What Is Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie is a savory meat pie made with chicken, potatoes, & vegetables in a creamy sauce. Its normally topped with a flaky, golden-brown pastry pie crust.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling: Rich, creamy, hearty, and warming to eat. Like a warm hug on a chilly night.
Chicken Pot Pie Crust: Some people like to use homemade pie crust, but for convenience, others also use pre-made pie crust, puff pastry, biscuit, or even skip the crust.
Turkey Variation: You can substitute the chicken with turkey to make a Turkey Pot Pie. A great way to use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
This delicious pot pie is a popular dish to satisfy a crowd at potlucks, parties & gatherings. A classic favorite for both kids and adults.
A Thick And Creamy Filling
The ideal consistency of your filling when you’re cooking it on the stovetop and before going into the pot pies should be creamy and thickened. It will thicken a little more in the oven as the pot pies bake, so at this point, you want it to be slightly less thick than the finished dish.
If at this point your filling seems soupy, like heavy cream, let it simmer until it thickens up enough coat the back of a wooden spoon. If it seems like it’s not thickening up as fast as you like, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the sauce, whisk in a tablespoon or two of flour until no more lumps remain, and then whisk this mixture into the skillet.
If it seems like the filling thickened up too much and it starting to seem stiff, then whisk in a little broth or water to thin it out again.
Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie:
A chicken pot pie is a meal in itself loaded with vegetables and protein. The high quality ingredients and generous filling really differentiates this from the ones youll find in the freezer section. Once you try homemade, theres no going back. This also requires simple ingredients:
- Double Pie Crust Youll need two pie disks for the top and bottom.
- Chicken Use shredded cooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts.
- Butter & Flour These make the roux or base for the gravy sauce
- Onion, Carrots, Mushrooms, & Peas this is loaded with vegetables
- Garlic and Parsley These aromatics and simple salt and pepper balance this savory pie.
- Chicken Stock& Cream form the creamy gravy sauce
Recommended Reading: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie Company
Assembling Chicken Pot Pie
Remove the pie dish lined with the chilled pie crust lined from the fridge and fill it with the chicken mixture. Place the top crust over the filling to form a lid
Tuck in the excess overhanging dough and press down to seal the edge. Flute the edges of the pie crust . Decrease out a few small vents on the top crust with a knife. Apply egg wash over the top pie crust and season with some salt and pepper.
Bake in a 400 F preheated oven until the top turns golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Don’t Miss: Original Bean Pie Recipe
Why Youll Love Chicken Pot Pie
- Its fast . Youll love how quick this chicken pot pie comes together. Spending all day long in the kitchen is fun for some, but not everyone. Thats why this quick chicken pot pie is the perfect dinner recipe for cooks who prefer to eat not long after theyve begun cooking.
- The crisp exterior crust. This savory pie features an optional homemade chicken pot pie crust. When you follow the instructions, youll Finish up with delicious dough and bragging rights!
- The creamiest chicken pot pie filling. Of course, the best part of this chicken pot pie is inside. Youll find the traditional ingredients Enjoy peas and carrots, with the creamy goodness of butter and cream.
Meet The Author: Momma Cyd
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. .
Recommended Reading: How To Use A Pie Iron
Can I Make This Gluten Free
Yes! Dont use the flour and butter mixture. Instead, you can replace it with a cornstarch or arrowroot starch slurry . Notice that you need less starch than flour do not make a 1:1 substitution. Or, you can simply not use a thickener. The potatoes will break down a bit when stirred and simmered, which will help to thicken the texture.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Theres nothing really ground breaking in this Chicken Pot Pie recipe, but there are two little things I do that is a bit different to the usual:
Poach chicken and use poaching liquid to make the creamy filling. Most recipes bake the chicken. I prefer poaching so I can use the poaching liquid which becomes infused with extra flavour from the chicken and
Parmesan in the creamy filling. Not for parmesan or cheesy flavour, for seasoning. If youre a regular reader, youll know that I use parmesan cheese regularly in recipes. Its because it adds salt as well as umami to recipes, just giving dishes an extra something-something that makes it so good!
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Also Check: Recipe For Muslim Bean Pie
Thicken Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Bring the chicken pot pie filling to a simmer by pressing Cancel button, then Sauté button. Add in ½ cup 1 cup frozen green peas.
Cook the frozen green peas in the chicken pot pie filling for 1 2 minutes.
