Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: This recipe is meant to be eaten immediately however, you can keep it warm in the oven at low temperatures for up to 1 hour before serving.
How to Reheat: If you are reheating the entire pie, place it in the oven at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until warmed. When you are heating up a single portion, I recommend warming in the microwave.
How to Store: Cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This will freeze covered for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
If you do not have a deep 10 pie dish, please feel free to use a 13×9 casserole dish.
When using a regular 9 pie tin, reduce the recipe by one-half.
Other ingredients you could add to the filling include peas, corn, and root vegetables
If you cant find Dubliner cheese then you can substitute for gruyere or your favorite white cheddar cheese.
How To Make Shepherds Pie From Scratch
Follow these simple instructions for making this amazing shepherds pie recipe:
In a large pan over medium heat with oil sauté the vegetables until cooked and lightly browned.
Add in the lamb and cook until lightly browned and cooked throughout.
Mix in tomato paste and then flour to create a roux.
Pour in some beef stock and then finish the lamb filling with herbs, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
Boil some potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until cooked.
Mash the potatoes with different fats and cheese and set them aside.
Assemble by placing the lamb filling to a bottom of a pie dish or 13×9 casserole dish.
Top off with mashed potatoes and bake until browned.
What To Serve With Shepherds Pie
I usually serve some vegetables alongside shepherd’s pie or some Yorkshire Puddings. I often keep Yorkshire puddings in the freezer then just pop them in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of baking the pie.
Recommended Reading: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
How To Make The Filling
Whats The Difference Between Cottage Pie And Shepherds Pie
The difference between both of these pies is the protein. While most Americans think they are eating Shepherds pie, they are actually eating Cottage pie. Here are the proteins:
- Cottage Pie Beef with sliced potatoes on top, similar to scalloped potatoes.
- Shepherds Pie Lamb with mashed potatoes.
Read Also: Kermits Key Lime Pie Recipe
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 375F. Peel and quarter the potatoes and boil until tender. In a skillet, sauté the onion. Add in the ground beef and brown it.
Stir in the Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and flour, and cook until incorporated, stirring constantly. Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and salt, and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let it thicken.
In a small saucepan, heat the cream, butter, garlic, and salt & pepper and warm it over medium heat until the butter has melted. Drain the potatoes, and add the cream mixture over top. Mash well.
Add in the frozen mixed vegetables to the skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes. Transfer the meat and veggie mixture to a 9×13 casserole dish and spread evenly with a spatula.
Add the mashed potatoes over top in a uniform layer. Use a fork to rake the mashed potatoes for texture. Bake and enjoy!
Can I Make Shepherds Pie In Advance
Yes it can be made in advance but keep in mind you wont want to store it in the cast iron pan as it will cause rusting, instead:
- Assemble the pie in a baking dish or casserole dish.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- The following day remove from the fridge while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered with foil about 25 30 minutes until heated through, then broil closer to broiler element to brown the topping.
Don’t Miss: Peach Cobbler With Frozen Pie Crust
Can You Freeze Shepherds Pie
A Shepherds Pie is the perfect make ahead food.
Once your pie is assembled you can chill and then freeze for up to one month. It can also be cooked from frozen. To bake from frozen, cook at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if needed.)
If not freezing, you could also keep in the fridge 2 days before cooking.
How Do You Make Shepherds Pie From Scratch
To make this recipe for Shepherds pie with ground beef, you start out by making the meat filling. Combine all the ingredients for that and simmer together. Once its ready, you can get the oven pre-heated. Then youll make your mashed potatoes. After you have them ready, you can assemble this casserole in a baking dish with the meat mixture on the bottom and the mashed potatoes on top. Bake it uncovered for 30 minutes, let it cool for about 15 minutes, and then serve.
Recommended Reading: The Profit Key Lime Pie
Tips & Tricks For Best Shepherds Pie
- Peel potatoes first for best consistency. If you dont mind a little peel in your mashed potatoes, you can cook them unpeeled too.
- Serve hot. Shepherds pie taste bests when its fresh from the oven.
- Top with cheese. You can make this without cheese if you like, but I cant resist a layer of melty cheesy goodness over the potatoes. The cheese also helps the potatoes brown nicely in the oven.
- Serve with chives. The pop of fresh flavor makes eating shepherds pie even better.
How To Freeze Shepherd’s Pie
Cool and cover the baked shepherd’s pie loosely with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer for two to three hours, or until its fairly firm. Remove the frozen pie and cover it firmly with plastic wrap. Place a large piece of aluminum foil on the counter. Set the baking dish on top. Bring the sides of the foil up and over the pie. Crimp or fold the edges all around to firmly seal the pie in the foil.
When ready to serve the shepherd’s pie, take the casserole from the freezer and remove the foil and the plastic wrap. Use the foil you just removed to loosely cover the pie. Make sure that your casserole dish can go straight from freezer to oven if not, set the casserole in the oven while the oven preheats so that the dish warms slowly.
