Can You Reheat A Frozen Pot Pie
Frozen pies should be frozen before heating, so use a rapid method. Pies will be delicious as soon as they are in the oven on a microwave-safe plate. You can adjust your temperature by pressing the crisping button on the bottom of the tray. If you have to vent your pie, cut a small slit in the middle and let it breathe. For a large pie, let it sit for 3 to 4 minutes.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Frozen Vegetables
Serve and enjoy!
Also Check: Easy Bean Pie Recipe
A Thick And Creamy Filling
The ideal consistency of your filling when you’re cooking it on the stovetop and before going into the pot pies should be creamy and thickened. It will thicken a little more in the oven as the pot pies bake, so at this point, you want it to be slightly less thick than the finished dish.
If at this point your filling seems soupy, like heavy cream, let it simmer until it thickens up enough coat the back of a wooden spoon. If it seems like it’s not thickening up as fast as you like, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the sauce, whisk in a tablespoon or two of flour until no more lumps remain, and then whisk this mixture into the skillet.
If it seems like the filling thickened up too much and it starting to seem stiff, then whisk in a little broth or water to thin it out again.
Can I Make Pie Ahead Of Time
The filling can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Keep it covered, then add it to the pie crust and bake as directed when ready. If you are making pie dough from scratch, you can make it four days ahead of time. You can store pie crust in the freezer for even longer. Just be sure to keep it tightly wrapped. You can see my Pie Crust Recipe post for more information!
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Review
Assembling A Double Crust Pie
When the dough is ready, youll roll out the bottom crust, lay it in the pie dish, and add your filling. Then, roll out the top pie crust and cover your pot pie with it, bring the bottom crust up and over the top, pinching the two together to enclose. For an extra golden crust and a special touch, brush the pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
Once baked, it will be perfectly golden, flaky and buttery, and the perfect addition to the best chicken pot pie recipe.
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
Also Check: Campbells Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Pie crust while you can use store-bought pie crust, I love using my homemade pie crust. Its so buttery and flakey! Either way, make sure to thaw the crusts before using them so they can roll out easily.
Chicken if you do not have a leftover roast chicken, you can buy a rotisserie chicken to shred.
Chicken broth use low sodium chicken broth so that your pot pie does not come out too salty. If you only have regular chicken broth, you should decrease the salt added to the filling.
Flour dont skip the flour! The flour will help thicken your filling and provide a rich, hearty flavor. You can use whatever flour you have on hand.
How To Save More
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. For instance, when I see a great price on veggies or chicken stock, Ill buy lots of them and plan my meals around them. You can also buy certain items in bulk, to save even more money!
- Use a whole chicken! Cooking a whole chicken can be more economical than buying chicken pieces. Plus, you can use the carcass to make homemade stock.
- Use up leftovers. It doesnt matter what kind of veggies you throw in. They add great flavor and nothing goes to waste. Feel free to adapt this basic pie recipes to use whatever meats or veggies you have on hand.
- Use your freezer! You can freeze most of these ingredients, like the chicken, fresh herbs , gravy, and the pie crust to have on hand so you can whip this up whenever you need to.
Recommended Reading: Best Bean Pie Recipe
Ingredients To Make Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound of chicken cut into little 1 chunks
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 small white onion minced
- frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil *pan frying chicken
- salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder for taste for chicken
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper for gravy
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 pie crusts *I use store-bought
How Do You Make Trader Joes Chicken Pot Pie
To microwave, you first pull the tab on the side of the special microwave box. Next, you fold the bottom flap of the open end under the box, leaving the pie inside. Then, you place the open box, with the pie, into the microwave, heating for 11-13 minutes or until the filling is hot and the crust is browned.
Also Check: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pies
How Long To Bake Chicken Pot Pie
All of the ingredients inside the pot pie are already cooked, so the only thing we are concerned with at this point is the pie crust.
The crust should be fully baked with 45-50 minutes. If the top crust should start to look golden brown before the time is up, simply cover the edges with either a pie shield or with aluminum foil and continue cooking for the allotted amount of time.
