Can I Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
If you have made to many mashed potatoes, then this is the perfect meal to use them in. You will need about 4 cups of leftover mashed potatoes to cover the top of the casserole.
All you have to do is prepare the meat mixture and begin layer the meat in the casserole dish. Then top with your leftover mashed potatoes and bake.
Whats In A Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
The sandwich version just has steak and onions, but I decided to boost it a bit for this casserole. I use ground beef instead of steak just because sliced steak can dry out when baked. Also, beef and onions wouldnt really fill out a casserole dish, so I added green bell peppers and mushrooms to the mix as well.
The beef and vegetables combined with cream cheese and provolone are the best flavors.
Simply Recipes / Nick Evans
Boil And Drain The Potatoes
Grab a stockpot and place it on your stove. Add in the diced potatoes. “The potato chunks should be about 1-1.5 inch thick,” Shelbert shares. Cover the potatoes with water and turn the heat up to high. Once the water starts to boil and you see bubbles reaching the top of the surface, you can lower the heat to a rolling boil. Continue cooking the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until you can easily pierce them with a fork. Remove from the heat and strain the excess water through a colander.
Read Also: Docs Pot Pies
Everything You Love About Shepherds Pie But Way Easier
Shepherds pie and its brethren really got their start as a way to use up stewed or roasted meat and leftover vegetables, but it has since come to represent a comforting Sunday night dinner. Its a shame, really, that we dont eat Shepherds pie more regularly, because a chilly Tuesday night is actually when we need this cozy dish the most.
Here, weve figured out how to simplify the recipe without sacrificing the deliciousness of everyones favorite part: the potatoes.
Shepherds Pie Versus Cottage Pie
Can Shepherds Pie Be Frozen
Shepherds pie can be frozen after baking or prior to baking.
- After baking: Bake as stated in the instructions, then cool and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
- Before baking: Assemble everything directed except for the cheese. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
Shepherds pie can be frozen for up to 2 months as long as you have tightly wrapped the dish in saran wrap and foil.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Campbells
Putting The Shepherds Pie Together
Place the meat and its seasonings from the fry pan into the baking dish.
Add the whole kernel corn and spread it around.
Add the creamed corn, and spread it around, too.
Top with the mashed potatoes.
Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, uncovered.
Individual servings to eat on the spot or to freeze for later.
Ingredients For Deviled Eggs:
Note* The printable step by step recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- 6 large hard boiled eggs
- 3 Tablespoons mayonaise
- 1-2 teaspoons dill pickle juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
I always start with 1 teaspoon of pickle juice. Then, I taste the filling. If it needs a little extra saltiness and tanginess, I add another teaspoon of pickle juice.
If you dont have or dont like pickle juice, white vinegar or red wine vinegar are good substitutes. However, you may want to add a pinch of salt to the filling if you use vinegar instead of pickle juice.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie With Campbells Soup
Can I Prepare Shepherds Pie In Advance
Yes, this is a great make ahead dish! You cook it, assemble and leave it ready to bake, or freeze it to make another night.
To Make Ahead: This is a great dish to prep and make ahead a few days in advance. Assemble and cover with foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days ahead, then bake in a preheated oven 400F about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Leftovers: Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, transfer to a freezer safe containers for up to 1 month.
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe couldn’t be any quicker or easier to throw together:
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
Key Steps For Easy Shepherds Pie
- Buy some shortcuts. I actually find chopping to be quite therapeutic, but when it comes to shepherds pie, peeling and chopping carrots is the last thing I want to spend my time on. Instead, opt for a bag of mixed vegetables from the freezer.
- Focus your efforts on the potatoes. You can totally make shepherds pie with store-bought mashed potatoes and you should if youre in an especially big hurry. But in the time it takes to make the beef filling, you can chop four large russets and cook them until tender. The resulting mashed potatoes will have more flavor and a better texture than store-bought.
- Add a yolk to the potatoes for texture and structure. Another benefit to making the mashed potatoes from scratch: you can stir in an egg yolk. Just one yolk makes the mash ultra-creamy, and also helps the potatoes form a crispy crust in the oven.
- Brown the beef in the same skillet youll serve from. This is key to the ease of this recipe. Use a large oven-safe skillet to brown the beef for the pie cast iron is best, if youve got it. Once the beef is brown, youll add your frozen vegetables and a few other ingredients to make a quick gravy, which is the base of the pie.
Assemble The Shepherds Pie
- Top the meat filling with the mashed potatoes.
- Drizzle melted butter and sprinkle some more shredded cheese.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet, that way if anything bubbles over it wont make a mess out of your oven!
- Bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes. If desired, pop under the broiler for some extra color!
- Let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Deviled Eggs:
- Cut the hard boiled eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Pop out the yolks and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the yolks with the back of a fork until no large clumps remain.
- Add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, and pepper to the bowl. Mix it together.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a plastic food storage bag.
- Squeeze and roll the bag around in your fingers until the yolk mixture is completely smooth.
- Cut one corner off of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Pipe the yolk mixture into the holes of the egg whites.
- Serve cold.
Shepherds Pie Or Cottage Pie
The dish is called shepherds pie when it is made with lamb or mutton, and cottage pie when made with beef. Both pies include vegetables and are topped with mashed potatoes.
