Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
What Side Dishes Go With Chicken Pot Pie
Fortunately, chicken pot pie happens to contain all the essential components such as carbs, protein, veggies, fats which means that it can satisfyingly be served as a complete meal on its own. Nevertheless there is no harm in experimenting with other delectable options to serve alongside the main meal. When planning the side dishes for chicken pot pie, keep in mind that the flavours within the pie are enough to knock you off your feet, therefore the side dishes should contain mild flavours, to not overpower the main dish.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie Company Net Worth
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Theres nothing really ground breaking in this Chicken Pot Pie recipe, but there are two little things I do that is a bit different to the usual:
Poach chicken and use poaching liquid to make the creamy filling. Most recipes bake the chicken. I prefer poaching so I can use the poaching liquid which becomes infused with extra flavour from the chicken and
Parmesan in the creamy filling. Not for parmesan or cheesy flavour, for seasoning. If youre a regular reader, youll know that I use parmesan cheese regularly in recipes. Its because it adds salt as well as umami to recipes, just giving dishes an extra something-something that makes it so good!
Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
The Spruce Eats / Diana Rattray
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Our classic chicken pot pie is loaded with tender chunks of chicken and vegetables in a thick, creamy gravy. A double crust makes the chicken pie satisfying and fillingmake a homemade, buttery crust from scratch or make it even easier with convenient store-bought refrigerated crusts. Whichever option you choose, you will fall in love with this comforting pot pie.
Feel free to customize this pie to suit your family’s tastes. Add some celery or potatoes to the pie or cut back on the vegetables and add extra chicken. Or replace the fresh chicken breasts with leftover cooked chicken or turkey. Fresh herbs are another excellent option. Fresh or dried thyme is called for, but you may want to use a mixture of herbs. Chives, sage, and rosemary are some excellent alternatives.
Serve chicken pot pie with a salad or fresh vegetables on the side. Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers make an excellent side dish with the pie, or you might serve it with a mound of freshly made coleslaw. Or serve the chicken pie with a cooked vegetable, such as green beans with bacon, a simple dish of sautéed asparagus with lemon, or roasted Brussels sprouts.
Gather the ingredients.
Read Also: Entenmann Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
What Wine Goes With Chicken Pot Pie
The light cream sauce of chicken pot pie would be overwhelmed by heavier wines but it isnt light enough for crisp and acidic wines. The best wine pairing for the dish would have to be Chardonnay. It can match the flavor and heavy rich filling of the chicken pot pie.
Other possible wine pairings for the dish are Pouilly-Fuissé, a dry French chardonnay, and Chablis, also a dry but oaky French chardonnay.
What Kind Of Salad Goes With Tourtire
Serve tourtière with Something with Veggies. roasted carrots. roasted beets. roasted tomatoes. glazed carrots. pea soup. roasted Brussels sprouts. Something Pickled. pickled beets. butter pickles. pickled vegetables. mustard pickle. chow-chow. Just Salads. garden salad. fennel salad. Something Fruity. apple crisp. pear crisp.
Read Also: Churchs Chicken Apple Pie
How Do You Eat A Pot Pie
It was just recently found out that people have been eating chicken pot pie the wrong way. It turns out that the dish should be eaten by flipping it upside down before eating it to get the perfect crust-to-filling ratio. This is especially true for pies sitting in aluminum shells.
People usually just scoop the pot pie with a fork. This method creates an uneven ratio of crust and filling. This means you either get more filling than the crust, or you get too much crust and get a very dry pie bite.
If you flip the pot pie and then put it on a plate, you will be able to slice the pie like you would a cake with the side of a fork. You will get a perfect bite of the dish which is when the creamy filling is sandwiched between the top and bottom crusts.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
If you are looking for an old fashioned, traditional chicken pot pie, made from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust, this is it!
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as “Mrs. Hering’s Chicken Pot Pie” in the , from the famed Chicago . First introduced to customers in 1890, it was this Marshall’s chicken pot pie that launched the dish into our national consciousness.
Also Check: Mermaid Cupcakes Denver
What Sides Go With Chicken Pot Pie
Every side dish that we have previously suggested is the perfect side to go with chicken pot pie. We divided our choices into four main categories: potatoes, vegetables, fruits, and bread. All our suggestions are classic. They are also comfort foods themselves, but their flavors will not overpower the chicken pot pie. Instead, they complement the dish for a well-rounded meal.
