Other Things I Love About This Meal
- Perfect for leftovers. Do you have leftover turkey after Thanksgiving? Make a turkey pot pie.
- Perfect to take shortcuts with. Buy rotisserie chicken and you’re really cutting down on the time needed.
- Perfect to double or triple for big gatherings. Not that those happen anymore, but when we’re back, it’s something easy to bring to a work event.
- Delicious the next day. The biscuit crust doesn’t get soggy. Just pop in the oven for 350 for 30-40 minutes or until warm.
How To Store It
If youve made the filling ahead of time, store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to two days. Otherwise, you can store them for up to four days.
If you store leftovers in the freezer, they can last for up to three months. When you want to use them, let them defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat or bake them in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F.
Chicken Pot Pie History
The history of a recipe similar to this dish goes back as far as the middle ages.
You probably would not like those.
They contained spices such as nutmeg and mace.
In addition to juices like lemon and orange, they also contained sugar.
Perhaps folks back then thought of if as a true pie.
Here is an old time recipe from my “Burnt Toast Cookbook”, 1942 edition published by The Women’s Auxiliary of the California Babies’ and Children’s Hospital, Los Angeles, California, as it appears in the book.
Read Also: Mrs Budd’s Chicken Pot Pie Review
Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 Veg-All original mixed vegetables with liquid
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, the water that chicken was cooked in.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Bisquick the original
- 1 1/4 cup milk
Cut up chicken, place in a Dutch Oven or large baking pan, add water.
Cook in a 350 F. oven about 1 1/2 hours or until done.
Chicken will be tender and start to pull away from the bone.
Remove skins and bones from chicken and discard.
Mix together soups, salt, and broth.
Stir in vegetables and chicken.
Stir together Bisquick and milk just until the consistency of pancake batter.
Do not over stir.
Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
Pour just enough of batter in pan to coat bottom.
This will be your bottom crust.
Pour in the chicken mixture.
Pour remaining batter over the chicken.
Top with slices of butter.
Bake in a preheated 350 F. oven for 35-40 minutes until the crust is done and golden brown.
Cool 15 minutes before serving.
This Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie can be served as a complete meal without a salad because it contains many vegetables.
However, it is really good served witha side of cranberry sauce.
Different Ways To Biscuit Your Chicken Pot Pie
Bisquick is something I don’t use often, but it’s one of the most convenient things to have on hand for random meals. If you don’t have Bisquick on hand to make a biscuit crust, there are some other things you can do:
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits: Use Pillsbury Grands biscuits. These biscuits can be placed on top and baked the exact same way. Just watch them closely because they might
- Homemade biscuits: Make some homemade biscuit dough and place the rounds on top as you would the canned biscuits.
Also Check: Campbell’s Soup Chicken Pot Pie
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is a complete meal, so it is not necessary to serve it with any additional sides. If you have a large family or would like to add sides, I suggest a nice fresh salad, like this kale and cherry tomato salad.
Between the buttery biscuit crust and chicken, you already have yourself a perfect meal!
Burnt Toast’s Pot Pie
Cut a chicken in pieces and stew until tender, having added parsley, celery, and onion.
Put pieces of chicken in baking pan, then a layer of raw thinly sliced potatoes, another layer of chicken, then potatoes…season to taste.
Put biscuit dough, cut in squares, on top.
Many of the old cookbooks list biscuit dough or cooked biscuits to be placed on top of the Chicken Pot Pie, as they do today.However, of the ones I have tasted, even though some were pretty and browned, I think it tasted too doughy.
Since this IS a pie, I think a pie crust is more appropriate and tasty.
Pour gravy over all and bake in oven until potatoes are done and biscuits good and brown.Like many old cookbooks, the recipes are written for experienced cooks and lack explicit directions.
If you would like to try this old recipe from scratch, use a chicken as noted in the Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie recipe above.
Add a can of carrots and peas, drained, along with the sliced potatoes.
Follow that baking temperature and time.
For making gravy instructions see Salmon Patties Recipe
For the biscuits use Flaky Pie Crust, substituting butter for the lard and chicken broth that chicken was cooked in for your water.
Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut in 3 inch squares and place on top of chicken.
Recommended Reading: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe
How To Make Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
While a homemade chicken pot pie may not be your first option for a quick dinner, this recipe changes that. Your delicious meal will be ready in only 20 to 30 minutes. If you include the baking time, you can serve it in less than an hour.
