Crock Pot Shepherds Pie Recipe Card
Now that you know all about shepherds pie it is time to print the recipe or save the recipe. You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for crock pot shepherds pie recipe via the recipe card below.
If you make this recipe and LOVE itplease come back and leave a 5-star rating. It would mean so much to me!
Yes You Can Make It Ahead
Once you have topped the filling with the potatoes and sprinkled the last bit of cheese over it, let it cool completely, then cover it with plastic wrap. You can keep it assembled, but unbaked, in your refrigerator for up to three days.
To bake the pie, remove the plastic wrap and take it straight from the fridge to the oven. Add an extra 15 minutes to the baking time. Check the pie after 30 minutes.
Cover it loosely with foil if the top browns too quickly.
The Wholesome Dish Is One Of The Most Trusted Recipe Websites
As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Ive been trained in food science and recipe development. I personally test all of the recipes on this site. My family members are my taste testers. I dont put anything on this site that my family doesnt love. I have over 8 years of experience creating recipes. Its what I love doing! People keep coming back to the same recipes over and over again because their families love the food. Check out all the amazing reviews on the recipes on this site.
Also Check: Popeyes Apple Pie Recipe
Get The Recipe For Nicole’s Traditional Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
Read The Labels On Your Worcestershire Sauce
Diving into the meat filling, youll see that Worcestershire is a key ingredient. This is a vinegar based sauce made from fermented onions and garlic, along with molasses, tamarind, anchovies, spices and more. Yep, you can say this sauce has an intense depth of flavor, making it perfect to add to meats.
But if youre gluten-free, youll need to be mindful of the brands you buy. Worcestershire often includes a wheat-based soy sauce to get that deep dark brown color. So, I recommend purchasing one of the below brands that are gluten-free .
Read Also: Hardee’s Apple Pie
What Is Shepards Pie
If youre new to Shepherds Pie , let me be the first to welcome you to your new favourite comfort food. Essentially, its lamb and veggies smothered in a gravy and who doesnt love an excuse for tons and tons of gravy?
All those times you were limited to just a small drizzle on a few slices of roast lamb because there wasnt enough to go around Bah! This is how you get your gravy fix!!
Shepherds Pie For Two
Shepherds pie for two, made in an 8×8 inch pan for a smaller portion than the typical cottage pie. Seasoned ground beef mixed with the classic frozen vegetable blend, all topped with incredible mashed potatoes! It’s a hearty dinner for two made in just 45 minutes.
When I first started this site, 11 years ago, I was truly just cooking small batch recipes for myself. It was just me, eating both servings of molten chocolate cakes. I would occasionally share a small batch of cowboy cookies with the dude I was dating , but for the most part, it was just me eating for two.
Since those days, we have grown to a family of 4. Yet, we still find ourselves enjoying a small casserole in an 8×8-inch square dish rather than a 9x 13-inch pan. We grow tired of lasagna too quickly to make a big pan. My husband, my toddler, my baby, and I can finish a small casserole of cottage pie for 2 in one dinner.
If you’re new to shepherds pie for two, it’s ground beef seasoned with tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce that is then thickened with flour. Then, frozen mixed vegetables are tossed in, and everything is poured in a casserole pan and topped with mashed potatoes before being baked.
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Easy Shepherds Pie How To Make Shepherds Pie
Easy Shepherds pie is a classic British dish that any one should try at least once in a lifetime! This Shepherds pie has layers of beef and lamb, vegetables, covered with potato mash. Wonder what to cook for dinner? Want to know how to make Shepherds Pie?
Try this simple and filling meat pie. Turn meat and potatoes into one of your dinners!
What Is Bchamel Sauce
Béchamel, considered a French mother sauce, is a white sauce made with just three basic ingredients. Cook equal parts butter and flour , then whisk in warm milk until the sauce is thicken and creamy.
The trick to get a smooth béchamel is to keep stirring the mixture as it cooks. The ideal consistency is like a pourable pancake batter. If it thickens too much, just add a little more milk while stirring. If its too thin, continue cooking it over the heat until it thickens.
Also Check: Dam Good Pies Fayetteville Ar
Assemble The Shepherd’s Pie In A Baking Dish
There are still a few more things you will need to add to the skillet. Begin with the tomato paste, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine with the meat and veggies. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Next, add in the frozen corn and peas. Then, you can transfer the ground beef and vegetable mixture into a baking dish. Put the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef and smooth them out in an even layer.
Main Dish Recipe Index
Browse main dish recipes that are tried and tested. From meatloaf to chili to chicken recipes. These are great options for the busy family any day of the week!
Check out these great entree recipes.
Hi, Im Amanda Finks
Im a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist living in Zionsville, IN. Im an avid cook, travel nerd, & lover of good food! Im trained in Food Science & recipe development. Its my mission to bring you the BEST recipes your whole family will love! See More.
Don’t Miss: Churches Apple Pie
Shepherd’s Pie Vs Cottage Pie
So What exactly is the difference between shepherd’s pie and cottage pie?
