How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Making the filling is simple and easy. But the chicken pot pie crust is waaay easier than you think it is.
You can either buy a frozen pastry crust at your local grocery store or do it from scratch using this 5-ingredient homemade pie crust. Both work fine, actually.
If you want to go the homemade route, you can make it ahead of time and put it in the freezer until ready to assemble your chicken pot pie.
My Favorite Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Its been so long since Ive eaten chicken pot pie, and Im pretty sure the last time I did the experience was underwhelming. I really had no intention of making it, but my daughter requested it, and seeing that I had all of the ingredients on hand in my kitchen, I took that as a sign. So, I went on a journey to create the most excellent chicken pot pie possible.
For such a simple and comforting meal, it involves many key fundamental culinary techniques, and they all need to be executed properly to achieve a fantastic end result.
There are many ways to go about chicken pot pie, but I found this way to be the most approachable for my busy lifestyle. And, I wouldnt change a thing about it! Seeing as how we devoured the entire thing in one sitting, my family was obviously more than pleased with the end result, which was so satisfying.
Lets break the recipe down into the different steps:
I had some random pieces of chicken in my freezer, so I ended up using a couple of boneless skinless chicken thighs as well as a few airline breasts . I personally prefer to use all dark meat because of the richer flavor, but I was happy to utilize the chicken from my freezer. As you can see, you can use any cut of chicken you like in this recipe. Anything works!
I roasted the chicken at a high heat in order to develop some color and most of all, flavor. Once the chicken was cool enough to handle, I used my hands to shred the meat into large bite-sized pieces.
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Believed to have originated in Greece, Greek pot pies were meat cooked in open pastry shells.
Eventually, the Romans borrowed and enhanced the recipe by adding a top to the pastry crust to enclose the meat pie. Thus, the birth of the pot pies that we have come to love these days.
They come in different variations, but this homemade chicken pot pie recipe got a remarkable thumbs up from the crowd.
I mean, how can you resist a pie filled with chunks of chicken, carrots, and peas in an easy, creamy highly-seasoned sauce? You just cant! You can hardly stop at one slice.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling. Classic comfort food!
This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. Its got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs.
I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. That was easy, but it really needed some bright fresh flavors.
So, instead of making the easiest recipe, I decided to make the BEST chicken pot pie recipe.
Using fresh vegetables and some fresh herbs in the filling gives this pot pie so much flavor that its ok to take a short-cut with the crust and use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust.
Of course, if you have the time to make your own homemade pie crust, that would be amazing too.
Tips And Tricks For Making The Perfect Pot Pie
- Whats my roux supposed to look like? Your roux, the flour and fat paste used to thicken the gravy, should be light in color and crumbly, but not dry. After adding the flour to the pan, the veggies should look like theyre coated in a crumbly, moist batter.
- How do I prevent lumps in my gravy? For a smooth gravy, add the chicken stock gradually about 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Add more stock only after the previous addition has been stirred smooth.
- What if my gravy is too thick or thin? Your gravy should coat the back of the spoon, but be thin enough for you to see through it.
- If your gravy is thin, whisk together a tablespoon of all-purpose flour and a tablespoon of cold water. Whisk this flour slurry into the simmering gravy to thicken it up to the proper consistency.
- If your gravy is thick like pudding, whisk in two to four tablespoons of chicken stock to thin it.
Read Also: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Ar
What Makes This Chicken Pot Pie Easy
My commitment to making this an easy chicken pot pie develops in stages.
- The chicken: Buy a whole, cut-up chicken, which cooks faster than a whole chicken. No need to fiddle around with a whole chicken when theyre already available cut-up. Toss the pieces on a sheet pan with oil and roast it.
- The veggies: I use frozen vegetables to stir into the filling, but give the gravy a lift by dicing onions, garlic, and celery while the chicken is roasting.
- The pie crust: Rather than make a scratch pie crust I buy store-bought puff pastry.
- The stock: If you have homemade stock in your fridge then by all means use it, but there is no shame in saving time with store-bought stock. To find the best box stock check out our product review: Our Favorite Boxed Chicken Broth.
- The time: The finished chicken pot pie only takes 20-25 minutes to bake in the oven. You can add another 30 minutes to roast the whole cut-up chicken, but if youre really pressed for time, just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store.
Costco Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
Costco chicken pot pie such as is made of cooked chicken breast, Flour, Corn Starch, carrot, peans, Potatoes, and other oil and acids.
These the whole list of Costco chicken pot pies ingredients:
WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR , COOKED CHICKEN BREAST , INTERESTERIFIED SOYBEAN OIL, CARROTS, PEAS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CREAM, RENDERED CHICKEN FAT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, FLAVORS, DISODIUM INOSINATE & DISODIUM GUANYLATE, POLYSORBATE 60, XANTHAN GUM, SOYBEAN OIL, NONFAT DRY MILK, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED WHEY, MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM, SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SEA SALT, GUAR GUM, TURMERIC, AND BETA CAROTENE , WHEAT FLOUR.
