before to make it easier on you.
What does it mean to have more filling versus sauce?
When making the filling, you can the filling be coated lightly with the white sauce. Too much liquid will cause the pie crust to become soggy. If you are making the filling, and notice it is super thickadd more almond milk. If it is too thin, add more cooked veggies or protein. Get it? See below
Freeze Chicken Pot Pie After Baking
- Let pies cool completely after baking.
- Wrap in foil, then freezer-safe plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer for up to three months. Preheat by unwrapping the pies, and placing directly in the oven at 375°F, allow to come to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 35 minutes.
- If the crust starts to brown too much, cover with foil.
You May Like: Damn Good Pies Cantrell
Standard Pie Vs Mini Pot Pies
This recipe makes a dozen pot pies that are the size of a jumbo muffin cup. The miniature size is perfect for personal pies and serves 1. However, you can also make this recipe into two standard 9-inch pies. If you dont think youll be eating 12 pot pies anytime soon, they freeze well unbaked for a future dinner.
Bringing Pot Pie to a potluck? Make this recipe in a disposable foil pan the size of a lasagna pan Its the perfect way to feed a crowd without bringing a ton of pie plates.
Individual Beef Pot Pies
I hodgepodged this recipe together while trying to figure out a way to use my leftover roast beef. I didn’t measure, so ingredient amounts are approximated. Delish!
Provided by Mrs. Pallack
Yield 8 Pies, 8 serving
Number Of Ingredients 12
|1/4 cup onion, finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|salt and pepper|
|1 1/2 cups beef consomme or 1 1/2 cups reconstituted au jus sauce|
|1/2 cup milk|
|1 1/2-2 cups shredded leftover cooked beef|
|2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced|
|1 cup sliced carrot|
|1 cup frozen peas|
|1 double crust pie crust, your favorite recipe|
|1 egg, beaten, for brushing top crust|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil prepared potatoes and carrots in a Dutch oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile –.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium to medium low heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over butter/onion mix, stirring constantly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth and milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, thawed peas, and shredded beef to gravy and mix thoroughly.
- Let mixture cool thoroughy.
- Line ramekins with bottom pie dough.
- Fill ramekins and cover with top crust, pinching edges to create a seal.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Create slits in top crust with a butter knife.
- Bake about 35 minutes until golden brown.
Recommended Reading: Recipe For Bean Pies
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Pillsbury Store-bought pie crust uses Hydrogenated lard, which is not that healthy. Making a homemade all-butter pie crust takes minutes to form into a nice dough ball. After some chilling, this homemade crust rolls out easily and bakes into a flaky pie shell.
There is no need to pre-bake the bottom crust it evenly cooks throughout with the pie filling inside. Use this crust recipe for sweet or savory pies alike!
How To Make Ahead & Freeze
If you want to make these as a freezer meal , to cook later, you absolutely can! Follow the steps above before baking, and then do the following to make it freezer safe:
- Wrap each pie in a layer or two of plastic wrap, making sure to cover any exposed area to prevent freezer burn.
- Wrap each pie in foil.
- Label each pie and freeze for later baking.
Don’t Miss: Damngood Pies Little Rock
How To Make Chicken Curry Pot Pie
The filling in these Instant Pot Mini Chicken Curry Pot Pies is super easy to make thanks to the Instant Pot! It can definitely be made on the stovetop too though the main difference is that you will need to first saute the chicken with butter, onions and spices before simmering the mixture with the potatoes, coconut milk and chicken broth.
In the Instant Pot version, you are pretty much dumping all of your ingredients in and then pressure cooking for just 1 minute. You don’t want to overdo it because you will also be baking it in the oven to get the puff pastry crust golden brown.
Even though the steps for this chicken curry pot pie may seem more involved than other Instant Pot recipes I’ve done, each one is super easy and you can complete certain steps while you are in the process of other steps for example, greasing and getting the ramekins ready, and cutting out the puff pastry while everything pressure cooks.
I also love that these Chicken Curry Pot Pies are also freezer-friendly so even if you have too much filling leftover, you can freeze it for later then do the baking in the oven with the puff pastry on top separately.
These Instant Pot Chicken Curry Pot Pies are also great for entertaining and the holidays coming up because everyone gets their own little savoury pie with a ton of flakey crust. Believe it or not I only discovered the magic of puff pastry a couple of years ago and don’t know why I don’t do more savoury pies more often!
How Do I Make Individual Pot Pies
There are several ways you can make these. As I mentioned above, you could use ramekins or those little foil pie pans. Youll need some form of crust. This could be the crescent roll dough, pie crust, and some people use canned biscuit dough. Whatever floats YOUR boat.
The filling is made with your choice of meat, cream of ?? soup, vegetables, and either heavy cream or milk, plus some seasoning.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- 2 packages refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and diced carrots
- 1/3 cup frozen diced onions
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Perfect Results Non-Stick Mega Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 48-cup Select product: Perfect Results Non-Stick Mega Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 48-Cup Pan
- Expand and Fold 16-Inch Non-Stick Cooling Rack Select product: Expand and Fold 16-Inch Non-Stick Cooling Rack