Tips For Cooking Chicken Pot Pie
When making chicken pot pie recipes, the following tips will help you achieve desirable results:
You may use store-bought crust variations Its OK to use a store-bought crust. If you have the time, though, using a homemade crust is a great idea and wont disappoint you. The crust is just as crucial as the filling in making a flawless pie.
How to prevent a soggy lower crust depends entirely on the filling it must not be runny. Instead, when it comes off the heat, it should be thick. If you use too much broth, it will soak through the crust before it is baked.
Prepare some parts of the recipe in advance, if you like Its a great approach that gives you an advantage if you can complete some of the cooking tasks ahead of time.
- Pie crust: You can prepare the pie crust according to the recipes directions, but instead of rolling it out, flatten it into a disk. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for 3 months after wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap. Allow it to thaw in the refrigerator before rolling out if it comes out frozen.
- Bake the chicken: Up to 2 days ahead of time, the chicken can be baked, cooled, and refrigerated in airtight containers.
- Create the filling ahead of time: You can make the filling up to a day ahead of time. Allow cooling completely before storing in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
View this post on Instagram
Follow the timing guidelines in the table below when making a chicken pot pie recipe:
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Now let’s chat about the filling. It’s a simple made-from-scratch mixture of diced or shredded chicken, celery, onion, peas, and carrots, all in a creamy white sauce that’s thickened with a roux. I use frozen peas, but if peas aren’t your thing, you can substitute with ½ cup of any vegetables that you like .
Youll need a total of about 4 cups of cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. This is my preference, since the rotisserie chicken also adds great flavor to the dish.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
How Long To Cook Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is truly comforting food at its finest, typically combining a flaky, buttery crust with onions, diced chicken, peas, and carrots in a creamy sauce. You can always readily get pre-made chicken pot pie in practically any grocery freezer department, but cooking your own homemade version is definitely a worthwhile experience.
Chicken pot pies promise an entirely delicious experience, as long as they are made the right way. We have recommended ideal methods of preparing this recipe and some really helpful tips to help you achieve the best results.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Cooking Directions For Baking Marie Callenders Pot Pies
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Remove pot pie from outer carton leave pot pie in paper tray. Wrap crust edge with a strip of aluminum foil.
Cook on baking sheet 60 minutes. Remove carefully its hot! Let stand 5 minutes to complete cooking.
Check that pot pie is cooked thoroughly. Internal temperature needs to reach 165 F as measured by a food thermometer in several spots.
The crust will be golden brown, and steam will rise from the filling. Enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Florida Keys
Tips And Tricks For Making The Perfect Pot Pie
- Whats my roux supposed to look like? Your roux, the flour and fat paste used to thicken the gravy, should be light in color and crumbly, but not dry. After adding the flour to the pan, the veggies should look like theyre coated in a crumbly, moist batter.
- How do I prevent lumps in my gravy? For a smooth gravy, add the chicken stock gradually about 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Add more stock only after the previous addition has been stirred smooth.
- What if my gravy is too thick or thin? Your gravy should coat the back of the spoon, but be thin enough for you to see through it.
- If your gravy is thin, whisk together a tablespoon of all-purpose flour and a tablespoon of cold water. Whisk this flour slurry into the simmering gravy to thicken it up to the proper consistency.
- If your gravy is thick like pudding, whisk in two to four tablespoons of chicken stock to thin it.
Also Check: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
Costco Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
Costco chicken pot pie such as is made of cooked chicken breast, Flour, Corn Starch, carrot, peans, Potatoes, and other oil and acids.
These the whole list of Costco chicken pot pies ingredients:
WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR , COOKED CHICKEN BREAST , INTERESTERIFIED SOYBEAN OIL, CARROTS, PEAS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CREAM, RENDERED CHICKEN FAT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, FLAVORS, DISODIUM INOSINATE & DISODIUM GUANYLATE, POLYSORBATE 60, XANTHAN GUM, SOYBEAN OIL, NONFAT DRY MILK, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED WHEY, MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM, SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SEA SALT, GUAR GUM, TURMERIC, AND BETA CAROTENE , WHEAT FLOUR.