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Cooking The Pot Pie Stuffing
I season my chicken with a simple kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook the chicken completely through, then spoon it out of the skillet and set aside. If youre in a pinch, you can also use a rotisserie chicken and dice or shred it.
Once you have removed the chicken, add in the yukon gold potatoes, carrots, garlic, thyme, freshly ground black pepper and better than bouillon chicken paste. I use this paste in so many of my recipes to give it umami and enhance the flavor of the dish. The paste incorporates much better into dishes than using the cubes. Then we will add back in the chicken, some peas, and fresh parsley.
Lets Talk About About Pie Crust
- I love buying pre-made pie crusts from the stores, as they are flaky, tasty and just so much easier than making from scratch. My favorite is the Pillsbury brand found in the refrigerated section. I dont like the frozen crusts in pie tins as much because youll need to flip over one of them for your top crust, thaw it and roll it out a bit to get it to work.
- You could make your chicken pot pie crust from scratch! Id recommend Crazy For Crusts all-butter pie crust as it has turned out perfectly for me every time. The Gracious Pantry has a whole wheat pie crust recipe and What The Forks Gluten-free Pie Crust is amazing as well.
- If you prefer a biscuit dough crust you could take 1 cup of my homemade Bisquick copycat recipe, add 1/2 cup of milk and one egg, mix that together and spread it over one 9-inch pie. Using my filling recipe below youd bake it at 400°F for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Puff Pastry works for an easy pie crust too! Thaw it first, then either cut it into strips, weave it or simply place it on the top. Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
- If youre not a huge fan of pie crust, only add it to the top of the pie pan instead of top and bottom.
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
How To Cook Costco Chicken Pot Pie In The Air Fryer
Frozen chicken pot pies should be cooked for 20- 25 min at 350°F in the air fryer. For thawed chicken pot pie, it will take about 15 min.
You May Like: Jim Brush Key Lime Pie
Rolling Out The Crust
Roll out the pie crust first and place it in the refrigerator before making the filling. This process gives the butter in the dough plenty of time to firm up so that the warm filling doesnt cause it to melt before baking. This recipe uses a double-crust pie to encase the chicken mixture.
Roll out the bottom and top crusts to ¼-inch thick. This provides a sturdy base and cover. Use a 9-inch pie dish to lay one portion of the dough inside, then trim off the excess. Place the top crust on a baking sheet, it will be further shaped later.
Can You Microwave Chicken Pot Pie
4.9/5pot piemicrowavemicrowavepot pie
Subsequently, one may also ask, can you cook a chicken pot pie in the microwave?
Place pot pie on microwave-safe plate slit top crust. Microwave on high. 1100 watt oven or more – 4 to 5 minutes. Do not cook in microwave ovens below 1100 watts as pot pie may not cook thoroughly.
Also, how long do you cook a Marie Callender’s pot pie in the microwave? Microwave in open carton on high rotate carton a quarter turn during cooking. 1100 watt oven or more – 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 minutes. Do not cook in microwave ovens below 1100 watt as pot pie may not cook thoroughly.
Accordingly, how do you reheat a chicken pot pie in the microwave?
If your chicken pot pie is frozen, preheat it for 3 minutes in the microwave and then bake it in a 300-degree oven for 15 minutes, or until the center is heated through and the top crust is flaky, but not burned.
How do you make Marie Callender’s chicken pot pie in the microwave?
Microwave oven: cook only one product at a time.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
How To Freeze Chicken Pot Pie & Bake It Up Later
This recipe was one of the first freezer meal recipes I ever developed! In fact, its part of my 50 Freezer Meals in a Day menu and continues to be a family fav today. I usually make 3-4 batches of this easy chicken pot pie freezer meal and stick em all in the freezer for busy nights. You can see more of my freezer meal recipes here.
Here are some frozen pot pie cooking instruction & tips.
- If you are planning on doing an egg wash, dont add it before freezing. Instead brush it on right before adding the pie to the oven.
- To freeze chicken pot pie wrap tightly it in aluminum foil, trying to minimize any air exposure. Then place in freezer. You can then bake it according to my instructions below for the best quality crust and pie.
- Use a metal or foil pan if going from freezer to a hot oven, as glass pans can shatter.
How to cook a pie from frozen and how long will it take to cook it?The best way is to take the frozen 9-inch pot pie, cover it in foil and bake it for 30 minutes covered. Then remove the foil and finish baking for another 35-40 minutes until the pie crust is golden brown and sauce is bubbling inside. If you are using a family sized pot pie in a 9×13 baking dish this will take longer.
Can I cook chicken pot pie if its not fully thawed?Yes! You can cook this recipe even if it is only partially thawed. Just cook the recipe as if it was frozen, and watch it often to see if it gets done early.
Read Also: Nation’s Pies