There is nothing like a made-from-scratch chicken pot pie. Especially one enveloped in a buttery, flaky, homemade pie crust, decked out with perfectly cooked chicken and vegetables, all smothered in a to-die-for chicken gravy. Please, enjoy!
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie
The Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
NOTE: You can bake both pies, or cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. To use frozen potpie, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover pie loosely with foil. Place on a baking sheet. Pre heat oven to 375-degree F and bake until lightly browned and bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes. Oven times will vary.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on a FUN new meal or idea and to have my posts sent right to your inbox! Its EASY PEASY! Just and enter your email!XOCorey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on , , and for all of the latest updates.
What Is The Best Way To Reheat Leftover Chicken Pot Pie
Whenever chicken pot pie is nearing the end of its cooking life, cover it with foil and warm it in a heated oven over 300F for 15-20 minutes, repeating the process every 10 minutes until the temperature drops. It is also possible to bake pie by air fryer or on the stove, and microwave it for another 15 minutes.
Read Also: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How To Make Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Shared by Amy Desrosiers | Updated on
Lets make a Creamy Chicken Pot Pie for dinner tonight using frozen pie crust as a quick and easy way to enclose the delicious and fresh chicken pot pie filling. This chicken pot pie recipe will have your family coming back for leftovers!
Now that the Fall season is right upon us, I have been trading my grilling recipes for more oven baked meals. Call me crazy but when the time permits, I love spending time in my kitchen preparing ingredients for hearty meals. Creamy chicken pot pie is a meal that has only recently been added to my rotating meal schedule because I finally perfected a delicious rendition of it.
Yes, I do use Pillsbury frozen crust for my chicken pot pie recipe, but everything else is prepared, chopped, diced, and cooked by me.
Most chicken pot pie recipes call for boiled chicken meat, but I am totally not into that! I love to an fry my chicken tender pieces with lots of spices to make them flavorful. No one wants a boring pie with bland flavors so this helps spruce it up!
I cut my own carrots, celery, and onion fresh, but do add in frozen peas. I cooked them in a shallow pot of water with butter to keep them flavored and fork-tender before adding in my flour, and broth.
I find cooking my veggies give the pie an even better flavor, and keeps the veggies in tact and not mushy.
I used my largest Pyrex glass pie plate which worked out well and kept the crust from over browning.
Tips For The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- You can use a 2-quart casserole dish or deep-dish pie plate to bake your pot pie, or you can use a 2-quart oven-safe skillet. Using the oven-safe cast iron skillet cuts down on the dishes because the pot pie becomes a one-pot meal!
- Do not thaw the frozen peas before adding them to the filling. This helps them stay bright green, rather than turning brown and mushy after baking.
- Vent the pot pie by cutting slits in the top of the crust. This will allow steam to escape, keep most of the filling sealed inside, and prevent the crust from getting soggy.
- Let the pot pie rest for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. This gives the filling time to set so that it’s not as messy when you cut into it.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie Company Net Worth
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
If you are looking for an old fashioned, traditional chicken pot pie, made from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust, this is it!
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as “Mrs. Hering’s Chicken Pot Pie” in the , from the famed Chicago . First introduced to customers in 1890, it was this Marshall’s chicken pot pie that launched the dish into our national consciousness.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- If you don’t want to use the store-bought pie crust, you can prepare your own homemade pie crust to use with this recipe.
- Top the pot piewith puff pastry instead of pie crust by following these instructions.
- For an old fashioned chicken pot pie with a double crust , follow these instructions.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add different vegetables to the filling, such as frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn kernels, or crisp-tender steamed broccoli.
- Season the filling with fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash for an even deeper brown color and a bit of shine.
- Turn this recipe into individual chicken pot pies! You can divide the filling evenly among individual ramekins or oven-proof bowls and cut the pie crust to fit over each smaller dish. You may need to use 2 pie crusts, since you are cutting the dough and will likely have some waste from the scraps. The baking time will remain about the same.
You May Like: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update