What Kind Of Liquor Goes Into Moonshine
- Moonshine is a type of whiskey that is manufactured at home and is not matured.
- According to the docuseries Moonshine on Discovery Channel, it is known for being illegally distilled and trafficked over state boundaries, among other things.
- The fact why moonshine is prohibited is owing to laws prohibiting the distillation of alcoholic beverages at home.
- In other words, when people talk about flavored moonshine, such as this Apple Pie Moonshine, theyre talking about a drink thats produced using the closest thing you can purchase to true moonshine, which is a high-proof grain alcoholic beverage.
Any grain alcohol between 80 and 151 proof will work, or you may use the highest proof vodka you can locate to make this cocktail.
How To Make Shortcrust Pie Tops
What Are The Best Apples For Apple Pie
It’s best to use a mix of different types of apples in your pie. Some apple varieties cook up faster than others. Some cook up firm, some more soft some apples are more tart, some more sweet.
- Granny Smith – Green and tart, Granny Smith apples have wonderful flavor, but they they often lose their shape and turn mushy when cooked. So use no more than 2 Grannies in your pie, and combine with other varieties.
- Jonagold – A cross between a Golden Delicious and a Jonathan, Jonagolds have a lovely aromatic flavor, they’re both sweet and sharp, and they hold their shape with baking.
- Fuji – Crisp, firm, juicy, balance of sweet and tart, holds its shape in baking
- Golden Delicious – Yellow and sweet, holds its shape after baking
- Braeburn – Sweet and crisp, bakes up firm and juicy
- Cortland – Juicy and tart, relatively soft, great all purpose apple for baking
- Honey Crisp – Honey sweet and tart flavor, crisp and juicy, holds shape in baking
- Avoid Red Delicious apples for pies, they don’t cook well.
For more information on which apple varieties are best for baking, check out our Guide to Apples.
You May Like: Grape Pie Recipe Easy
Don’t Miss Out On This Fall Classic Learn How To Make Apple Pie From Scratch And Enjoy The Flavors Of Autumn
Theres no fall treat more iconic than the apple pie. Who doesnt love going to their local apple picking farm, getting crisp apples and combining them with warming cinnamon and buttery pastry? Because this fall dessert is so beloved, its one home bakers should try to master. If baking pies is intimidating to you, have no fearwell walk you through how to make the perfect apple pie step by step.
Gourmet Apple Pie Moonshine
The above mentioned recipe will make a great batch of apple pie moonshine. However, add spices like ginger, orange peel, cloves, allspice, vanilla bean, peppercorn, etc… and you’ll have something that will make your tastebuds do backflips. There are plenty of recipes on the web for more complicated versions of apple pie moonshine. Some of them are great, others are OK, but most are sorely lacking. We know this firsthand here at Clawhammer Supply, because we’ve tried a lot of them out. We did this because we’ve been working on a top secret project for a while now – the creation of a perfect blend of apple pie moonshine spices. After making many, many test batches, and drinking a lot, lot, lot of apple pie moonshine, we finally landed on a recipe that we’re 100% sure will melt your tastebuds into a puddle of awesomeness. We proudly present to you our very own Apple Pie Moonshine Spice Mix. Check out that link to buy some, or head on over to our sister site, How to Make Apple Pie Moonshine for more info and additional recipes.
You May Like: Chocolate Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Our Favorite Tools To Make Pie:
You dont need fancy equipment to make a pie. If you dont have a food processor, you can use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized crumbles, then add 6-8 Tbsp ice-cold water, folding it in with a spatula between each addition. Its easy as pie! Here are our favorite pie-making tools to make the job easier:
More Baking Tips For Apple Pie
- Use a trusted pie crust recipe. We always use this homemade pie crust recipe for our pies.
- Prepare the apple pie filling first and set it aside for 1 hour, allowing the apples to release their juices then mix the apples and the juices with a thickener like cornstarch or tapioca starch.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 75 minutes, turning a few times for even browning. The long bake time makes sure that the filling thickens inside the pie.
- If your crust starts to brown too quickly or looks to be turning too dark, mold a large piece of foil over a bowl thats been placed upside down to make a foil dome. Place the foil dome over the pie for the remaining bake time. This will slow the browning.
- Let apple pie cool before cutting into it. For the best results, the filling should be room temperature or cold before slicing. Cooling the pie gives the liquid inside a chance to thicken even more, which means it wont spill out into a pool when you cut into the pie.
