How To Make Key Lime Pie
1. Set oven to 350F. Crush the cookies into fine crumbs either using food process or or a plastic bag and rolling pin. If youre using a processor then drizzle the melted butter in while you pulse then remove the blade and stir with a spatula. If youre making the crust by hand pour the crumbs into a bowl then drizzle in the melted butter and mix until combined.
2. Transfer the mixture to a nine inch pie dish then distribute the crumbs and press down firmly. Press the side and use your thumb to tamp down the top. Pop into the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350F. Youll know the crust is done when its darkened slightly and fragrant.
3. While the crust bakes zest 1-2 limes and then juice them until you have 2/3 cup or 160mL.
4. Add the yolks and zest to the bowl of your mixer and beat for a few minutes. This will help infuse the filling with the oils from the zest.
5. Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and beat until well combined. Scrape the bowl down and beat once more.
6. Pour in the key lime juice while the mixer runs on low. Beat until combined and slightly thickened. Dont go too far and over-beat though, everything will set up in the oven.
8. Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until you get soft peaks then transfer to a piping bag fitter with a star tip and pipe dollops on the edge. You can also just spoon the whipped cream over the top of the pie, personally I prefer LOTs of whipped cream with my pies but thats a personal choice.
How To Make The Perfect Key Lime Pie Recipe
A southern US speciality with a rich, custard filling and tangy, lime overtones. Its not a million miles away from a cheesecake, but whose is the best recipe?
Key lime pie is, like so many regional specialities, very much the product of its environment in this case, the Florida Keys, a chain of coral islands that trail lazily into the Gulf of Mexico and that were only linked to the US mainland in 1912. This splendid isolation fostered a reliance on local ingredients such as limes and the cans of condensed milk popular in tropical climates before widespread refrigeration. Put the two together, and you have most of a key lime pie.
Though it probably dates from the late 19th century, the dish became famous when the tourist industry took off in the Keys following the construction of the Overseas Highway in a 1948 travel piece on Key West, the Washington Post includes it, along with turtle steaks and black bean soup, as one of the epicurean pleasures not to be overlooked. That said, there have been more recent claims that its simply an adaptation of a 1930s recipe for lemon pie created by a condensed milk manufacturer 1,500 miles north in New York City, but I wont go there. Instead, heres a recipe.
Mostly Lime But Suits Me Fine
I really like Element juices – almost always bang on with accuracy, and good strong flavour. Ive been dripping this around 70W on a 0.2 ohm dual Clapton build, and I get a sweet natural lime hit up front, with a creamy pastry exhale . The clouds are great too – dense and milky. Also pleased with the price for a premium brand – seen it for £5.49 elsewhere.
Recommended Reading: Seedless Grape Pie
Fill And Bake The Pie
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk the egg yolks by hand until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Gently whisk in the sweetened condensed milk until combined, then whisk in the lime juice the filling will thicken just a bit. Scrape the filling into the crust and spread it evenly.
- Bake on a rimmed baking sheet for 20 minutesthe filling will be only partially set. Cool to room temperature on a rack, then refrigerate until the filling is completely set, at least 5 hours.
How To Make The Best Key Lime Pie Bars:
Have you ever had a food craving that lasted you a week? Thats what its been like for me. Just torturing me. At one point I even purchased some key lime pie flavored white chocolate. Which btw, was totally gross. Chocolate should taste like chocolate and not key lime pie. Or frozen yogurt. I tried this greek frozen yogurt that was key lime pie flavored. Oh. Ew! Yuck. This was a craving that would only go away with the real deal.
The first time I made these bars last March, I took one bite and told Anees that these absolutely, hands down, had to be the BEST thing ive ever baked. And though Anees had a hard time believing that something that didnt contain chocolate could be the best anything, upon taking a bite, he was nodding along that these would definitely make the list of top 5.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
What Youll Need To Make Key Lime Pie
- Youll need 8 to 10 limes total for this recipe. Choose plump limes that give a little when you squeeze them they will be easier to juice. You should get about 2 tablespoons of juice from each lime. Be sure to zest the limes before you squeeze the juice from them, as its near impossible to do afterward.
- Sweetened condensed milk is canned milk from which water has been removed, and sugar has been added. Be sure not to confuse it with evaporated milk, which is usually sold right alongside.
