Pro Tips To Make This Recipe
- If your dough looks crumbly after adding the water then place a spoonful in the palm of your hand and squeeze together. if it forms into a clump then its fine! If its still a crumbly mess add a few more tablespoons of ice water.
- Give the egg wash a thorough mix for a nice even golden crust. globs of egg whites will mar the look and texture.
- When rolling out the dough make sure to move it around frequently and add more flour to the work surface and top.
- If your dough cracks while rolling then pinch together and let it rest a minute or two. Its probably too cold.
- If you dont like lemon just substitute with water and skip the zest.
- Use any crust you love, a cookie crust is fast and easy but so is a pre-made frozen pie shell.
- Adding a final glaze of strawberry jam to all the berries on top gives a luscious finish that also protects the fruit and lets your strawberry pie keep for longer in the fridge.
Old Fashioned Fresh Strawberry Pie Faqs And Tips
How do you thicken Strawberry Pie filling?
And unlike strawberry pie fillings made with Jello, the cornstarch helps make the pie filling creamy and smooth.
Why is my Strawberry Pie runny?
If your pie is runny, then it most likely means you didnt cook your strawberry pie filling long enough.
Make sure you let the strawberry mixture boil for 2-3 minutes or until it is thick like a jelly glaze. Once thickened, remove from the heat and let it cool. It will set up even more as it cools.
Can I use a store-bought pie crust?
Yes, and for this particular pie I recommend it because it makes things so much easier. However, if you have a fabulous homemade pie crust recipe you swear by, use it!
You could also use a graham cracker pie crust, if you really want to speed up things.
How do you keep Fresh Strawberry Pie crust from getting soggy?
One of my favorite tricks for preventing a soggy pie crust is to line the bottom with a layer of melted chocolate.
Once your pie crust has been baked and cooled, use a pastry brush to brush on an even layer of chocolate. Then refrigerate the pie crust for 5-10 minutes or until it has fully set before filling with your strawberry pie filling.
This helps prevent any liquid from seeping into the bottom of the crust and adds a sweet and delicious flavor!
This Strawberry Pie Recipe Is The Must Make Recipe Of The Spring/summer And Can Be Made 100% Ahead Of Time
Looking for a simple yet sensational pie? This fresh strawberry pie is the answer! Youll love every bite of fresh, juicy, sweet strawberries coated in a light, luscious strawberry glazeall cocooned in a buttery, flaky pie shell. Add a big dollop of fresh cream and heaven awaits! This strawberry pie is recipe is the perfect addition to pool parties and barbecues , special occasions and is equally sensational at baby showers, bridal showers, birthday parties or just because! This recipe stands out above the rest because it utilizes both fresh strawberries and a hint of strawberry Jell-O to create an irresistible sweet, fresh strawberry glaze thats thick enough to coat the strawberries, but thin enough to delivers a loose filling. You can load the strawberry pie filling into the buttery homemade pie shell OR use a store-bought pie crust so theres no reason not to make this recipe today! This fresh strawberry pie also earns major points because it can be made 100% ahead of time, including the whipped cream, thanks to my stabilized whipped cream technique, for a stress-free dessert! Ive included detailed instructions on how to make strawberry pie so even if youve never made pie before, it will be a runaway success and its so much easier than you think!
Recommended Reading: One Peanut Butter Pie Bars
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Minimal Baking Time: We only need to bake the bottom crust for this pie, and you can do this part ahead of time if you want to. Its great for summer, because I can make the pie in the evening when its less hot and then let the pie set in the fridge overnight.
- Shortcut! Were using strawberry flavored Jell-O rather than making our own strawberry flavored gelatine. I find this to be super simple and makes the whole pie much easier to put together.
- 6 Ingredients: You dont need a lot of things to make this strawberry pie. Aside from the strawberries, you might even have the rest of the ingredients in your pantry.
How To Make A Fresh Strawberry Pie With Jello
I did attempt a homemade crust but I failed yet again. I WILL conquer homemade crust!! I just have to keep trying. You could certainly use a premade graham cracker crust pie shell to make this a true no-bake pie.
