Consider Freezing Before Shipping
Hedeman is a big proponent of freezing, both as a way to protect the baked good by making it harder and more solid, and to help it stay fresh en route. He recommends enfolding the treat tightly in plastic wrap or a ziploc bag before freezing. For cookies, he says, you could even wrap them on a plate with plastic, and then freeze them in the arrangement youd like them to present in.
If going the frozen route, you dont need an insulated shipping container, says Hedeman just keep the cookies or baked goods in their plastic packaging and let them defrost as they travel. There might be some moisture due to the defrosting, but not so much that the package leaks, which would go against USPS rules. Still, just to be safe, Hedeman advises against using water-soluble packaging materials like biodegradable packing peanuts.
What Other Treats Can You Mail
You could also ship fudge, candied nuts, caramels, bark, and homemade candy are all awesome treats that can typically make the journey from your kitchen to your loved one.
Depending on the recipe, fudge can keep at room temperature for weeks. Just remember to take into account the weather if its hot and humid the fudge may sweat or melt during travel.
These are super easy to ship and are probably the least fussy option. Just make sure theyre in an airtight container and dont have a ton of wiggle room so they dont bounce around and break.
- My addictive candied pecans would be perfect!
As long as theyre all tightly individually wrapped in an airtight container, caramels typically travel well.
Since its already broken into pieces, you dont really need to worry about how it holds up to the shipping process! But keep in mind if its largely made of chocolate, it could be prone to melting.
- If its not going far and youre feeling lucky, you could try shipping 4-Ingredient Peppermint Bark or Cranberry White Chocolate Bark
Be careful when it comes to homemade candy chocolate candies tend to melt if it gets too warm. Hard candied are usually okay, but make sure theyre sturdy and not too delicate.
- Silly name, delicious treat: Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Use Shipping Software To Save The Most Money On Your Postage
No matter which service you use to ship with USPS, youre going to want to save all the money that you can on postage. If youre wondering how, weve got the answer for you in three words: online shipping software. When you use online USPS shipping software, you can get access to the deepest level of discounts that USPS offers, known as Commercial Pricing. Shipping software also gives you access to special services like Priority Mail Cubic, which we talked about a few paragraphs up. Think of using shipping software like getting an exclusive invite to a secret dinner party, where pie is the main course! Imagine that.
The best part about using shipping software to buy postage online is that you dont even have to leave your home if you dont want to. You can buy and print the labels right from your computer, and you can even schedule free pickups for your packages that your letter carrier makes happen at the time when they usually deliver your mail. That means that youll not only save tons of money, but youll never have to go to the Post Office again!
There are many different online shipping software options out there, and some are definitely better than others. If youre looking for the one thats right for you, we suggest doing some research. Checking out our Reviews page is a great place to start!
You May Like: Church’s Apple Pie
Think Carefully About How You Pack
Parchment paper, aluminum foil, and plastic wrap are the best materials to secure your food followed by an extra layer of covering or fitted in a ziplock bag. When packing cookies, brownies, or bars, place a sheet of wax/parchment paper between each layer if you are packing them together. If you stop by your local craft store you can find or boxes to pack the wrapped goods in. Also, your handy-dandy plastic containers are ideal for sealing in freshness.
Try to avoid foods that need to be refrigerated. In the case you have to ship something that needs to remain cold, pack your food in a styrofoam container surrounded by frozen gel packs. Once your goods are wrapped properly, find a small- to medium-sized box that will fit all the contents with a little extra room for padding. Bubble wrap, newspapers, and styrofoam are good for stuffing inside the box to prevent your baked goods from moving around while shipping.
Gather Materials Needed For Shipping A Pie
Properly shipping a pie isnt a matter of baking it and simply throwing a shipping label and sending it along its way. As far as dessert delivery disasters go, opening a gift box to a destroyed pie is next level disappointing. Make sure to get the necessary materials to give your baked pastry the preservation it deserves. Some of our recommended materials for the perfect pie send-off include:
There are many advantages to choosing a pie/cake box, as other types of boxes wont provide the same level of protection for this specific sweet treat. Plus, they help out the recipient in terms of providing an easy way to store their pie in the fridge.
Also Check: Sing And Dance Pinkie Pie
The Pie Pizzerias Shipping Terms And Conditions
Shipping charges are separate. A $9 handling fee for the insulated shipping box and dry ice will be added to each order, plus the actual shipping charges. We do not set shipping prices, nor do we mark them up! We ship 3 pies per container in an effort to get the best value for your money.
Pies are packed in an insulated container with dry ice for shipping anywhere in the USA. Your pizza will be made fresh to order, frozen overnight, and shipped the next day. Please view the delivery schedule below:
- All orders placed Monday will be delivered on Wednesday.
- All orders placed Tuesday will be delivered on Thursday.
- All orders placed Wednesday will be delivered on Friday.
