How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and youre looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water , and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
This Chicken Pot Pie Chowder Recipe From Womansdaycom Is The Best
When it exits the oven, golden. the spruce eats / ulyana verbytska this tasty turkey pie recipe is made with top and bottom crust,. Chicken pot pie is a hearty autumn or winter meal that never fails to please. A twist on the traditional pot pie for the italian at heart. Our chicken pot pie is made with a classic chicken and vegetable filling, a thick and creamy gravy, and a top and bottom crust. Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, tomatoes, and italian seasonings give this chicken pot pie a flavor that tastes like pizza in casserole form. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. Often, the simplest things are the most satisfying, especially when it comes to making a delicious lunch or dinner. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. From green bean casserole to apple pie, hearty, warming dishes are a big part of what makes this time of year so special. Chicken pot pie soup is a hearty and comforting soup that has all the creamy goodness of chicken pot pie without all the work. Every item on this page was chosen by a woman’s day editor. This chicken pot pie chowder recipe from womansday.com is the best. Days like those call for the. Grilled chicken is easy, quick and healthy food.
From green bean casserole to apple pie, hearty, warming dishes are a big part of what makes this time of year so special chicken pot pie recipe. Days like those call for the.
Other Easy Family Dinner Recipes We Love:
- 2 ozcream cheeseit must be softened to avoid lumps
- 2tspkosher saltadjust to taste
- 1cupmilkwhole works best if available
- 1/2cupheavy whipping creamhalf and half can also be used
- 2cupsdiced, cooked chicken
- 3cupsmixed vegetables Small sized veggies such as diced carrots, peas, corn and potatoes work well. If using frozen, make sure to thaw first
- 1packageready made roll out pie crustsI recommend Pillsbury brand
Recommended Reading: Black Muslim Bean Pie Recipe
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all of the flavors of the classic comfort food casserole, but in soup form! It is dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and Whole30. You can make this pot pie soup in the crock pot, Instant Pot, or on the stovetop! Ive included a keto pot pie soup option, as well.
This post was originally published on November 3, 2019 and updated with new photos and copy on November 11, 2021!
Creamy chicken soups are my love language. In my opinion, there is nothing better than this recipe for chicken pot pie soup. It is packed with carrots, celery, onion, tender chicken, green beans, and potatoes in a dairy free creamy broth. This soup has all the flavors of classic chicken pot pie, except made with clean, better-for-you ingredients! Ive included variations for everyone below including nut free & low carb. I guarantee nobody will know this soup is completely dairy free!
How Do You Thicken Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup should already be luxuriously thick and creamy due to the flour, half and half and cornstarch, but if you would still like a thicker soup, you can use any of these methods:
- Cornstarch: This is my preferred method and super easy. Remove about Â¼ cup soup and whisk in 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Flour: Flour is half as potent as cornstarch so you will need twice as much. Remove about Â½ cup soup, whisk in 2-4 tablespoons flour with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Mash potatoes: Microwave a few potatoes, mash them and add them to the soup.
- Add creamed corn: Add one can of creamed corn to add corn flavor and thicken the soup.
- Puree soup: Remove 1-2 cups of the soup and puree it in your blender or food processor. It will add body to the soup while preserving the flavor.
- Puree beans: Add cannellini beans to a blender along with some of the soup. Puree until smooth to create a paste. Stir back into the soup and warm through.
Read Also: 8 Pyrex Pie Plate
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Use chicken thighs: This chicken pot pie soup recipe will work with chicken breasts or chicken thighs, but for best flavor use chicken thighs or shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Simmer chicken until tender: Whether using chicken thighs or breasts, check the pieces individually for tenderness when simmering because they may cook unevenly. Be prepared to remove pieces of chicken at different times.
- Rotisserie chicken: Stock shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken portioned into 3-cup freezer bags so you always have chicken ready to add to any soup.
- Dont burn the bits: When searing the chicken, you dont blackened bits, or they will make your soup taste burnt. If the chicken is browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
- Customize vegetables: In addition to the mirepoix, you can add whatever veggies you have on hand or mix it up just for fun! Green beans, corn, zucchini, cabbage, spinach, etc. would all be delicious. Just be aware most vegetables only need 10 minutes to cook.
- Consistency: You can make this chicken pot pie soup more or less chunky or more or less creamy. For a less chunky soup, simply add additional broth or half and half at the end of cooking. For a thicker soup, add extra cornstarch.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This crockpot recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is hearty dinner idea for chilly nights. Serve with puff pastry breadsticks instead of pie crust!
Last spring, Christine and I met with one of my friends at a soup restaurant for dinner. One of the soups that they had on the menu was chicken pot pie soup. I had never heard of it, but since we love chicken pot pie, we decided to try the soupand were disappointed.
We all agreed that a homemade version would be much better. With the cooler temps weve been having, it was the perfect time to try making it. The slow cooker chicken pot pie soup turned out great and I served it with thin, crispy puff pastry Italian breadsticks.