Traditionally, cooks minced the meat left over from the an evenings meal to make the pies. With the advent of commercial food processing, making the dish starting with raw, ground meat became popular.
You May Like: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe:
Shepherds Pie Recipe is a classic recipe. It just screams comfort food. Shepherds Pie is easily made with ground beef, frozen vegetables and simple seasoning in about 20 minutes. Then is topped with homemade mashed potatoes.
This casserole is perfectly layered with amazing ingredients and every spoonful is loaded with all in one bite.
We make this recipe often as we use what we have on hand. Even your pickiest eater will love this recipe. In just 30 minutes you can have dinner done and it is great to prepare ahead of time.
What Kind Of Veggies To Use
Heres what I love about this easy shepherds pie recipe- you can use any veggies you want! And its extra easy because you just buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies and dump it right in- NO DEFROSTING NEEDED! No chopping, no peeling ahh, life is good.
I almost always use a mixture of peas, carrots, and corn. You can also use green beans, soy beans, broccoli, sweet potato anything you want!
And you can also use fresh veggies if you want. If you do, I recommend giving them a quick sauté or steam to soften them up a bit before adding them to the shepherds pie. Frozen veggies come partially cooked, since theyre blanched before freezing.
Also Check: Bisquick Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Did You Make This Recipe
Please leave a review by clicking on the 5 stars above, in the purple header or tag me on Instagram!
Christinas Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
How This Pie Is Different From Traditional Shepherds Pie
The shepherds pie of my upbringing features a hefty portion of meat, with vegetables playing a supporting role, and a thick topping of buttery mashed potatoes. My updated version bumps up the ratio of vegetables to meat and calls for extra-lean ground beef, which is the leanest option in the butcher case.
For the mashed potatoes, the recipe swaps in olive oil for butter, which means more heart-healthy fats in every bite. The sum total of these swaps is a lighter dish with no shortcuts on flavor.
Don’t Miss: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
What Is Shepards Pie
If youre new to Shepherds Pie , let me be the first to welcome you to your new favourite comfort food. Essentially, its lamb and veggies smothered in a gravy and who doesnt love an excuse for tons and tons of gravy?
All those times you were limited to just a small drizzle on a few slices of roast lamb because there wasnt enough to go around Bah! This is how you get your gravy fix!!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Traditionally, shepherds pie is made with lamb . However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland , beef became a common substitute, especially in America where its more widely available than ground lamb.
- tip 2 Refrigerated mashed potatoes cut a ton of prep time off of this recipe and are good to keep on hand. Try any flavored, refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
- tip 3 Looking for a few more ways to turn a pound of ground beef into dinner? Check out the rest of Bettys kitchen-tested ground beef recipes.
Also Check: Campbell’s Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Assemble The Shepherd’s Pie In A Baking Dish
There are still a few more things you will need to add to the skillet. Begin with the tomato paste, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine with the meat and veggies. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Next, add in the frozen corn and peas. Then, you can transfer the ground beef and vegetable mixture into a baking dish. Put the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef and smooth them out in an even layer.
Tips For Making Shepherds Pie
There are a few stages to making Shepherds Pie, but its a straightforward recipe. Theres just two little things that you dont see in most recipes, little things that bugged me:
Cool the filling before topping with potato: It thickens and makes it easier to spread the potato across the top and it stops the potato weeping into the filling
Creamier mashed potato = easier to spread and just an all round better eating experience. I just dont like dry, very firm mash. When I break through the mash, I want it to be borderline collapsing, rather than being able to cut cleanly through it like cake.
I stress again these are little things that bug me, so feel free to by-pass them! Nagi x
PS One last time Cottage Pie is made with beef. Shepherds Pie is made with lamb!
Also Check: Peach Cobbler With Canned Peaches And Frozen Pie Crust
Shepherds Pie: A Dish Born Out Of Necessity
Now isnt that something I thought to myself. Here we have a famous dish that came about from necessity. Then a train of thought hit me relating to Shepherds Pie that I never thought of
Shepherds pie is of English origin.. The English brought this pie recipe to Trinidad and Tobago during the colonial times . The house slaves may have probably seen how to make it or made it because Im sure some of them may have been cooks or kitchen assistants. The recipe, handed down in this manner, could have been a possible influence to our local pies like fig pie, dasheen pie, yam pie and eddoes pie for example. Hmmm!
Coming to think of it, these pies may have been made out of necessity too, because potatoes may not have been available to slaves. They would have used whatever was available to them, like ground provision. Even though its a thought, that is some real Trinidad and Tobago pie history to ponder on dont you think?
Anyhow, however the history goes we have been making shepherds pie in Trinidad and Tobago for ages. The variations like the fig pie tastes just as well and have become a regular on the menu, especially the Sunday menu, in most homes. Personally, I like the fig pie but then man does not live on fig pie alone so Shepherds pie is welcomed from time to time. Of course, the extra cheese on top is also a plus
The Best Quick & Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe Made With Ground Beef
If youre looking for cheap and easy dinner recipes for the family, this ground beef and potato casserole recipe is always a hit! Even your picky eaters will love this simple meal. Its also loaded with veggies, so consider it healthy enough to serve often.
The idea behind a classic shepherds pie is simply to mix ground beef or lamb with a good hearty tomato based sauce and mixed vegetables, top with mashed potatoes in a casserole dish , and then bake until the potatoes and cheese are well browned.
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company