The Best Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Best Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe An easy chocolate chip cookie recipe made in minutes. These are the best homemade chocolate chip cookies ever!
Theres nothing better than chocolate chip cookies from scratch! A warm, fresh chocolate chip cookie with a big glass of milk is comfort food at its finest.
Ive tried a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years. I keep finding that many of the recipes have at least one long wait time. They require you to either wait a couple of hours to bring the butter and eggs to room temperature, or wait for the dough to chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Sometimes both.
Im too impatient! I want to be able to relax on my couch and suddenly decide I need some homemade, soft, and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Then, have them baking in the oven in just a few minutes!
To Assemble A Shepherds Pie
Pro Tip: Shepherds Pie can be made ahead which is perfect for the holidays or busy weeknights. See the Make-ahead section below for tips on refrigerating or freezing the pie.
Shepherds Pie Vs Cottage Pie
When Shepherds Pie first originated, it was made with lamb. It has since evolved, especially in America, to include a variety of red meats . Per Wikipedia:
Shepherds pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are ground red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked
Also Check: Betty Crocker Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What To Serve With Shepherds Pie:
Youre welcome to serve this shepherds pie with extra gravy on the side, if you would like. Otherwise, we enjoyed ours with:
- A simple side salad: Such as my Everyday Salad recipe.
- A loaf of crusty bread: If youre interested in more carbs. )
- Corn on the cob: A simple and colorful side dish.
- A nice cold Guinness: Cheers!
Happy early St. Patricks Day, everyone! Hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 cup whole milk, or more as needed
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
Main Dish Recipe Index
Browse main dish recipes that are tried and tested. From meatloaf to chili to chicken recipes. These are great options for the busy family any day of the week!
Check out these great entree recipes.
Hi, Im Amanda Finks
Im a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist living in Zionsville, IN. Im an avid cook, travel nerd, & lover of good food! Im trained in Food Science & recipe development. Its my mission to bring you the BEST recipes your whole family will love! See More.
Don’t Miss: Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake
How This Pie Is Different From Traditional Shepherds Pie
The shepherds pie of my upbringing features a hefty portion of meat, with vegetables playing a supporting role, and a thick topping of buttery mashed potatoes. My updated version bumps up the ratio of vegetables to meat and calls for extra-lean ground beef, which is the leanest option in the butcher case.
For the mashed potatoes, the recipe swaps in olive oil for butter, which means more heart-healthy fats in every bite. The sum total of these swaps is a lighter dish with no shortcuts on flavor.
Quick Answer: What To Serve With Shepherds Pie
The most spectacular side dishes that you can serve next to Shepherds Pie are- Corn Salad, Glazed Carrots, Roasted Asparagus, Dinner Rolls, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad, Roasted Cauliflower, Irish Soda Bread, Lemon Artichokes, Mushy Peas and Parsnip Puree.
In this post, we are going to list the most spectacular side dishes that you can serve with Shepherds Pie, a classic comfort food.
I have personally tried my hand at these recipes and these healthy and scrumptious sides are sure to complement the smoky flavor and intense richness of your Shepherds Pie.
Lets get to the recipes without any further ado!
Total calories 120Total preparation time 15 min
This corn salad side is so easy to get together with no cooking involved!
Packed with diverse flavors and interesting textures coming from fresh corn kernels, succulent tomatoes and red onions, the salad is dressed in a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
When ready to serve, sprinkle some crumbled feta and garnish with basil. Scrumptious and savory!
Check out a super quick recipe by The Stay At Home Chef:
Also Check: Weight Watchers Chicken Pot Pie Bisquick
How Long To Boil Eggs For Deviled Eggs:
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Place the pot over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. This can take between 7-12 minutes, depending on the size of your pot and how much water you use. To speed things up, I use hot tap water and keep the lid on the pot until the water is boiling.
- Carefully and gently add the desired amount of large eggs to the boiling water. A mesh strainer works well for gently lowering more than one egg at a time into the hot water.
- Boil the eggs for 13-14 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary so that the water doesnt boil over.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Drain the hot water from the pot while keeping the eggs in the pot. You could use the lid of the pot or a strainer to help keep the eggs in the pot as you drain the hot water.
- Add cold water to the pot until the eggs are covered in cold water. Pour that water out. Repeat with more cold water.
- Add 2 cups of ice to the pot. Gently stir the eggs. If the ice melts, add more until the water stays ice cold.
- Let the eggs rest in the ice cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the cold water. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week until you are ready to use them.
- Gently crack the egg shells and peel the eggs.
How To Freeze Healthy Shepherds Pie
Once the shepherds pie is baked, cool completely and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer until fairly firm, about two hours. Then, cover tightly with plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Mark the date on the outside and store in the freezer for up to two months.
When ready to serve, remove the foil and plastic wrap. Use the foil you just removed to loosely cover the pie. Make sure that your casserole dish can go straight from freezer to oven if not, set the casserole in the oven while the oven preheats so that the dish warms slowly.
Bake the casserole for an hour, or until the pie is hot all the way through. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow the top to brown.
You May Like: Chicken Pot Pie Campbell’s Soup Recipe
Whats The Difference Between Shepherds Pie And Cottage Pie
Its all in the meat. Shepherds pie contains minced lamb .
Whereas Cottage Pie contains mince beef .
Whilst we are getting our pie names sorted out Cumberland Pie refers to any type of meat pie topped with mashed potatoes and then a layer of bread crumbs. Whilst not strictly traditional a sprinkling of grated cheese over your mashed potato on both a Shepherds and Cottage Pie is delicious.
