Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
Tips For Working With Puff Pastry
More chicken pot pie recipes we love:
Is There Canned Soup In Chicken Potpie Casserole
No. I do not use any canned soups for this recipe. Using a Pressure Cooker Or an Instant Pot there is many Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breast Dishes you can make like General Tsos Chicken or Instant Pot chicken Carbonara. Instant Pot Chicken Dishes can be made with frozen chicken or thawed with no time change.
You May Like: Dam Good Pies
Shortcuts To Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
However, just because its made from scratch doesnt mean its hard or time-consuming! This recipe is super easy to whip up and should you know it took me less than 30 minutes to whip up a double batch! I typically have a stash of homemade biscuits on hand since I count on my freezer biscuits recipe to hold me through multiple of biscuit meals! Then a bag of frozen vegetables like freezer corn also makes it easier to have vegetables on hand anytime! Finally, chicken broth is always something I can just blend together from bullion granules and water. So there you have it all the shortcuts to Chicken pot pie but homemade! No wonder its so easy! And you can totally omit the chicken itll still be as good!
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This casserole freezes very well! If you were not aware gravy actually freezes wonderfully which is what I do with almost any leftover gravy recipes, including my staple sausage gravy that I too freeze for shortcuts to breakfast! Also, try to keep the biscuits frozen separately since you would have to thaw the casserole in the first place before baking, as you wouldnt want to compromise on the quality of the biscuits. To freeze pour the gravy into a disposable baking pan and cool completely before wrapping in aluminum foil. Wrap pan in a grocery bag to protect from frost and keep frozen for up to 3 months.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
How Long Will Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Last In Fridge
You can expect your pot pie casserole to store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Anything after that I recommend using your best judgment. This is a great recipe to meal prep for a few days out of the week.
Place them in single-serve containers and then reheat and enjoy.
Give this tried and true Instant Pot Freezer Meal a try. It is a perfect comfort dish recipe that you will love to make over and over again.
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
Yes! Chicken pot pie is one of our favorite freezer meals.
To freeze, simply follow the recipe instructions, except for egg-washing and baking. Cover and freeze for up to about 3 months .
To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then follow the remaining instructions for the recipe. It will likely need an additional 5-10 minute bake time due to it being cold in the refrigerator.
Read Also: The Profit Key Lime
How Are Biscuits Made
Its really simple. I know that using a mix is easy but I promise homemade biscuits are just as easy and taste even better.
There are just a couple things to remember when youre making biscuit dough:
- Cold ingredients
- Use a light touch
Start by mixing your dry ingredients. Then you cut-in cold Challenge Butter thats diced. When I say cut-in I mean use a fork or pastry cutter to disperse the butter through the dry ingredients. Lastly, you stir in your buttermilk with a light touch, meaning that you stop when its just mixed and use your hands to gently finish the process.
Since were making a casserole, I just dropped the biscuit mixture on top the filling, like a chicken pot pie cobbler!
Once the casserole is baked the filling is bubbly and creamy and the biscuits are light and fluffy with crusty edges. This really is the perfect comfort food!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserolerecipe is jam-packed with veggies, lean chicken, and that amazing creamy pop pie flavor!
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 1.5 cups minute white rice
- 1 cups frozen green peas
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Also Check: Mrs Budd’s Chicken Pot Pie Review
Making Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
PREP. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
SAUTE. In a large pot set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots and celery, sauté for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until tender and transparent, about 3 minutes.
SIMMER. Sprinkle flour over top and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking vigorously to help thicken without clumps forming. Add half and half along with the seasonings, whisk to combine.
Bring mixture to a simmer, continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the filling is nice and thick .
Can I Use Frozen Vegetables In Instant Pot Recipes
I use frozen veggies so there is no prep work of cutting them up, and they cook to the perfect consistency. Then pair with chunks of chicken, egg noodles, and a creamy sauce that brings the dish to a finish. Making Chicken Pot Pie in the middle of the summer without heating up your house sounds insane.
You May Like: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toys
Variation & Substitution Ideas
There are a few ways to change up this recipe. Here are some of my ideas that I think would work great.
- Cream Cheese : Instead of using a block of plain cream cheese you can try using a tub of flavored cream cheese. I think some great options would be the green onion & chive, the garlic & herbs, or the garden vegetable cream cheese. I have never used these but I think it would be delicious. It would definitely add more flavor!
- Potatoes : Use any potato you want. I love the Yukon Gold potatoes in this recipe but red potatoes or russet potatoes would be fabulous too.