Read Also: Mlp Pinkie Pie Toys
Grandmas Apple Pie Ala Mode Moonshine
How Long To Bake Apple Pie
To bake, place the pie on a baking sheet in a 375Â°F oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top starts to lightly brown, then lower the temp to 350Â°F and bake anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or more longer.
The way you know that the apple pie is done is that the juices are noticeably bubbling. If you have an instant read thermometer, you can insert it into the center of the pie. A reading of 200Â°F is done.
At any point during the baking the top of the pie begins to brown too much, just tent it with aluminum foil. I usually tent the pie about halfway through the baking with foil.
Let the pie cool for an hour before cutting into it, and serve it plain or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
Easy Apple Pie Recipe With Store Bought Crust
This is an easy homemade apple pie recipe for those days when you don’t have time to whip up a buttery, flaky crust from scratch. The filling comes together in minutes with warm spices and loads of fresh apples, so it tastes like it came from Grandma’s kitchen. The pie is fool-proof…and it comes out perfectly every single time!
Whether it was intentional or by observation, I learned just about everything that I know in the kitchen from my mom. She is an amazing home cook, and she has always used smart, simple shortcuts to create easy recipes with minimal effort.
When I moved into my first apartment as a 21-year-old who had just graduated from college, my mom gifted me this little journal that is full of her hand-written recipes from my childhood. She picked my favorites and she put them all in one place. How awesome is that?
I cook from my mom’s recipes on a regular basis, and this easy apple pie is a consistent winner. I bring it to potlucks, share it at cookouts, and offer it as a dessert to finish off meals with friends and family. It’s ideal for that dinner party that you’re hosting because you can bake the pie in advance and leave it sitting on your countertop until you’re ready to serve it. No last-minute hassle!
How To Make The Apple Pie
Peel, core and cut the apples, and sprinkle them with a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to keep from browning. Toss them with a little flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla, and let the filling sit while you roll out the pie crusts.
Remove the dough disks from the refrigerator and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling one of the disks out to 12-inch circles, about 1/8″-inch thick.
Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and line with the rolled out dough. Trim the edges to a half-inch from the sides of the pie pan. Scoop the apples into the pie plate and create a mound in the center. Don’t worry if the apples are high in the pan, they’ll shrink as they cook.
Roll out the second pie dough disk. If you want to make a lattice pie, see our directions for making a lattice pie here. Otherwise, place the second round of rolled out pie dough over the apples, and tuck the edges of the top pie crust over and under the bottom pie crust edges. Crimp with your fingers to seal.
Score the top in several places to create vents for steam to escape .
You May Like: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
How Do You Make Apple Mash For Moonshine
Cut up apples and put in a food processor and blend up 2. Put blended up apples & 1 gallon of water in a large stock pot and heat up to 160 degrees 3. Empty apple mash into a large enough container to mix in the additional 5 gallons water and 3 cans of concentrate. Stir in the 6 lbs of sugar until totally dissolved.
How To Apple Pie Moonshine
What is the best moonshine recipe?
- Apple Pie Moonshine. Apple pie flavor moonshine is by far the most popular. Wide Open Spaces suggests to start by stirring 1 quart of apple juice, 1 gallon of apple cider, and 10 cinnamon sticks in a large pot. Once youve brought that mixture to a simmer, stir in 3 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar.
Don’t Miss: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
How To Make Eggless + Vegan Apple Pie Crust
This scrumptious apple pie starts with a simple dough thats both dairy-free and eggless.
1. First, in a sieve over a large bowl combine 1 cup of whole wheat flour, ½ cup of all purpose flour, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
2. Sift the ingredients together into the bowl.
3. Next, add ¼ cup of olive oil.
4. Use your fingertips to combine the olive oil and flour to create a breadcrumb-like texture. This is essential for achieving that perfectly flaky, crisp pie crust.
5. Add water to the bowl a splash at a time, and continue using your hands to work everything into a dough.
6. You want just enough water to bind the mixture together and create a tight dough. Do not knead! Gently bring the dough together to form a ball, and cover.
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Pies
Try to find a firm apple to use in this recipe. I like a mix between sweet and sour apples. You can use Granny Smith, Jonathan, Jonagold, Winesap, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Gala, or Rome Beauty. I used a mix between Golden Delicious and some kind of tart firm apples from our trees for this pie, and it was great. Its very forgiving, so experiment!
- Granny Smith Tart, green, flavorful, and perfect for apple pie
- Jonathan red on yellow, bright flavor, and juicy
- Golden Delicious Softer, sweet, and yellow in color
- Gala light red, crispy, and mildly sweet
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie
Making The Pastry Dough