How Do I Make The Homemade Chocolate Pie Recipe
Whipped Cream Does Double Duty
The most difficult part of making this pie is waiting for the chocolate to cool before folding in the whipped cream. . When the chocolate is barely warm to the touch, use a gentle folding motion to gently scoop the chocolate up and over the cream until no streaks of cream remain. After the pie chills and firms, top with more whipped cream and garnish with chocolate chips, sprinkles, fruit, or more marshmallows.
No Bake Chocolate Pie
This no bake chocolate pie recipe is rich, creamy, and so chocolaty. It has all the flavor and texture of chocolate mousse with far less effort.
Ive loved these pies my entire life. I remember eating my grandmas version and her allowing me to lick the bowl. Instant puddings were so popular at the time and this was a long time ago.
I loved chocolate pudding so much and she loved me because she wasnt generally the type to allow bowl licking. I wish you could see the giant smile on my face right now as I write about her.
Besides my husband, son, and a few others, she was and still is my favorite human. EVER.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Soup Shepherd’s Pie
Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
Everyone should know how to make Chocolate Cream Pie because it is just such a classic. And honestly? It’s not that hard to make. Yes, there are three components to put together–the crust, the pudding, and the whipped cream, but the end result is worth the effort!
Definitely don’t take any shortcuts with this one because a homemade Chocolate Cream Pie is worlds away from anything you can get at the store or bakery. A crisp crust holds that silky and rich chocolate pudding with piles of whipped cream and it’s simply amazing.
So, let’s get to making it, shall we? The text below offers tons of tips and helpful notes, or you can scroll to the bottom to grab the recipe and get started!
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 This chocolate pie with pudding is super-customizable! Top with extras like candy pieces or chocolate syrup for even more deliciousness.
- tip 2 Any flavor of pudding mix works with this recipe. Use your favorite!
- tip 3 If youre traveling with this Easy Chocolate Pudding Pie, wait until you arrive at your destination to add toppings.
- tip 4 Have the little hands in your family help make the pudding filling or top the pie with sprinkles.
- tip 5 If an Easy Chocolate Pudding Pie has you craving more slices try this recipe for French Silk Chocolate Pie. Use a refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crust to keep it simple.
- tip 6 As delicious as instant pudding pie, but with a light and smooth texture, our recipe for Easy Chocolate Mousse is simply delightful.
You May Like: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pie
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven, and this no-bake dessert brings them together in an inspired way. The magical ingredient in this recipe is Girl Scout cookiesâspecifically, the peanut butter pattiesâwhich are crushed to create a nutty crust for the thick and smooth peanut butter and vanilla pudding filling.
How To Customize Your Whoopie Pies
Taste of Home
Chocolate whoopie pies with vanilla frosting are the most common flavor combo for this cookie, but there are many ways to customize these to suit your tastes.
- The easiest way to add color, flavor and texture to whoopie pies is to roll the edges of the frosted pies in your favorite decoration. Use sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, toasted nuts, crushed cookies, candiesany fun extras you may have in the pantry.
- Switch up the extracts: This classic recipe calls for vanilla extract, but you could easily sub in almond, mint or even orange extract .
- Add fruit: Want to make this dessert a bit fruitier? Add jam or even freeze-dried fruit to the frosting. Itll give the filling flavor and color. See how great it looks with these chocolate-raspberry whoopie pies!
- Stir up a boozy filling: Taste of Home food stylist Josh Rink recommends adding a splash of your favorite sip to this frosting recipe for an adults-only treat. Liqueurs like Irish cream, Kahlua and amaretto would all be welcome to the party.
How To Make Chocolate Cream Pie:
Make the Oreo Crust. Set aside to cool.
Make the chocolate pudding filling:
Add the sugar and milk to a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently.
Add the egg yolks and cornstarch to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
Once the saucepan mixture is simmering, add a few spoonfuls of the hot liquid into the egg yolks and whisk to temper the eggs. Slowly whisk the tempered egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Whisk constantly until the mixture begins to thicken and comes to a very gently boil .
Remove pan from the heat and stir in the butter, chopped chocolate, and vanilla extract. Stir well until completely smooth.
Pour filling into the cooled crust and smooth into an even layer. Place a piece of plastic wrap gently on top and refrigerate until filling is set, at least 46 hours.
Once the pudding filling has set, top with fresh whipped cream and chocolate curls or shavings.
What Kind Of Chocolate Is Used For Chocolate Pie
For this pie, youll want to use Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips which will in turn create two chocolate layers. The bottom layer is a dark chocolate ganache.
The second layer is a semi-sweet chocolate layer and the top layer is a whipped cream layer. When all three layers are combined, youll get the perfect chocolate flavor that isnt too sweet or bitter!
Remember, the higher the quality of chocolate, the better the end flavor will be. A high quality chocolate will give this pie a more velvety texture as well as a richer flavor. A lower quality chocolate will taste more waxy and offer less flavor overall.