- With no eggs, it may be hard to believe that this pie will set, but have faith it will.
Is There A Difference Between Lime Juice And Key Lime Juice
by22 décembre 2021, 1 h 17 min360 Views
Standard lime juice is a kitchen staple. Key lime juice, however, comes from a unique fruit tree and is more rare.
Furthermore, Is a Key lime the same as a lime?
Key lime is more rounded
While Regular limes are a bit oblong in shape. While regular limes have a thick bright green skin, that of key lime is thinner. When unripe, limes are vividly green and key limes dark green. When ripe, limes become yellow, and key limes turn yellowish-green.
Additionally, Can I use bottled lime juice for key lime pie?
A: Yes, you can use Key lime juice. Look for it in the juice aisle or in the alcoholic beverage aisle. Key limes, also known as Mexican limes, have a bit more tartness than regular limes and are much smaller, around the size of a golf ball, with a smooth, thin skin.
Also Can you use key limes in drinks?
When it comes to adding acidity to drinks, a select few bartenders are reaching for Key limes, rather than the standard Persian. From simple sours like the Daiquiri to lavish tiki staples like the Mai Tai, limes are an essential building block for entire categories of cocktails.
Simply so, What are the benefits of key lime water?
Limes are a good source of magnesium and potassium.
- Rejuvenates skin. Several skin care products claim to promote healthier, younger looking skin.
- Improves digestion.
Read Also: Campbells Soup Recipes For Chicken Pot Pie
Pro Tips For This Recipe
- Almost any cookie will work for the crust and yes you ca use Graham Crackers although the Biscoff cookies have more flavor.
- Always use fresh lime juice. If you cant find key limes then use regular limes.
- You can use less zest and sub in a few tablespoons of water for some of the lime juice if you want a mellower flavor.
- I piped dollops on the edge of my pie but this pie is wonderful with a giant mound of whipped cream on top so go ahead and spoon it on!
- Dont over-bake the pie, it sets quite quickly!
- A little lime zest sprinkles on top just before serving adds a nice dash of color to this pie.
What Really Makes These Key Lime Pie Bars Outstanding Is The Crust:
Raise your hand if thats your favorite part! Okay, well dont. Because your boss may walk by and give you a peculiar look as to why youve got your hand up in the air. The crust on these key lime pie bars is a few simple ingredients. Were using graham crackers, sugar, butter, and heres the shocker cinnamon and ground pecans.
Okay, so before you hit the little X at the top window, let me say that cinnamon and ground pecans are going to take these bars to the next level. The Cheesecake Factory uses nuts in their classic cheesecake crust to make the flavor so unique, along with a pinch of cinnamon. The cinnamon flavor isnt noticeable if youre worried about that. Just a quarter teaspoon makes the crust so delicious but keeps the eater guessing what it is that makes these key lime pie bars so addicting.
You May Like: The Profit Key Lime
Is Key Lime Good For You
Limes are a good source of magnesium and potassium, which promote heart health. Potassium can naturally lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation, which reduces your risk of a heart attack and stroke. Research is ongoing on lime compounds called limonins that may be able to reduce cholesterol levels.
What Is A Key Lime
The difference between a key lime and a Persian lime is mainly the size, color and a slight flavor difference. A key lime is smaller, a little more yellow in color and slightly tarter in flavor. Because they are not readily available in my grocery stores, I always use Nellie & Joes key lime juice, which works perfectly every time. The key lime juice is usually found in the juice aisle of the grocery store. Be sure and use key lime juice rather than the juice of a regular Persian lime.
Also Check: Bean Pie Oakland
Key Lime Pie Is A Summer Essentialbut Can You Make This Dessert With Regular Limes Let’s Take A Closer Look At Key Lime Vs Lime
Limes are a summer staple. Just a splash of this tart juice is all you need to bring out the bright flavors of salads and sooth the savory notes in grilled food. Not to mention, lime can be refreshing in cocktails, limeade and desserts!
But what if your recipe calls for Key limesand you cant find them at the grocery store? Is it okay to use regular limes instead?