Also, the next time I make this pie I am going to cut the strawberries smaller for easier eating.
Prepare the pie crust as directed. Set aside.
Clean & trim strawberries. You might want to at least cut the strawberries in half. I think it will make slicing and eating the pie much easier.
Arrange the strawberries in the pie crust.
In a saucepan over medium heat combine water, sugar, and cornstarch. Boil until clear and completely dissolved.
Remove from heat and add the strawberry jello powder. The jello helps enhance the strawberry flavor!
Pour the mixture evenly over all the strawberries.
Refrigerate the pie until set.
Serve the fresh strawberry pie with fresh cold whipped cream or cool whip!
This is sure to be one of your favorite desserts.
Check out our Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes!
You May Like: Pie Company Traverse City Michigan
Fresh Strawberry Pie Without Jell
This simple dessert recipe is made with only delicious natural flavor from actual strawberries. I dont have anything against Jell-O , but when its so simple and easy to make a homemade pie with plenty of strawberries drenched in a thick, sweet glaze from scratch, Im more than happy to save my box of Jell-O for some other use.
This fresh strawberry pie may have been made famous by restaurants like Shoneys or Frischs Big Boy they certainly are well-known for this beloved dessert that only comes around certain times of the year. The seasonal spring or summer strawberries make all the difference and you just cant get the same results with frozen berries.
And if you are new to making your own homemade pie crust, be sure to check out my video tutorial on YouTube where I show you how!
More Summer Pies Youll Love
Kellie is the creator of The Suburban Soapbox, a food and lifestyle blog. A busy mom of two and former marketing manager, she created her website as a way to share recipes and household DIY tricks with her corporate coworkers. Kellie is always on a quest to consistently create the fastest, tastiest dinners that every family will love, even the pickiest of eaters. Her recipes are fool-proof and suitable for quick weeknight dinners and easy entertaining.
A lover of travel, wine, butter, chocolate and cheese , Kellie finds inspiration for her food creations just about everywhere she turns.
Also Check: Quick And Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Step : Make The Strawberry Glaze
- Puree strawberries. Set aside 1 ½ cups of the least attractive strawberries and add them to your blender along with some water. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Thicken glaze. Add puree to a small saucepan along with cornstarch, sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened to about the consistency of spreadable jam.
- Chill glaze. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in Jell-O and lemon juice. Cool to room temperature. Set aside.
How To Make Shoney’s Strawberry Pie:
Pre-bake pie crust according to directions on package. Cool to room temperature. If using my WHAM BAM PIE CRUST, prepare as directed, prick the inside of the pie crust all over and bake at 400F degrees for about 10-15 minutes, then allow to cool. Wash and hull strawberries. Then cut them in half
I like to put the sauce pan into my sink where I’ve made some ice water.
This will cool the glaze quickly and allow it to set up a bit more. As the glaze cools it will become translucent in color and you should notice it will thicken a little more as well. Whisk occasionally as it cools. It will be thickened but still pourable. Add your sliced berries to the baked and cooled pie crust. Pour strawberry glaze over berries. Making sure to get it in between the nooks & crannies of the berries as best you can.
Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
When ready to serve, dollop each slice with some whipped cream.
You May Like: What Do You Need To Make Apple Pie
What Crust Goes Best With Strawberry Pie Filling
Traditionally I think you see pastry crusts with strawberry pie, but you can really use any pie crust recipe.
If youre using a pastry crust, youll want to blind bake it before filling.
You can also use a store-bought crust, I wont tell.
Fresh Strawberry Pie With Jello
Robin Gagnon | 01/01/2021
This super easy strawberry pie with jello is a perfect early summer go-to dessert. It is simple to make and sure to please family and guests. With all the deals on fresh in-season strawberries, it won’t even cost much to make this fresh strawberry pie recipe. One of the best pies ever!