- All orders placed Thursday will be delivered on Tuesday.
- All orders placed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be delivered on Tuesday.
In addition, you may select the delivery day to be later than the default day by specifying the desired day on the order. All orders will be processed out of Salt Lake City.
How To Package Cakes For Shipping
If youre wondering how to ship a cake with frosting, this is the best way to package frosted cakes for shipping:
Also Check: Bob’s Red Mill Pie Crust Mix
Southern Baked Pie Company Georgia
Salted Caramel Turtle Pie
Founded in Gainesville, Georgia in 2012, Southern Baked Pie Company was launched by Amanda Wilbanks. Based on treasured family recipes and an all-butter pie dough that melts in your mouth, Amanda and her team of bakers create gourmet sweet and savory pies in a variety of sizes including: whole 10-inch pies, petite 5-inch pies, and bite-size tassies. Not sure which pie to buy? Their signature French Coconut Custard Pie was featured on the Today Show. No matter what you order, you cant go wrong.
The Cheapest Way To Ship Baked Goods
In most cases, USPS is the cheapest way to ship baked goods. We break down the cheapest ways to ship baked goods using USPS below.
- Packages Under One Pound – USPS First-Class Package Service is the cheapest shipping option for packages that weigh less than 1 lb. . This service will deliver packages between 1 and 3 business days. Depending on where youre shipping to, it may only cost $3 or $4 per package. However, First Class Package doesnt provide USPS insurance, so we recommend purchasing shipping insurance in case something goes wrong.
- Packages Over One Pound – USPS Priority Mail Cubic prices shipping fees based on a packages outer dimensions, not its total weight. This allows you to ship fully loaded packages for the same price as lightly loaded packages. USPS Priority Mail Cubic offers 1-3 business day delivery and comes with insurance up to $100. The fine print: the packages total weight must not exceed 20 pounds and its total volume must be under 0.5 cubic feet.
Recommended Reading: 8 Inch Pyrex Pie Plate
Ship Baked Goods At The Beginning Of The Week
The best time to ship baked goods is early in the week. Sweets shipped on Fridays often get stuck in sorting facilities over the weekend. The odds of delays go up later in the week, increasing the chances that your customers will receive stale, or worse, sweets that have fallen into the food safety temperature danger zone.
How To Ship Banana Bread
We explain how to wrap, package, and ship banana bread. You can use this method for other moist, quick loaves such as pumpkin, zucchini, and glazed lemon bread.
Kermits Key West Lime Shoppe
Key West, FLIf youre going to order yourself a key lime pie, you might as well go directly to the source. Kermits Key West Lime Shoppe uses actual key limes in celebration of the official Florida state pie. Its tart and zippy as every good key lime pie should be, but mellows out thanks to condensed milk and cream cheese.
Send Pie By Mail Overnight
As you could probably guess with any perishable item. Sending a pie requires specific shipping requirements that may cause the delivery to agave specific requirements. As they are perishable, pies should be refrigerated to maintain freshness.
Overnight delivery is a popular option when sending a pie in the mail because it guarantees that the pie will arrive fresh to its destinations. The last thing you want is for your recipient to open a stale dessert, but with a combination of ice packs and expressed shipping, theyll be enjoying pie in no time.
Recommended Reading: Peach Cobbler With Frozen Pie Crust
What Are The Ingredients In Key Lime Pie
Traditionally, a key lime pie’s filling consists of key lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk. It typically sits in a graham cracker crust, although it can also be cooked in a more traditional pie crust. It is sometimes served without a topping but often has a light meringue topping made from egg whites or whipped cream. The pie is served chilled.
How To Prepare Cookies To Be Mailed
Its a bit of a process, but its definitely worth taking the time to do right so that your delicious treats show up to their intended recipient in good condition.
- Wrap everything in plastic wrap. And make sure you wrap chewy and crunchy cookies . If you store them together, the chewy cookies will lose their moisture to the crunchy cookies .
- Size matters. If youre shipping different types of cookies, stack bigger ones at the bottom, with smaller and lighter ones on top.
- Give them some room. You dont want to overcrowd the cookies as theyll be more likely to get crushed and crumble.
- Add plenty of padding. You want to add enough packing materials to ensure they cant shift and move around during transport. Gently stuff the contain with tissue paper, newspaper, or bubble wrap.
- Pack cookies in a sturdy, hard-sided container. Its not the prettiest presentation, but plastic is best for a tight seal. However, a tin wrapped in plastic wrap or sealed in a large ziplock bag is good too.
- Add padding to the shipping container, too! Surround your cookie tin with even more padding materials inside the box youll be shipping them in to give it an even better chance of not getting knocked around.
- Write instructions on the shipping container. Use a black marker to clearly write fragile, handle with care, perishable and/or this way up to best reduce your chances of the container getting flipped around every which way.
Also Check: Campbell Soup Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
How To Package Cookies For Shipping