How Many Key Limes Does It Take To Make A Cup Of Key Lime Juice
Even though key limes are juicier, due to the size difference you need to squeeze about 20 limes to get ½ cup of juice. It would only take about 3 Persian limes to get the same ½ cup quantity. Both limes are acidic with a tangy flavor, but Persian limes lack the floral bouquet that accompanies key limes.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
The Difference Between Limes And Key Limes
What Are Key Limes?
Key limesalso known as Mexican limes or West Indies limesare small, spherical limes that grow in tropical and subtropical regions. Theyre light yellow when ripe and contain more seeds than regular limes. Their skin is also very thin, which means they dont store well. Its best to keep them out of the fridge and use them within two days of purchasing.
Key lime juice is prized for being tart and super-aromatic. You can use them in place of regular limes in any recipe, but theyre an ideal choice for sweetened-up desserts like Key lime pie, cupcakes or thumbprint cookies.
These limes might get their name from the Florida Keys, but theyre grown all of over Florida and in some areas of California. They only grow in the U.S. between June and September, though. In Mexico, they enjoy a year-round season, but their delicate nature means transporting them to the U.S. can be challenging.
Nice But Not What I Expected
Although not unpleasant at all it wasn’t what I was expecting. The cookie bakery flavour was muted and the lime was sharp but watery. Overpowering the muted flavours was a bold sweetness that lingered in the mouth. Disappointing compared to the Banana Nut by the same brand but not horrible either.
I love this juice its my second favourite over charlies lemon meringue.lovely flavour .the only negative thing is after 3 or 4 tanks full after that I don’t get such a good hit but that’s probably due to how many juices I have and a lot are lime flavours so im guessing that’s why I don’t get so charmed by this like at first few fills.but buy this in 30 ml its amazingly tangy and a real all dayer vape.
You May Like: Key Lime Muffins Key Largo
Key Lime Cookie Dripper E
- In Stock
- Order by 7:00PM for same working day dispatch & tracked next day UK delivery.* FREE when you spend over £20!
- Price Match Guarantee
- We will never be beaten on price! Terms & conditions apply.
Key Lime Cookie Dripper e-liquid by Element is a dessert blend with a zesty twang. A freshly baked cookie on inhale is closely followed by sharp notes of lime to create a well-mixed, sweet taste with every vape.
Key Lime Cookie Dripper e-liquid is available as a 50ml shortfill with space for a 10ml nic shot, a 100ml shortfill with space for 2 x 10ml nic shots or in 10ml TPD compliant bottles in nicotine strengths of 0mg, 3mg and 6mg.
These e-liquids contain an 80% VG ratio, making them ideal for large cloud production when used with a sub ohm device or tank.
Element are a US e-liquid manufacturer known for being one of the most trusted and admired purveyors of blends worldwide.
- 10ml E-Liquid Bottles, 50ml & 100ml Shortfills
- 10mls – 0mg, 3mg & 6mg Nicotine Strength
- 80% VG / 20% PG
- Designed For Sub Ohm Vaping
- Mixed and Bottled In An ISO 7 Cleanroom
- Made In The USA
Do you have a question about this product? Why not ask our expert team.
Registered members earn £0.50 in loyalty points for every published product review!
Love it. Really limey. Ill buy this again.
nice but sweet, good balance of lime and cookie though
These Key Lime Pie Bars Are Quick And Easy To Make
Theyre the perfect spring/summer dessert to serve at any gathering. Nobody wants to slave in the kitchen when the heat hits, these bars are your answer to a quick dessert. They require a quick 30 minutes of hands on time, just 9 simple ingredients, and they taste like a million bucks. No, really, they do.
Creamy, cool, smooth, and so much flavor. After baking the bars, they need a couple of hours to chill in the refrigerator. This had to be the hardest part of the whole process. I couldnt wait to dig in to these key lime pie bars. That first bite, it makes it alllllll worth it.
Happy Friday, yall!
P.S. If you like this recipe, you might also want to check out my creamy lemon squares equally delicious with a lemony twist!
Cook TimeTotal Time
You need less than 10 ingredients to make my Key Lime Pie Bars. These squares are zesty, filled with lime juice and are the perfect spring time dessert!
- 1 ¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground pecans
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 teaspoons lime zest
- ½ cup key lime juice