Bake the casserole for an hour, or until the pie is hot all the way through. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow the top to brown. To shorten the baking time to 40 to 45 minutes, defrost it in the refrigerator one day before you plan to bake it.
Don’t Miss: Mermaid Cupcakes Denver
What Is Shepherds Pie
Shepherds Pie is a delicious combo of ground lamb that has been cooked with carrots, sweet green peas and corn in a gravy or sauce. The lamb mixture is then topped with a crust of creamy mashed potatoes.
This casserole traditionally made with ground lamb. Many people make this recipe with ground beef however, if you use ground beef its actually called Cottage Pie! .Either way, this crustless meat pie is topped creamy mashed potatoes and baked until bubbly.
Do you put cheese on top of Shepherds Pie? Traditionally, a Shepherds Pie is not topped with cheese, but as you all know, cheese is my love language. You can add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top of the mashed potatoes or just brush them with a little bit of butter before baking.
To Assemble A Shepherds Pie
Pro Tip: Shepherds Pie can be made ahead which is perfect for the holidays or busy weeknights. See the Make-ahead section below for tips on refrigerating or freezing the pie.
Don’t Miss: Shabazz Bean Pie Recipe
Can I Make Shepherd’s Pie Ahead Of Time
- Absolutely! Simply assemble it up to the baking step, cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to heat it up, you may need to increase the baking time since it will be cold. Try baking it covered with foil for the first 30 minutes, uncover and bake for 20 more, and then broil if desired.
- If cooking from frozen, let the baking dish warm up a bit on the counter so that it doesn’t break. Or use these disposable foil baking pans!
How To Make A Single Serving Shepherd’s Pie
See the recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
Recommended Reading: Key West Key Lime Pie The Profit
What Is Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is a meat pie with a potato topping. Traditionally Shepherd’s Pie is made with Ground Lamb and Cottage Pie is made with Ground Beef. But I find that most people don’t really know of Cottage Pie.
I used to work at a British pub and this was the number one question. As well as what is black pudding! LOL
Assemble The Shepherd’s Pie In A Baking Dish
There are still a few more things you will need to add to the skillet. Begin with the tomato paste, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine with the meat and veggies. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Next, add in the frozen corn and peas. Then, you can transfer the ground beef and vegetable mixture into a baking dish. Put the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef and smooth them out in an even layer.
Read Also: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Arkansas
Say Hi To Coco Morante
One last treat for all you readers out there: I thought it would be fun for you to get to know Coco a little more. Here’s a quick Q& A with the author herself!
1. How many Instant Pots do you own?
Right now, four. I’ve also given some to friends and family as I’ve upgraded or received new units for review. Currently I have two 6-quart models , as well as 3-quart and 8-quart pots.
2. Whats one recipe from this book that you really want people to try and fall in love with?
Cincinnati Chili . I adapted the recipe from a stovetop version shared with me by my friend Diana Pray. It’s full of spices, including a healthy dose of cinnamon — the Midwestern-meets-Greek flavor is so unique and delicious. You have to try it !
3. What three recipes from this book are best if you just got your first Instant Pot?
Risotto , because it’s so easy you won’t believe it. Split Pea Soup , because it tastes like my grandma’s did — I’m transported back to her kitchen when I eat a bowl. And Succotash — most all the ingredients come from the pantry or freezer, so you can make a hearty, nutritious vegetable side dish any time. Those are all really straightforward recipes that don’t require you to buy additional accessories, so you can make them right when you take your Instant Pot out of the box.
4. Latest food obsession?
5. Three ingredients that are always in your pantry?
Nutritional yeast, almond flour, and San Marzano-style canned tomatoes.
7. What are you working on now?
What To Serve With It
- In England, HP Sauce or brown sauce is often served with shepherd’s pie. It’s got tomatoes and tamarind and an addictive tangy taste!
- Shepherd’s pie also pairs well with a side salad. Try this parmesan arugula salad or some mixed greens with this Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
- It’s also fantastic on its own or with a slice of crusty bread.
Read Also: Popeyes Apple Pie Recipe
Tips To Save You Time
This recipe takes a little more time than the average weeknight meal, but its so worth it. Here are a few tips to save you some time and energy.
- Use a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce: Instead of a roux , I mix the flour and butter in a bowl and whisk it into the sauce to save on cooking time. This is known as beurre manié in French cuisine. Also, I always think its easier to clean a small bowl than a pot!
- Choose large potatoes: Im not a fan of peeling potatoes, but the larger they are, the fewer there are to peel! And the less time I need to spend doing it. If you dont mind the skins, you could skip the peeling altogether, but thats an aesthetic choice. It doesnt affect the overall taste, but perhaps the potatoes wont be quite so melt-in-your-mouth creamy.
- Buy grated cheese: Usually, I like to grate my own cheese because packaged cheese often has added cellulose to keep the shreds from clumping. That said, there are brands that have only a few additives, and I find skipping this one step just moves things along faster.