- Vegetables : You can easily omit a certain vegetable if wanted. If you prefer no celery then simply omit it and add extra carrots and potatoes.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Biscuits or Dinner Rolls | Whip up a batch of biscuits or even dinner rolls to slather up all the creamy goodness that is left on the plate.
- Salad | Transform the dish to become a bit lighter and use a salad as a side dish. Whether you do a chopped salad or a basic side salad, it will add texture and taste to your recipe.
- Vegetables | I know this recipe is loaded with veggies, but you could also pair with a side of roasted vegetables. We love veggies in our home, so it is always an option.
- NO Knead Instant Pot Bread
Recommended Reading: Tomato Pie Delivery
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole With Biscuits
Growing up, our dumplings and biscuits always came from a yellow box. And thats fine, but I love making my own homemade biscuits. By making them from scratch I can use real butter and buttermilk so the end result is a fluffy and light biscuit.
Whenever I make biscuits I use Challenge Butter. Challenge is our family favorite and Ive been eating it my entire life. Challenge is only dairy product company that controls the whole process when it comes to making its butter, from milking the cows to transporting milk, to making butter to packaging. And it tastes amazing!
Chicken Pot Pie + Chicken Casserole
If this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole isnt the ultimate comfort food, I dont know what is.
Once you taste this easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe, I know youll be as hooked as we are! Casseroles dont only have to be eaten at grandmas house, they can be a hit for any family! All the warmth, flavor, and ease that make a truly great meal, all in one place. My kind of recipe!
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Delivery
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
To make this chicken pot pie recipe youll need about 3o minutes of prep time . If youre making biscuits from scratch, youll want to give yourself an additional 10-15 minutes. Really, 30 minutes is not so much to ask when youll be eating a delicious comfort food dinner that reminds you of home!
Campbells Chunky Chicken Pot Pie
Campbells® Chunky® Pub-Style Chicken Pot Pie takes satisfying comfort food to a whole new level. With every spoonful of this ready to eat soup, youll dig into hearty dumplings, big pieces of chicken and vegetables like peas and carrots. Who wouldnt want to tackle hunger with the familiar, stick-to-your-ribs flavors
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
How To Store And Reheat:
If you have left over chicken pot pie casserole, store in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. We like to store in individual containers as this casserole makes a great lunch the next day.
We prefer to heat the leftover in the oven, but it can be reheated in the microwave. If you are heating in the over, preheat oven to 300 degrees. Make sure to cover the edges with foil to ensure they do not burn when reheating.
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
A chicken pot pie casserole is comfort food at its best! There is something comforting about a creamy gravy nestled with vegetables like corn, green beans, or peas and then topped with a homemade buttery crust! Its super easy to whip up from scratch and Ive made this casserole with and without chicken pieces so either of one works since the flavor really comes from the homemade gravy! Homemade is best when it comes to comfort food so you wont be seeing any canned soups in this recipe!
You May Like: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
What Is Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Chicken pot pie casserole is just like classic chicken pot pie made with chicken, carrots, celery, peas, mushrooms, and a creamy sauce, but made in a giant casserole dish with a rice base instead of biscuits.
The reason we love this recipe so much is that its actually easier to make than classic pot pie which is classically made with a homemade biscuit topping of some sort.
Try These Other Family Favorite Casserole Recipes
Creamy Beef Noodle Bake : A family favorite with creamy egg noodles covered in cottage cheese and sour cream, ground beed with a seasoned tomato sauce base and shredded cheese.
Fiesta Chicken Casserole : Spiral pasta noodles with chicken, beans, tomatoes, topped with cheese and covered in salsa and sour cream.
Lasagna Casserole : Like classic lasagna but an easier casserole recipe that requires no layering!
Taco Biscuit Bake : Taco seasoned ground beef is mixed with flaky biscuits in this fun twist to the classic taco.
Pepperoni Pizza Biscuit Casserole : Pepperoni pizza mixed with pizza sauce, cheese, and topped with biscuits.
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie Ingredients
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
Classic chicken pot pie casserole is a comfort food classic recipe. I am not a huge fan of pie crust as a topping which is why we love this version that’s topped with parmesan butter flaky biscuits on top.
A creamy filling of chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, peas, and cream cheese topped with flaky buttermilk biscuits from a can.
Trust me when I say that this chicken pot pie casserole needs to be on your dinner menu soon!