Then, transfer the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together ¼ cup cup all-purpose flour and ½ cup heavy cream until the flour is well dissolved.
Finally, thicken the chicken pot pie filling to your desired thickness by mixing in the flour mixture one third at a time.
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie
This is a pretty straight forward recipe, especially when made you make individual Chicken Pot Pies like Ive done. I only have 2 tips to ensure you nail The Pot every single time:
Thicken filling to desired consistency before putting it in the pots. The sauce wont thicken at all once the lid is on. So keep cooking until the sauce is a nice creamy consistency and not watery. Nobody likes a watery pie filling!
Cool filling before topping with puff pastry. Hot filling = melts butter in pastry that creates layers = less puff.
That moment with this Chicken Pot Pie comes out of the oven, all golden and puffed up, and you know that under that buttery lid the creamy filling is bubbling away with the tender chicken and the vegetables and it just smells so amazing
.and THEN you crack through that almost impossibly flaky crispy puff pastry to reveal the piping hot creamy filling, and you blow furiously on it, trying to cool it down as quickly as you can so you can shovel a huge spoonful in your mouth without giving yourself 2nd degree burns.
I shouldnt even joke about that. Ive lost count of the number of times Ive burned my mouth with Chicken Pot Pie. Nagi x
Don’t Miss: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Ar
Optional: Brown Chicken In Instant Pot
*Note: This is a recommended flavor-enhancing step. If you want a dump and go chicken pot pie recipe, skip this Step 1 and Step 2.
Heat up Instant Pot using the Sauté More function. Wait until the Instant Pot says HOT.
*Pro Tip: Make sure the Instant Pot is as hot as it can be to induce Maillard reaction.
First, pat dry your chicken with a paper towel.
Then, season one side of the chicken with salt & black pepper.
Add 2 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil in the inner pot, and ensure to coat the butter all over the whole bottom of the pot.
Now, carefully place the seasoned side of the chicken in Instant Pot. Then, season the other side of the chicken with more salt & black pepper.
Brown one side of the chicken for 3 minutes before flipping over, then brown the other side for another 3 minutes.
Finally, set aside the browned chicken.
Become An Instant Pot Pro
Get my top 5 tips for successful Instant Pot meals, every time.
Pictures updated November 30, 2020. Originally published February 22, 2020.
Chicken Pot Pie used to be reserved for weekends, when I had enough time to assemble and bake it, but not anymore! This crustless Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie is easy and fast, making it totally doable on a weeknight. We like to serve it with biscuits or crusty bread and a simple green salad. If youre looking for more easy weeknight chicken ideas, try my Lemon Garlic Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes!
This pot pie is
- fast it comes together in less than 45 minutes
- easy a true dump and start recipe. Just put in the ingredients and the Instant Pot does the work!
- comforting with traditional flavour and hearty texture
- Worcestershire sauce 2-3 teaspoons, or to your taste
- Cream 1/4 cup of half and half, optional, but adds nice colour and texture
- Salt and pepper to taste
Recommended Reading: Chicken Pot Pie Campbells Soup
David Cross & Chicken Potchicken Potchicken Pot Pie
Okay, so I know Just Shoot Me cant really be considered a television classic , but I know you remember this food moment. Well, some of you. Its quite the strange phenomenon, but despite my knowing about 11 people total who ever watched Just Shoot Me, Im come across hundreds who recall hearing guest-star David Cross sing, Chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pieee when pretending to be Elliots mentally disabled brother. Maybe its because it was David Cross, who can pretty much talk about anything from jorts to reproductive freedom and make it hilarious and memorable. Maybe its because chicken pot pie is delicious. Maybe its because of the mellifluous musicality of the lovely little ditty. Cant you just listen to it over and over?
With just this bit of ridiculousness, Cross successfully redeemed an extremely uncomfortable episode of the show. Its pretty terrible, but man, David Cross made it funny, in part due to his professed desire for chicken pot pie. And who could blame him? Like I said, chicken pot pie is delicious . . . especially when no dead animals are in it! And when you make tiny individual pies like we are going to!
VEGAN CHICKEN POT PIE
Were going to make individual pies! Wait till you see how!
Filling can be made gluten-free
FIRST, MAKE YOUR PIE CRUST:
Tip: Make the dough earlier in the day, or the day before, so it can set in the fridge without causing you distress.
- 3/4C vegan butter
- 1/2C cold water