Of course, you can choose the traditional method and make a chicken pot pie from scratch, but that would require making the dough and the sauce, simmering everything and baking which would take a lot of time.
This recipe, however, offers an easier and quicker way to get an equally delicious and full of flavor meal by skipping a few tedious steps.
One of the secrets to making the perfect Bisquick chicken pot pie is mixing the Bisquick right before baking which would give a light and fluffy top layer with the right biscuit-like consistency.
How Do I Thicken My Pot Pie Filling
Were using flour as the thickener for the pot pie filling in the recipe. Since the filling is assembled on the stove for this dish, it already simmers and thickens before going in the oven.
That means that if you think its not as thick as youd like, you can always mix a bit more flour and water together, then whisk it into the filling, and let it simmer to thicken until you reach your desired consistency.
If you like a really thick filling, you may want to wait 20 30 minutes after it comes out of the oven to serve it. Letting the pot pie cool for a bit will help the filling set.
To keep a chicken pot pie from being runny, its also important to thaw your vegetables before using them. So, if you decide to use frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh vegetables, its important to make sure theyre thawed first.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update
Cooking Notes Additions & Substitutions
- Chicken: This is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. Leftover rotisserie chicken or a package of pre-cooked cubed chicken would also work I think canned chicken would even work. Turkey would also taste great in this pot pie recipe.
- Vegetables: If youve got leftover cooked vegetables, use them instead of the frozen vegetables. Feel free to swap out for a different variety. To bulk this recipe up I often increase the amount of vegetables I use to 2 to 2.5 cups.
- Milk: To keep this pot pie lower in Weight Watchers points opt for low fat or skim milk. If youd like to make this recipe dairy-free, replace the milk with your favorite dairy free alternative such as almond, oat or cashew milk. They have a neutral flavor but similar texture, so they wont affect the filling consistency.
- Original Bisquik baking mix is a staple in my pantry. If you prefer, here is a recipe for making DIY Bisquick from scratch.
- Soup: The recipe calls for a can of cream of chicken soup. I always opt for the Healthy Request soups which are lower in sodium and fat. If you are not a fan of canned soups you could always make your sauce from scratch using butter, flour, milk and chicken broth.
- Season up the base chicken/veggie mixture with your favorite blend of dried herbssage, basil, oregano, thyme or dill will bump all up the flavor quotient.
- Sprinkle the top of the crust with a little shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
Serving chicken pot pie
How To Use Optional Spice Add
The list of optional spice add-ins for this recipe is here to give you some inspiration so that you can customize your chicken pot pie however you like it.
The listed recipe is a great base recipe and is perfectly delicious all on its own. However, with just a hint of things like garlic powder or onion powder, you can make it an entirely different level of intense deliciousness.
If you really feel like experimenting, why not try a curry version using curry powder and turmeric or a Mexican chicken pot pie with things like cayenne and cumin?
This recipe will give you the starting points, but the rest is up to you!
Looking for more delicious Chicken recipes? Try these out:
Recommended Reading: Damn Good Pies Little Rock Arkansas
Ingredients In This Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe is often called Impossible Chicken Pie because with a Bisquick crust this recipe is impossibly easy.
The ingredients are straightforward and uncomplicated. Youll need Bisquick, milk and one egg for the crust.
The filling is made up of chicken, frozen mixed veggies, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth and green onions.
One great thing about homemade chicken pot pie is that you can easily tweak the recipe depending on what you have in your fridge! No chicken? Add leftover turkey. And any variety of frozen veggies will work just fine. So many options to make this an easy, fridge-friendly recipe that your family and/or guests will love!
Easy Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
This Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie is loaded with savory flavor. Its also impossibly easy to throw together, thanks to the magical Bisquick crust I really love Bisquick recipes so much.
The creamy homemade sauce is the perfect base for the pot pie filling and I love that the recipe doesnt use soup as the base.
The Bisquick topping is a welcome change from a traditional pot pie crust. It kind of reminds me of a cross between chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings.
This recipe is delicious and satisfying comfort food that youll want on your dinner table when the weather turns cold. Its kid tested and approved, too, so its a great family friendly recipe.