For this soup, you need cream of chicken base. I used the store-bought, condensed cream of chicken soup, but you can make homemade cream of chicken soup if you prefer.
Cut two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into cubes and place them in your crock pot.
Top with about 2 1/2 cups of frozen, mixed vegetables. Mine included carrots, peas, corn and beans.
Then, add 3 cups of cubed potatoes.
Top it all with cream of chicken soup.
Mix it together and cook on high for about 6 hours.
Stir the mixture into the chicken pot pie soup. Put the lid back on the crockpot and allow the soup to thicken for about 10 minutes. This method will only work if your soup is simmering or boiling slowly.
Don’t Miss: Easy Bean Pie Recipe
How To Make Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie On The Stove Top
Heat your cooking fat of choice in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften and the garlic is fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces, potatoes, green beans, chicken broth, sherry, and spices/herbs. Bring the soup to a boil and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Make the cashew cream while the soup cooks. Shred the chicken, and add the cashew cream and stir well.
How To Make Chicken For Recipes
BAKE. To make life easier, whenever I cook chicken for dinner, I always bake up a few extra plain chicken breast. I stick them in a ziploc freezer bag and put them in the freezer to save for a quick dinner fix.
BOIL OR GRILL. If you dont have any cooked chicken on hand, you can bake a couple breasts, grill them, or boil them.
ROTISSERIE. One of my favorite, easy things to do is purchase a rotisserie chicken for quick dinner assembly! Our grocery store even sells them pre-shredded at a decent price!
SLOW COOKER. Another option would be to put a few pounds of chicken breasts with one cup of chicken broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. When done, shred chicken and use immediately in recipes or divide in ziploc freezer bags for future meals. This is something I tend to do on the weekends when were just relaxing at home.
Also Check: Damn Good Pies Kavanaugh
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is an easy slow cooker dinner recipe made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and mixed veggies and topped with Pillsbury biscuits.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is a hearty chicken dinner recipe perfect for cold weather.
This creamy chicken and vegetable mixture is cooked in the slow cooker and then topped with fresh baked biscuits.
This chicken pot pie recipe takes about twenty minutes of prep time and three and a half hours of cook time.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you dont miss out on any important tips and tricks!
To make this slow cooker chicken pot pie, I started by spraying the inside of my Crock Pot with cooking spray.
Then I added some diced onions to the bottom of the pot.
I placed some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a single layer on top of the diced onions.
Then I poured some cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
I added a packet of chicken gravy mix, salt and pepper to the pot.
Then I poured some water on top.
I placed the lid on the slow cooker and set it to cook on high for three and a half hours.
After two and a half hours of cooking time, I used tongs to lift the chicken thighs out of the pot and set them on a cutting board.
I chopped up the cooked chicken thighs.
Then I returned the chopped chicken to the Crock Pot.
Dedicated To Inspiring You To Live A Life Of Balance
This Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food! Tender chicken is mixed with vegetables in a creamy sauce and enveloped in a flaky and butter crust.
Ive linked a few products in this post that are affiliate links. Note that I may receive a small commission.
Surely there is a list out there of the top dishes that ooze comfort. Chicken pot pie is undoubtedly on that list!
Tender chicken, snappy green peas, delicate carrots, and pillowy potatoes are combined to create a thick sauce which is enveloped by perfectly golden brown crust. Its a classic, for sure, and one that I bet many out there have a tried and true recipe for.
This is the Chicken Pot Pie that my mom made all the time growing up! Not only is the savory mixture topped with flaky crust, but it also sits in it, too! This Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is unbeatable! Read on to learn more.
Read Also: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie Key West
How Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
To bake a frozen pie, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the pie for 30 minutes covered with foil, remove the foil and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot inside.
Baking the pie on a baking sheet covered in foil will make for easy clean-up in case it bubbles over!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is just perfect for those busy nights where youre not sure what to cook but you know youre in need of something special.
The lattice top is so pretty, but if youre in a real rush, you can just lay the crust on top, poke some holes, and let it do its thing. The easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe will still look delicious and taste exactly the same.
No need to get fancy when dinner awaits! I like to make Chicken Pot Pies as EASY as possible if you couldnt tell. I want to get right to the eating and not have to slave away in the kitchen.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Company
Ingredients For Making Paleo Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- ghee This is clarified butter where most of the dairy has been removed. If you have a dairy allergy, you can also use olive oil or vegan butter.
- chicken Breasts I love getting organic chicken from Butcher Box
- Russet potatoes
- chicken broth My favorite is Kettle & Fire. Code MARY gets you 20% off their site!
- dried sage, rosemary, and thyme
- raw, unsalted cashews these work best for the cashew cream.
Soaking the cashews in hot water for a couple of hours prior to blending can help to make the creamiest version possible. Its not totally necessary if you have a good blender, though!