Tips For The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Biscuits
- Use a 2-quart casserole dish or a deep-dish pie plate to bake your pot pie.
- If you’re using a different brand or a different variety of store-bought biscuit dough, check the package instructions for the correct baking temperature and time. Each version varies slightly.
- Bake the biscuits separately from the filling. This avoids soggy biscuits that don’t cook through on the bottom, and gives you more control over the temperature of the filling. The biscuits won’t burn before the chicken mixture is warm!
- Season the filling with additional fresh or dried herbs such as parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Campbells
A Festive Menu Fit For Friends And Familyyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Hearty snacks, seasonal sides, flavorful main dishes and tantalizing desserts all complement one another perfectly for holiday celebrations among loved ones. This year, when planning your menu, be sure to consider recipes that keep family and friends content from the moment they hang up their coats to the goodbye hugs.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Also Check: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Chicken Pot Pie
I am not exaggerating when I say this is the BEST chicken pot pie recipe EVER. It’s amazing. Flaky pie crust, a buttery, creamy filling with classic chicken and vegetables, and my secret ingredient weapon.
This recipe is not only the most popular on the blog. It’s also the most popular in our own family, with my kids requesting it for their birthday dinner, and our extended family begging me to make it for get-togethers. It’s seriously that good.
What makes this chicken pot pie amazing is three things.
Baking A Homemade Raw Frozen Fruit Pie
Recommended Reading: Pinkie Pie Playset
Are Costco Chicken Pot Pie Healthy
Costco chicken pot pies are loaded with calories and fat which make it an unhealthy choice, but the taste is wonderful. banquet chicken pot pie or Marie Callender’s chicken pot pie has almost the same amount of calories, fat, and sodium, so if you are looking for healthy pot pie these are a good option.
You can try to make homemade chicken pot pie, and choose your own healthy ingredients to use.
Lets Talk About About Pie Crust
- I love buying pre-made pie crusts from the stores, as they are flaky, tasty and just so much easier than making from scratch. My favorite is the Pillsbury brand found in the refrigerated section. I dont like the frozen crusts in pie tins as much because youll need to flip over one of them for your top crust, thaw it and roll it out a bit to get it to work.
- You could make your chicken pot pie crust from scratch! Id recommend Crazy For Crusts all-butter pie crust as it has turned out perfectly for me every time. The Gracious Pantry has a whole wheat pie crust recipe and What The Forks Gluten-free Pie Crust is amazing as well.
- If you prefer a biscuit dough crust you could take 1 cup of my homemade Bisquick copycat recipe, add 1/2 cup of milk and one egg, mix that together and spread it over one 9-inch pie. Using my filling recipe below youd bake it at 400°F for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Puff Pastry works for an easy pie crust too! Thaw it first, then either cut it into strips, weave it or simply place it on the top. Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
- If youre not a huge fan of pie crust, only add it to the top of the pie pan instead of top and bottom.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken With rotisserie chicken ready to go, youll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and youll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
Don’t Miss: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Whats The Best Way To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
Once the chicken pot pie has been cut and served, I find the best way to reheat it is to cover it with aluminum foil and reheat it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Usually, Ive stored the pot pie in the fridge in the same dish I baked it in. To avoid shattering my dish, I pop it into a cold oven. I set the oven to 350°F and allow the dish to warm up along with the oven. This lowers my wait time and protects my ceramic baking dishes. My 15-minute heating time begins when the oven has reached 350°F.
How To Cook Costco Chicken Pot Pie In The Oven
Cooking Frozen Costco Chicken pies will take about 60 min in the oven at 400°F. For thawed pies, it will take 45-50 min.
For better results, check the internal temperatures it should reach 160°F.
Also Check: Américan Pie Band Camp Trailer