Recommended Reading: Mermaid Cupcakes Denver
How To Decorate The Pie
It’s perfectly acceptable to leave the pie unadorned since it already has that gorgeous cream top. But, it’s always a fun idea to decorate the pie to give a “sneak peek”, a tease perhaps, as to what is hidden below the whipped cream.
Since you are already chopping chocolate to make the pudding, it makes sense to chop some extra to sprinkle on top of the pie. You could also drizzle a bit of chocolate ganache on top of the whipped cream!
Easy Microwave Chocolate Pie Filling
Once you have the crust, its onto the filling. Do you have 10 minutes? Because thats all the time you will need to make it in the microwave.
The only caveat here is to be sure the filling bubbles in the center at the end of cooking to be certain that the cornstarch cooks. Now pour that chocolate goodness into the cooled crust of your choice and wait.
It feels like forever, but you can get on with your day knowing that by dessert time, you will have a deep, dark chocolate pie in the fridge. No one can argue with that.
You May Like: Pinkie Pie Playset
How To Make Pie Crust
1. Mix together the flour and salt put the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Add in the shortening cut the shortening into cubes and sprinkle it on top of the flour in different places. Pulse several times until the mixture resembles large pea-sized crumbs and changes to a darker color. Take a little bit of the mixture and pinch it together with your fingers if it holds together, your dough is ready for the water.
3. Slowly add in the water remove the food processor lid cap and slowly drizzle in the ice cold water while pulsing, until the mixture just starts to form a ball. Dont over-process.
4. Test the texture of the dough take some of the mixture and pinch it together with your fingers if it holds together, your dough is good to go. If its still crumbly, add a little more water
5. Form the dough into a disc transfer the dough mixture onto a clean, dry, flat surface thats been lightly dusted with flour. Gather into a mound, then fold the dough into itself until the flour is fully incorporated. Then flatten the mound into a 1-inch thick disc, making sure there arent any open edges or cracks.
6. Wrap and chill wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
Tips For A Perfect Crust
Also Check: Muslims Bean Pie Recipes
More Chocolate Recipes To Love
Whats not to love about chocolate. I once had a saying on my fridge that said Id give up chocolate, but Im not a quitter! Its true. Chocolate is magical in so many ways. First of all its tastes can be super complex and diverse. From earthy to fruity. Chocolate combines with all sorts of flavors from fruits, nuts, to even spicy chilis. It is used in a array of recipes and is loved all over the world. In its dark form, chocolate is also good for you with its high content of flavonoids, or antioxidants. So lets enjoy a bit more chocolate in our lives with these recipes!
How To Store Coconut Pie
This pie can sit out for a day After that, it should be refrigerated. Either way, it will dry out the longer it sits and is best eaten within a couple days.
You can freeze this pie, but its not recommended, since it tends to be watery once it thaws out.
Sweet and sublime. Ive made it so many times. Its what dreams are made of!
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Easy Chocolate Curls:
I love the extra wow factor that chocolate curls add when I use them to decorate the top of this pie! Ive tried a few different methods, and heres the easiest method Ive found:
Melt 1 cup of good quality chocolate. I use Ghirardelli baking chips or a bar of Bakers chocolate, chopped. You can make your own double boiler to melt the chocolate , or follow my tips for melting chocolate in the microwave.
Pour melted chocolate onto the back of a baking sheet and smooth it into a thin layer. I use an offset spatula to smooth the chocolate into as thin of a layer as I can.
Allow the chocolate to set.
My biggest tip for making chocolate curls is making sure the chocolate is the right consistency. Place the baking sheet with melted chocolate in the fridge for about 5 minutes, or in the freezer for 2-3 minutes.
Use a metal spatula or scraper to make the chocolate curls. Remove the pan of chocolate from the fridge or freezer. Allow it to rest on your counter for a minute or two.
Hold your metal spatula horizontally in front of you and press it firmly against the pan at a 45 degree angle, scraping the chocolate up as you push the scraper forward. If the chocolate is set right it will begin to curl over itself as you push.
If the chocolate shreds into tons of small pieces instead of folding into a curl, its probably too cold, so allow it to come to room temperature a little longer.
Classic Chocolate Pieno Box Mix Necessary
A true classic, chocolate pie is often overshadowed by more well-known pies, like pumpkin pie and key lime pie. Its decadent and rich, essentially thickened chocolate pudding over pie crust, and its a refreshing alternative to other chocolate desserts. In fact, its my personal favorite pie on the blog!
My version of this chocolate pie recipe requires absolutely no box mixes or pre-made ingredients. Youre going to make everything from scratch, from the pie crust to the filling, and when its done chilling, I suggest you serve it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream.
I initially shared this chocolate pudding pie recipe a few years ago and its been one of my most popular recipes ever since, for good reason. I thought it was about due for a refresh with new photos and a video tutorial . Try it out for yourself this pie season and let me know what you think!
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie With Campbells Soup
Baking A Chocolate Chess Pie