Tater Tot Sheperds Pie
- large cancream of mushroom soup
- 2 cansfrench green beans or corn or 1 of each, drained
- 1 32 oz bagtater tots
- 1 brickvelveeta cheese only use 1/2
mix w/cream of mushroom soup.
pour mixture into 9×13 casserole dish
top with vegetables
Add sliced velveeta onto top, bake additional 10 minutes or until cheese browned and bubbly
Tater Tot Casserole With Veggies
Tater tot casserole with veggies is a complete meal in a pan! My favorite clean-out-the-fridge recipe, and a total crowd pleaser.
Shepherds pie is basically just a casserole topped with potatoes. It is definitely one of our favorite meals. When you top something with potatoes, its pretty easy to love in my opinion.
Beyond the carbs, what I really love about shepherds pie is that it is the ultimate clean-out-your-fridge meal. You can completely customize it based on what you have in on hand. Most vegetables will work in a shepherds pie, and you can use ground beef, turkey, or even lentils if you want to go vegetarian.
Tater Tot Shepherds Pie
Sign up to receive FREE weekly emails with recipes, coupons and other money saving tips right into your inbox. Become a friend on Facebook too AND/OR join the $5 Meal Plan Family and get meal plans delivered to you each week!
Its often joked in the mom circles that you lose brain cells with each kid you have. So I wonder if that means that Ive have 4x less than I had before the little dudes showed up. And I wonder if I get an all-boy-handicap of sorts. Because oh-my-holy-guacamolethey make me crazy sometimes.
For the most part Im used to their level of busy-ness and movement, but sometimes I just want to push the pause button. Or scream at the top of my lungs FREEEEEEEEEEZE. Because oh-my-holy-guacamole. Just be still for one minute. Please.
Its this meal that makes me wonder if I really am losing my mind. A few weeks back, I hit up the local grocery store during their frozen sale and stocked up on a number of different types and sizes of hash browns, sweet potato fries, waffle fries and tater tots. In my mind, the tater tots were in one of the larger bags that I had purchased. You know, the mind thats swirling and trying to keep tabs on the boys as they run around the backyard and ride their bikes and cars out in the cul de sacoften reminding, rememberplease dont do anything that might result in a trip to the ER. Seriously, I say that at least twice a week.
So back to this dinner we enjoyed.
Also Check: Maud Pie Plush
Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie
If you love a creamy cheese sauce, tater tots and ground beef casseroles, this is going to be a tasty addition to your casserole making this Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie.Made with a creamy soup, sour cream with a ground beef sauce then baked all together topped with cheesy frozen tater tots baked to a crispy golden brown.I love easy meals like this one and with just a few ingredients to keep on hand you can have this done in no time and it’s a favorite 30-minute meal.We made many pasta casseroles, economical bean meals and one-pan meals being on the go and busy lifestyles, we need those kinds of quick meals that fill you up and are tasty, this is one of them.The first time I made this, I have to admit, it didn’t look that great but tasted delicious so don’t let the sloppy looking messy pan turn you away.This isn’t like a regular mashed potato shepherd’s pie, this one has all the flavors but with a crunchy potato topping and much creamier beef.Scroll down to the bottom and check out or print this yummy recipe.
Shepherd’s Tot Hot Dish
Shepherd’s pie meets its match with a Midwestern favorite– in Tater Tot® hot dish form! Good ol’ comfort food, whichever side of the pond you are on… When serving, top with A.1. or HP sauce for an extra kick!
Provided by Eric I
|1 package frozen bite-size potato nuggets|
|4 tablespoons butter|
|1 cup finely chopped onion|
|1 cup finely chopped celery|
|1 tablespoon garlic, minced|
|1 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1 can peas and carrots, drained|
|1 can whole kernel corn|
|2 pounds ground beef|
|1 package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese|
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F . Arrange potato nuggets in a single layer on a 11×17-inch baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F . Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a stockpot or braising pan over low heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Add peas and carrots and corn. Continue stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir ground beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain fat. Pour beef into the stockpot. Add Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish and level the top. Spread potato nuggets on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven, rotating halfway, until heated through, about 30 minutes. Add cheese on top and bake until cheese melts, about 15 minutes more.