Traditionally shepherd pie is made with lamb mince, whereas cottage pie is made with beef mince. I tend to make and serve both with the same sides and I tend to make both in a similar way.
I have a great recipe for Cottage Pie too.
Easy Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
A shepherds pie is often a catch-all for leftovers, topped with mashed potatoes and baked in a casserole. This vegetarian version omits the ground lamb or beef and replaces it with an array of mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl onions, green beans, and peas, all baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheesy mashed potatoes.
You May Like: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pot Pie
What Is Shepherds Pie
Shepherds Pie is a hearty dish of ground meat in gravy, topped with mashed potatoes. It has origins in the United Kingdom and Ireland, although its exact roots are hard to pinpoint.
This dish most likely originated in the late 1700s and early 1800s, with the name cottage pie. It was a way for the poor to make use of leftovers, such as unused meat from a roast. It also used affordable potatoes for the topping, making it a favorite of frugal housewives.
Since the Irish couldnt typically afford beef, chances are the earliest forms of this pie were made with mutton, which was more affordable than beef or lamb.
It wasnt until 1854 that the term shepherds pie appeared. At first, both names were used interchangeably, but eventually a distinction was made: cottage pie was made with beef and shepherds pie was made with lamb.
Double And Freeze For Later
Shepherds pie is one of those dishes that freeze extremely well, so we suggest you take advantage of your time in the kitchen and double the recipe! Once it cools, add it to a pan , wrap with aluminum foil 3 times, write the details on top, and stick it in the freezer for later.
Prior to reheating, pull your pie out of the freezer and let it thaw for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven and cook your pie as you normally would.
Also Check: Banana Cream Pie Milkshake Sonic
Ingredients For Shepherds Pie
- Ground Beef we used lean beef, or you can substitute with ground lamb.
- Salt and Pepper after several tests, we found this simple seasoning is all that is needed. Thyme and rosemary are commonly added but we found it overpowering in any quantity.
- Onion we used yellow onion, but you can substitute any variety
- Garlic aromatic that enhances the sauce
- All-purpose flour thickens the sauce
- Red Wine use a dry red wine to add rich flavor. Use any dry red wine such as Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet, or Sauvignon
- Beef Broth you can use Chicken broth if that is what you have on hand.
- Tomato paste rounds out the flavor of the sauce
- Worcestershire sauce adds the umami
- Frozen vegetables we use a combination of carrots, peas and corn
How To Freeze Shepherds Pie
In order to make sure that you get a good result when freezing your Shepherds Pie, you have to follow a few steps:
- Make sure to freeze it as soon as possible after cooking to avoid having the liquid separate from the meat.
- Prepare your Shepherds pie according to your preferred recipe but do not put it in the oven to bake.
- If your recipe calls for shredded cheese to be added, add that after thawing.
- Allow the pie to cool to the point where there is no longer any steam coming off the pie.
- Cover the pie in a layer of plastic wrap, and then wrap the entire container in aluminum foil.
- Securing the foil with an elastic will help protect the Shepherds pie from freezer burn.
- Place the Shepherds pie in the freezer until completely frozen before placing any items on top of it to avoid squishing the Shepherds pie.
If youre feeling like trying something different, you should give our lentil Shepherds pie recipe a try.
Don’t Miss: Churchs Chicken Apple Pie
Types Of Recipes On This Site
While I am proud to be a dietitian, I do NOT only eat health food. So, thats not what this site is about. I strive to make the BEST recipes, the recipes you keep coming back to over and over because your whole family loves them. If I can convince one family to cook one of my easy recipes at home instead of going through the fast-food drive through, then I consider that a win!
The recipes on this site tend to fall into one of two categories:
What To Serve With It
- In England, HP Sauce or brown sauce is often served with shepherd’s pie. It’s got tomatoes and tamarind and an addictive tangy taste!
- Shepherd’s pie also pairs well with a side salad. Try this parmesan arugula salad or some mixed greens with this Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
- It’s also fantastic on its own or with a slice of crusty bread.
Read Also: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
Tips To Save You Time
This recipe takes a little more time than the average weeknight meal, but its so worth it. Here are a few tips to save you some time and energy.
- Use a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce: Instead of a roux , I mix the flour and butter in a bowl and whisk it into the sauce to save on cooking time. This is known as beurre manié in French cuisine. Also, I always think its easier to clean a small bowl than a pot!
- Choose large potatoes: Im not a fan of peeling potatoes, but the larger they are, the fewer there are to peel! And the less time I need to spend doing it. If you dont mind the skins, you could skip the peeling altogether, but thats an aesthetic choice. It doesnt affect the overall taste, but perhaps the potatoes wont be quite so melt-in-your-mouth creamy.
- Buy grated cheese: Usually, I like to grate my own cheese because packaged cheese often has added cellulose to keep the shreds from clumping. That said, there are brands that have only a few additives, and I find skipping this one step just moves things along faster.
How To Make The Filling
Read Also: American Pie – Band Camp Trailer