How To Make The Perfect Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Chicken pot pie will forever remain a comfort meal, with a delicious savoury filling consisting of juicy chicken, tender vegetables, and a thick creamy gravy enclosed in a double-layer of flaky pie crust.
Making your chicken pot pie crust requires no time at all, but time needed for the pastry to set is about 2 hours, so you could either prepare this the night before and refrigerate it, or give yourself a couple of hours in the day before you proceed with making the chicken pot pie.
To make the crust you should use either a pastry blender or food processor to whisk together flour, and salt, a chunk of cold butter and shortening, and then add a drizzle of ice cold water. Mix until a dough has formed then divide into 2 discs, with one being slightly larger than the other, and then transfer to the fridge to chill.
Recommended Reading: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie Bisquick
Meal Prep And Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: Fully assemble the entire dish and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before baking. On the day of serving, let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then follow the baking directions below.
- To Store: A fully cooked chicken pot pies will last for up to 3-4 days if stored in the refrigerator.
- To Freeze: Seal in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months either baked or unbaked. Freezing before cooking is ideal for the best crust texture.
- To Reheat: Cover the pot pie with foil and place in a 350°F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through. You may also microwave smaller portions.
How To Make Ahead And Freeze Unbaked Pot Pie
- To Freeze: Prepare the pot pie in a metal or foil pie pan, but do not add an egg wash. Wrap the pie tightly in foil and place it in the freezer.
- To Bake From Frozen: Cover the frozen pie with a sheet of foil and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes. Remove the foilapply an egg wash, if usingand continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- To Defrost, Then Bake: Place the frozen pie in the refrigerator and let it thaw for about 24 hours. Cover the pie with foil and bake it at 400 F for 20 minutes. Remove the foilapply an egg wash, if usingand continue to bake for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Recommended Reading: American Pie Band Camp Free
What Is Pot Pie
Pot pie is a North American term used for a type of meat pie with a top pie crust which consists of flaky pastry. Pot pies can be made with a variety of fillings such as, poultry, beef, seafood, or plant-based meat, and may also differ in the types of crust. Pot pie can be prepared in a variety of ways including in a skillet over a stovetop, in a baking dish in the oven, or in a pie iron over a campfire, now wouldnt that be an adventure? The pie shell and crust can be homemade, or fashioned from supermarket bought pie crust or biscuit dough and contains ingredients, such as butter, lard, olive oil, flour and shortening.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken With rotisserie chicken ready to go, youll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and youll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie Campbell’s Soup Recipe
Can You Eat Pot Pie
The food and dining review aggregator posted an eye-opening thread, informing pie fans: If youre eating a pot pie without flipping it over, youre doing it wrong. The perfect bite happens when the creamy, savory filling is sandwiched between both the top and bottom crust. Pot pie-lovers were blown away.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Recommended Reading: Popeyes Apple Pie Recipe
What Goes In Chicken Pot Pie
Heres what goes in Chicken Pot Pie. Nothing unusual here but just a couple of comments on some of the ingredients:
Stock powder this adds more flavour in the creamy white sauce. I like to use Vegeta which is a vegetable stock powder, but any stock powder will do vegetable or chicken
Parmesan adds umami rather than cheesiness into the sauce. If you dont have parmesan, use about 1 1/2 cups of your favourite cheese and
Peas are missing!
Theres no definitive way to make Chicken Pot Pie. While some choose to make it like a traditional pie with a pastry base and shortcrust topping in a pie dish, I have always and will always make Chicken Pot Pies in POTS with puff pastry lids.
Let me emphasise that in case you missed it I make Chicken POT Pie in POTS.
Truthfully though, the way I make it has nothing to do with the name. I make it in pots because its quickerand easier, and I love draping the pots generously with puff pastry so that the golden flaky lid is fitted tightly on top and around the pots, rather than just a round piece floating on top.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
Jan 23, 2022 | Other |
Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
Stuck on what to serve with chicken pot pie? From fresh salad to fried veggies there really is no incorrect dish to serve with this classic dish. Chicken pot pie has a delicious creamy filling, with a gorgeous flaky crust, you can choose between chicken or turkey as a filling, and a mixture of vegetables, this is an ultimate dish that can be enjoyed with your family on a cold winter night.
Also Check: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Pie Crust