Don’t Miss: American Pie Band Camp Free
These Are The Strangest Foods From Every Stateyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
You can eat these even if you have a seafood allergy as long as you’re not squeamish. Rocky Mountain oysters also known as prairie oysters, cowboy caviar, and Montana tendergroin, among other things, and eaten all over the West and parts of the Midwest are bull calf testicles, breaded and fried and usually served with a dipping sauce. Raisins are great in trail mix and in raisin bread, but a whole slice of pie filled with nothing but these already cloyingly sweet dried grapes sweetened further with sugar and bound with cornstarch? Maybe not. America has no shortage of excessive burger presentations, but this Las Vegas monstrosity has them all beat. It’s two patties of two pounds each, topped with cheddar and jack cheese, pork belly, tatertots, tomatoes, jalapenos, barbecue sauce, and ranch dressing, all sandwiched inside an entire French-bread boule. The whole thing weighs 10 pounds. Can we get a wheelbarrow full of fries with that? Those hard little pebbles called Grape Nuts seem like the quintessential cereal for austere New Englanders, lacking color or sugary frosting. In New Hampshire, though, they are turned toward indulgence not with milk and sugar but by stirring them into ice cream. Another entry in the too-much-of-a-good-thing sweepstakes, this offering, from the Bagel Nook in Freehold, sandwiches crushed Oreos mixed with cream cheese into a chocolate-and-vanilla-swirled bagel. Have your lox on the side.
24/7 Wall St
Ingredients For Meat Mixture
Because its a Tater Tot Cottage Pie, the main ingredient is Tater Tots. However, the other main ingredient is ground beef.
- Ground Beef: I like to use a lean ground beef. For this particular dish, I used 93% ground beef. You could also use 85% ground beef.
- Gravy: For the gravy, I use low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth. Both work well it depends on what I have on hand. To enhance the savory flavor, I add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and Dijon mustard to the broth.
- Olive Oil or Butter: Regardless of the type of beef that I use, I always drain it well after browning. Therefore, I add a bit of olive oil or butter to sauté the onions and carrots.
- Vegetables: I use chopped onions, chopped carrots and frozen green peas for the vegetables.
- Seasonings: The seasonings are minimal just salt and pepper.
- Thickener: I use all-purpose flour as a thickener of the gravy. Ive also used Bisto original gravy powder as a thickener. While Bisto is readily available in the UK, its sometimes hard to find in the US. The flour works just as well!
You May Like: Best Bean Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s Pie With Tater Tot Topping
Provided by Nancy Fuller
|6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus for buttering casserole dish|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|Kosher salt and black pepper|
|4 spring onions or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped|
|3 pounds 80/20 ground beef|
|1/4 cup chili powder|
|One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained|
|2 cups beef broth|
|1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen peas|
|12 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated|
|1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan|
How To Make Tater Tot Shepherds Pie
This is one of those recipes that I have been meaning to make forever. I picked up a bag of Tater Tots something that rarely graces my freezer because they are delicious and evil and addicting and thought perhaps I would do a classic mushroom soup and Tater Tot casserole, something a friend suggested I try when I was craving my usual mushroom soup fix.
For some reason when I went to pull out the bag of Tater Tots, I had this irresistible urge to make Shepherds Pie with Tater Tots on top, instead of the mushroom soup concoction.
My son also wanted to make dinner that night and this was the perfect dinner for him to practice his budding culinary skills on. At ten he is more than capable of frying up the ground beef
and then placing the various layers. This is the kind of cooking that gets kids excited to be in the kitchen. You can then move on to *ahem* healthier dishes, but its all about getting that passion started!
Well done buddy!
Holy Dinah you guys, this is seriously everything awesome in one dish!
Kid friendly? Check, the kids loved it.
Comfort food? Oh yes, better than mashed potatoes on top, I kid you not!
Easy to make? Checkity check! Its so fast and simple to put this together for supper!
Too late now, Pandoras box has been opened and Tater Tots have entered our household.