The simple dessert would also be nice to make with the kids after a day of berry picking. Strawberry Jello Pie is easy enough for many kids to do a lot of the preparation themselves. They will enjoy the fruits of their labor even more when they participate in making the dessert.
Recommended Reading: Does Aldi Sell Pie Crust
Tips For Making Baking And Storing A Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Are you scared of making pastry? Its not a problem. You can still make this fresh strawberry pie using a premade crust. For something a bit different but delicious, try a simple Saltine cracker crust.
- Avoid a soggy bottom. Keeping the bottom crust from getting too wet can be frustrating. Try lightly coating the inside of the unbaked crust with a beaten egg and placing the pie tin on a preheated baking sheet.
- Store the pie in the fridge for up to five days. Keep the pie in the pie pan on the counter until it cools completely. Wrap it lightly with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
Get all of our fresh recipes by friending us on !
How To Make The Best Strawberry Pie
Looking for a simple and humble pie? Youve found it. Its filled with fresh, sweet strawberries coated in a light strawberry glaze. A glaze thats just thick enough to hold the strawberries together, but just loose enough so a couple stray strawberries fall out out onto the plate. Its not perfect we love that. Not to mention, those stray strawberries are perfect for swiping through some lightly whipped cream.
This pie is a breeze to make. There are two parts to this recipe the pie shell and the strawberry filling.
You May Like: Who Pays The Most Taxes Pie Chart
Why You’ll Love Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Fresh summer produce = the best pies. Summer is the best season because it means the farms are packed with fresh summer produce like strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and cherries. And the best way to put those delicious fruit to use is in a summer fruit pie. Some other delicious summertime pies to try this year are Lattice Top Blueberry Pie, Cherry Pie, and Peach Cobbler.
- Quick and easy. This recipe is really easy to make. It involves pre-baking the pie crust, then making a delicious fresh strawberry filling and pouring it in. Chill in the refrigerator until set, and then serve. Don’t forget the whipping cream for a cool touch.
- Made without jello or gelatin. Many fresh strawberry pies are made with jello or gelatin to help bind the filling together. We bind the filling here together with a strawberry glaze made from scratch using the strawberries themselves and a little cornstarch to thicken it all up.
Step : Make The Crust
- Make the pastry dough according to these recipe instructions.
- Chill dough. Press the dough into an 8-inch disc, cover in plastic wrap, and let chill for at least 2 hours.
- Make pie shell. Once the dough has had time to chill, roll it out into a 12-inch circle. Gently transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate and press into the plate. Flute the edges as desired.
You May Like: Sweetie Pie Tea For Sale Online
What Kind Of Strawberries Are Best To Use
As stated above, always try using ripe once, as they are the sweetest and most flavorful. Also, try going with organic once, as they are healthier and contain less if any pesticides.
It is best to buy them when in season, as they are quite cheap, and you can make a larger batch of them, and simply store them for later.
Why Is My Strawberry Pie Runny
You should not have any problems with the strawberry pie being runny using this recipe but you must follow the recipe. The amount of cornstarch in the recipe will create a thick glaze after simmering and be thickened further by adding Jell-O. Once you add the strawberries and chill the pie, the filling will set, but the glaze should still be loose enough that the strawberries dont stick together.
To ensure your filling isnt runny, here are a few tips:
- Take care to fully dissolve the cornstarch in the strawberry puree before you bring the mixture to a simmer, otherwise, it will clump and not activate properly.
- Be sure to let the filling come to a full boil before turning down to a simmer in order to fully activate the thickening power of the cornstarch.
- Cook until the filling looks thick. The thicker the glaze is, the less runny the filling will be. Cooking the mixture thoroughly will also reduce the liquid, making a thicker filling.
- You MUST let the filling cool completely before adding the strawberries. If its warm, itll will start to cook the berries, causing them to release moisture, which will make the filling runny, weepy, or not set up.
- Once the strawberry pie is assembled, make sure to let it chill in the refrigerator for a full three hours to let the filling completely set before slicing.
Also Check: Where To Buy Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Pie