How To Make Deviled Eggs:
- Cut the hard boiled eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Pop out the yolks and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the yolks with the back of a fork until no large clumps remain.
- Add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, and pepper to the bowl. Mix it together.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a plastic food storage bag.
- Squeeze and roll the bag around in your fingers until the yolk mixture is completely smooth.
- Cut one corner off of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Pipe the yolk mixture into the holes of the egg whites.
- Serve cold.
Also Check: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie
How To Master Shepherd’s Pie: It’s About The Layers And Seasoning
Well, it’s pert near March 17th again. And you know what that means. Paddy’s Day.
Now, no doubt some of you crazies enjoy the madness: pubfuls of shrieking partyers, clad in their emerald finest, storming the bar like famished zombies at an all-you-can-eat brain buffet.
For the shyer among you, though, those who prefer a warm bath and the soothing strains of Mantovani to a sweat-soaked, deafening dance floor, perhaps I could suggest acknowledging the saint over a quiet meal with friends: A nice pint of Guinness and steaming plates of shepherd’s pie.
Why you need to learn this
If you’re anything like me, you’re not as young as you used to be. Even if you’ve always loved St. Patrick’s Day, you may no longer feel like diving into the inevitable, green beer-fueled fray. Trust me, shepherd’s pie is easy in concept and execution. Best of all, once you understand the basics, you’ll be able to concoct a gajillion variations.
The steps you take
Though shepherd’s pie is common across the British Isles, it’s particularly associated with Ireland. One of the world’s great comfort foods, it consists of three layers: creamy mashed potatoes slathered atop well-sauced and seasoned ground meat with a bottom layer of perfectly cooked vegetables.
Regardless of the flavor profile, be sure it’s seasoned properly. And by this, regular Prep Schoolers will know that we’re talking salt.
Cook: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
Vegetable oil as needed
2 cloves garlic, minced
Classic Shepherds Pie Recipe
This homemade Shepherds Pie is filled with seasoned ground beef, peas, carrots, simmered in a delicious gravy and topped with fluffy mashed potatoes. Beef Shepherds Pie is also freezer friendly.
Old-Fashioned Cottage Pie is made with ground beef, savory gravy, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. Its an economical meal that is also freezer-friendly. This comfort food is filling and affordable to create.
Don’t Miss: The Profit Key Lime Pie Update
Beet & Goat Cheese Salad With White Wine Vinegar Dressing
A great salad is one of the best things to go with your shepherds pie!
The crisp textures and delightful tangy flavors are a marvelous contrast to the richness from your main dish.
Beets are a rustic ingredient that are perfect for this time of year and they really pair beautifully with goat cheese.
You could simply toss a bed of greens with beets and goat cheese and call it a day, but why stop there?
Check out this recipe below: She uses roasted beets, granny smith apples, pecans, and goat cheese for an epic combination of texture and sweetness with a tangy white wine vinegar dressing.
We are in love with this salad by Lacey at A Sweet Pea Chef.
How To Store Shepherds Pie
This easy shepherds pie recipe makes such good left overs. I love how all the flavors in the beef filling marinate and taste amazing the next day. When storing it in the fridge. Make sure to completely cover the the dish with plastic wrap. To try and form a air tight seal. The leftovers will keep for up to three days. If you plan on keeping it longer that that. Freeze the portions immediately that you are not going to use with in 3 days.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Pot Pies
Origin Of Shepherds Pie
The mashed potato pie enjoyed all over the world originated in the United Kingdom in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Just like a lot of us today, home cooks back then were having a hard time getting their spouses and kids to eat leftovers.
These home chefs got creative, and soon there were different recipes being made and shared widely. While theres no one way to make shepherds pie, some components are fairly consistent among recipe variations. The meal almost always consists of a mashed potato base and topping with a minced meat filling, usually beef. A tweaked version, called Cottage Pie, has mutton or lamb in the middle. The meat simmers in gravy and vegetables carrots, celery, and peas.
Tips And Tricks For Making Shepherds Pie:
- This is an easy dish to stick more vegetables in if you have them. Sometimes Ill even double the amount of frozen vegetables called for, and it still turns out great. That being said, you can use other veggies that you like. I love green beans in this, too.
- That cheesy potato topping is so good! Feel free to mix and match cheeses with your preferences.
- Feel free to swap out the ground beef with more traditional ground lamb or even ground chicken or turkey. It all works well with this recipe.
- I think everyone needs a pretty speckled enamel pan. It just makes dinner more fun.
Also Check: How To Make Bean Pies
Shepherds Pie With Sweet Potato Topping
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 sheets refrigerated pie crust
How To Make This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe
- Preheat Preheat oven to 400 Degrees and coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Then set aside.
- Saute First, you will need to saute the yellow onion in the olive oil until they become golden brown. Then add the ground beef and break it apart.
- Cook Beef Next, add parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes Stirring occasionally until meat is completely brown.
- Saute Garlic Then, add the garlic and let it cook for about 1 minute or until it is golden brown. Next, add the Worcestershire sauce and stir until fully incorporated.
- Thickener Add flour and ketchup to the ground beef mixture. Mix until the flour make a nice creamy roux.
- Add Veggies The final step of the ground beef filling is to add the beef broth, frozen peas, carrots and corn kernels. Cook until the beef broth comes to a boil. Then, reduce heat and let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add To Baking Dish Last, spread out the ground beef filling in a 13 x 9 baking dish. Make sure to spread it evenly and set aside.
Don’t Miss: American Pie Band Camp Free