For those of you who have asked, yes, a stoneware casserole dish is perfect for this and is what I use. Pretty, arent they?
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than Tater Tots,
Read Also: 6 Inch Glass Pie Plate
What To Serve With Tater Tot Cottage Pie
In a way, Tater Tot Cottage Pie is a meal in and of itself. After all, it has meat, vegetables and potatoes all in one dish! Therefore, the sides are really incidental to the meal.
Because the Master Taste Tester likes Brussel sprouts, I often serve them with the dish. In the winter time, I like to serve collard greens. At other times, a light salad or steamed broccoli goes well with the Tater Tot Cottage Pie.
Finally, I sometimes serve crusty French bread with it.
More Family Dinner Recipes
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the diced onion and carrot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Tilt the pan and try to drain as much liquid from the beef as possible.
- With the heat on medium-low, add the garlic, flour, tomato paste, oregano and thyme. Mix well.
- Pour the red wine into the pan and add the Worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt and black pepper and mix.
- Ad the broth and bring to a simmer cooking for about 20 minutes or until the beef has thickened.
- Transfer the beef to a 9×13 inch baking pan or oven safe casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Carefully place the tater tots on top of the meat making sure to cover all of the beef. It’s okay if they are piled on top of one another.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and teh tater totas are crispy and the meat is bubbling around the edges of the pan.
- Serve at once.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
More About Shepherds Pie Recipe Tater Tots
SHEPHERD’S PIE TATER TOT CASSEROLE – THIS IS NOT DIET FOOD
- Dump ground beef into a large saute pan over medium-high heat, along with a dab of margarine or butter.
TATER TOTS SHEPHERD’S PIE – THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
- Fry the ground beef and onion together until the beef is browned and no longer pink inside. Drain the grease .
- Combine the seasoning mix with the amount of water listed on the package in the frying pan, add the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
SHEPHERD’S PIE TOPPED WITH TATER TOTS | RECIPE – RACHAEL …
FromEstimated Reading Time
- Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high to high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan
SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH TATER TOTS – ACCIDENTAL HAPPY BAKER
- Add the flour to the browned hamburger and stir until it’s completely dissolved. On medium heat, whisk in the consomme and milk. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture has thickened and is bubbly.
TATER TOT SHEPHERD’S PIE | WHAT’S COOKIN’ ITALIAN STYLE …
FromEstimated Reading Time
10 BEST SHEPHERDS PIE WITH TATER TOTS RECIPES | YUMMLY
SHORTCUT SHEPHERD’S PIE – THE SHORTCUT …
- Stir in condensed soup, mixed vegetables and seasonings. Leave in oven safe skillet, or spread into the bottom of a casserole dish.
EASY SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH TATER TOTS – SIP AND SPICE
Finishing The Tater Tot Cottage Pie
The final addition to the meat filling was frozen green peas. I added them, and stirred to combine everything. The peas didnt need any cooking at this point. The reason was that they would be cooked in the final stages of the Tater Tot Cottage Pie.
I transferred the filling to a casserole dish that I had sprayed with non-stick spray.
Then, I evened out the mixture. Finally, I topped the meat filling with frozen Tater Tots. There is no need to thaw the Tater Tots for this dish theyll cook in the oven.
I popped the Tater Tot Cottage Pie into a preheated 450°F oven for 35 minutes. The reason for using such a high temperature was that 450°F was the recommended temperature for cooking the Tater Tots.
After 35 minutes, the mixture was bubbly and the Tater Tots were golden brown.
Using Tater Tots in place of mashed potatoes on this cottage pie was a huge success. It significantly cut down on the preparation time. Whats more important, however, was that the Tater Tot Cottage Pie was awesome. Yum!
Read Also: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Tater Tot Topped Shepherd’s Pie
- Servings: 6-8
- 4 cups frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium high heat until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Add meat to the pan and top with frozen vegetables and French fried onions.
In a small bowl, stir together both cans of soup, milk, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over the top of the beef and vegetables. Top casserole with frozen tater tots, covering the top of the casserole. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and return to oven for another 5-10 minutes