You May Like: Tillamook Marionberry Pie Ice Cream Review
Can You Freeze This
Oh yeah, baby! If youve already baked your pot pie, let it cool completely before preparing it for the freezer.
I try to put mine in disposable aluminum pans if I know Im going to freeze it. It goes straight from the freezer to the oven on 375 for about 30 minutes.
You can also prepare and freeze unbaked, but youll have to add about 25 minutes to the baking time.
How To Make Classic Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
Combine the veggies, chopped chicken, and canned soup in a medium bowl, spooning it out onto a pie plate when completely mixed together
In a smaller bowl, combine the crust ingredients together until mixed
Pour the pie crust ingredients onto the veggie and meat filling in the pie plate
Bake at 400 Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown
You May Like: Bean Pie Meme
Why Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie
Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie is a favorite family staple because it is quick, flaky, creamy, warm and so very sensational. Pot pie is seriously a hug in the form of food.
- Prepare Oven: First, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix: Second, in a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, soup, vegetables, and House Seasoning then transfer to a pie dish.
- Topping: Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine baking mix, egg, milk, cheese and melted butter.
- Pour : Finally, pour mixture over top of chicken mixture and spread in an even layer.
- Bake: Lastly, bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.
LOVE EASY RECIPES? TRY THESE FAVORITES
Looking for more? Check out all of the Quick and Easy Recipes on It Is a Keeper.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 This recipe is perfect for a casual Friday night supper with neighbors. It’s also quick to throw together at the last minute for unexpected company, and the ingredients are easy to keep on hand for emergency meals. You can quickly thaw frozen cut-up cooked chicken in the microwave, or use four 10-ounce cans of chunk chicken, drained.
- tip 2 Serve this hearty pie with purchased Caesar salad. For a quick dessert, drizzle caramel ice cream topping over apple slices.
Don’t Miss: What’s In A Bean Pie
How To Make Impossible Chicken Pot Pie Step By Step
Step 1: Gather and prep your ingredients
Ready to make the chicken pot pie
Step 2: Combine vegetables, chicken and soup mix in an ungreased glass/ceramic pie plate.
Adding the pot pie ingredients to a pie dish
Step 3: Stir together Bisquick baking mix, egg and milk until blended.
Mixing the pot pie topping
Step 4: Pour over the chicken and vegetables in the pie plate.
Ready to bake chicken pot pie
Step 5: Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
Fresh baked impossibly easy chicken pot pie
Read Also: 32 Inch Pie Cut Lazy Susan
Chicken Pot Pie Bisquick Ingredient Notes
This awesome pot pie utilizes cooked chicken for convenience. Feel free to toss in leftovers from the grill or even canned cooked chicken. Making a chicken pot pie with Bisquick mix allows you to enjoy a slightly sweet golden flaky crust without a ton of effort.
I love using rotisserie chicken when I make chicken pot pie Bisquick style. The chicken is always juicy, and the seasonings add a little something extra to the finished product.
Plus, Ive got the mix to whip up a tasty Bisquick biscuit recipe to go with my pot pie. Youve gotta have something to sop up that creamy dreamy goodness towards the end!
Bisquick drop biscuits are my personal FAV!
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
Place A Slow Cooker Liner In Slow Cooker Pot
Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the chicken and veggies. Recipe it can also be easily modified to taste by adding potatoes, celery, and removing carrots. Almond milk, for example, has 1 gram per serving. Chicken pot pie with biscuits is just as tasty, but without all of the work! This dairy free chicken pot pie recipe is made without milk and without cream.
Place cooked chicken pot pie filling into a glass baking dish or disposable baking container. Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, 1 tablespoon thyme and 1 teaspoon rosemary. Top with biscuits, cover and freeze. Cook with chicken until chicken is cooked through.
Top with biscuits, cover and freeze. Add chicken to the pot, then add potatoes, onion, carrots and celery. The same amount of filling is used and the same cook time is needed. Use the batter to top the chicken pot pie filling. 1½ cups long grain white rice.
Healthy chicken pot pie healthful pursuit. Brush the biscuits with melted butter and bake until the filling is bubbly and hot and the biscuits are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Beat an egg in a small bowl and brush the top of the pastry with the egg with a pastry brush. Chop the chicken up into bite sized pieces and put it it the skillet to start browning. Place cooked chicken pot pie filling into a glass baking dish or disposable baking container.