To Assemble A Shepherds Pie
Pro Tip: Shepherds Pie can be made ahead which is perfect for the holidays or busy weeknights. See the Make-ahead section below for tips on refrigerating or freezing the pie.
How To Freeze Healthy Shepherds Pie
Once the shepherds pie is baked, cool completely and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer until fairly firm, about two hours. Then, cover tightly with plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Mark the date on the outside and store in the freezer for up to two months.
When ready to serve, remove the foil and plastic wrap. Use the foil you just removed to loosely cover the pie. Make sure that your casserole dish can go straight from freezer to oven if not, set the casserole in the oven while the oven preheats so that the dish warms slowly.
Bake the casserole for an hour, or until the pie is hot all the way through. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow the top to brown.
The Best Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Best Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe An easy chocolate chip cookie recipe made in minutes. These are the best homemade chocolate chip cookies ever!
Theres nothing better than chocolate chip cookies from scratch! A warm, fresh chocolate chip cookie with a big glass of milk is comfort food at its finest.
Ive tried a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years. I keep finding that many of the recipes have at least one long wait time. They require you to either wait a couple of hours to bring the butter and eggs to room temperature, or wait for the dough to chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Sometimes both.
Im too impatient! I want to be able to relax on my couch and suddenly decide I need some homemade, soft, and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Then, have them baking in the oven in just a few minutes!
Read Also: Shabazz Bean Pies
What Kind Of Veggies To Use
Heres what I love about this easy shepherds pie recipe- you can use any veggies you want! And its extra easy because you just buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies and dump it right in- NO DEFROSTING NEEDED! No chopping, no peeling ahh, life is good.
I almost always use a mixture of peas, carrots, and corn. You can also use green beans, soy beans, broccoli, sweet potato anything you want!
And you can also use fresh veggies if you want. If you do, I recommend giving them a quick sauté or steam to soften them up a bit before adding them to the shepherds pie. Frozen veggies come partially cooked, since theyre blanched before freezing.
What’s The Difference Between Shepherd’s Pie And Cottage Pie
Shepherd’s pie was originally called cottage pie back in the 18th century in Ireland and the United Kingdom as a way to describe a dish made by frugal cottage dwellers to use up leftovers. These days, the two terms are often used interchangeably, but in general, shepherd’s pie is made with lamb and cottage pie is made with beef. The mashed potato topper could be replaced with mashed turnips or other root vegetables, or even with a pastry crust .
Related: Our Top 10 Shepherd’s Pie Recipes
Recommended Reading: Dam Good Pies
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Part of what makes this Shepherd’s Pie recipe easy is the fact that the ingredients are fully cooked before your layer them together in the baking dish, so youre just heating them up until hot and aromatic.
- tip 2 Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese onto mashed potatoes before baking for a cheesy topped Shepherd’s Pie.
- tip 3 A main-dish pie is a great way to use that extra pound of ground beef. Try a few varieties of frozen vegetables you have stashed in the freezer for a different twist on this Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- tip 4 If you arent sure about the volume of your casserole dish, pour in measured amounts of water to be sure you wont overflow it with the pie filling.
- tip 5 Ground beef is the usual, budget-friendly go-to for weeknight meals, but stock up on other ground meats when theyre on sale. Ground turkey, chicken, or pork would be great in this easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Cook the ground meat with the onion until thoroughly cooked continue with recipe.
- tip 6 Refrigerated mashed potatoes are easy and nice to have on hand. Try any flavored refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
To Make Mashed Potatoes
In case you don’t already have leftover mashed potatoes on hand, it’s simple to quickly whip up a small pot of them.
I feel the need to note that you should cook your potatoes in an uncoated, stainless steel pot if you wish to mash directly in the pot. If you boil your potatoes in a coated, non-stick-type pot, don’t mash your potatoes in that pot using a metal potato masher or you’ll scratch it.
Read Also: Maud Pie Plush
Shepherd’s Pie With Ground Beef
Traditionally, Shepherd’s Pie is made with ground lamb . The ground beef version is called Cottage Pie. Alas, over the years, the names have blurred. So when most people here search for a Shepherd’s Pie recipe, they’re anticipating ground beef.
And since I always have a freezer full of ground beef, I always make my Easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe using said ground beef. But I give you the option of making it with either ground beef or ground lamb! Just know that if you make it with ground beef, it’s technically called Cottage Pie.
And know that if I don’t make that disclaimer, the internet police will come get me.
Tips For Making Shepherds Pie
There are a few stages to making Shepherds Pie, but its a straightforward recipe. Theres just two little things that you dont see in most recipes, little things that bugged me:
Cool the filling before topping with potato: It thickens and makes it easier to spread the potato across the top and it stops the potato weeping into the filling
Creamier mashed potato = easier to spread and just an all round better eating experience. I just dont like dry, very firm mash. When I break through the mash, I want it to be borderline collapsing, rather than being able to cut cleanly through it like cake.
I stress again these are little things that bug me, so feel free to by-pass them! Nagi x
PS One last time Cottage Pie is made with beef. Shepherds Pie is made with lamb!
You May Like: Betty Crocker Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Tips To Save You Time
This recipe takes a little more time than the average weeknight meal, but its so worth it. Here are a few tips to save you some time and energy.
- Use a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce: Instead of a roux , I mix the flour and butter in a bowl and whisk it into the sauce to save on cooking time. This is known as beurre manié in French cuisine. Also, I always think its easier to clean a small bowl than a pot!
- Choose large potatoes: Im not a fan of peeling potatoes, but the larger they are, the fewer there are to peel! And the less time I need to spend doing it. If you dont mind the skins, you could skip the peeling altogether, but thats an aesthetic choice. It doesnt affect the overall taste, but perhaps the potatoes wont be quite so melt-in-your-mouth creamy.
- Buy grated cheese: Usually, I like to grate my own cheese because packaged cheese often has added cellulose to keep the shreds from clumping. That said, there are brands that have only a few additives, and I find skipping this one step just moves things along faster.
How This Pie Is Different From Traditional Shepherds Pie
The shepherds pie of my upbringing features a hefty portion of meat, with vegetables playing a supporting role, and a thick topping of buttery mashed potatoes. My updated version bumps up the ratio of vegetables to meat and calls for extra-lean ground beef, which is the leanest option in the butcher case.
For the mashed potatoes, the recipe swaps in olive oil for butter, which means more heart-healthy fats in every bite. The sum total of these swaps is a lighter dish with no shortcuts on flavor.
Don’t Miss: Lactaid Peanut Butter Pie
Shepherds Pie Vs Cottage Pie
When Shepherds Pie first originated, it was made with lamb. It has since evolved, especially in America, to include a variety of red meats . Per Wikipedia:
Shepherds pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are ground red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie In A Pressure Cooker
When I first came across this recipe, I was puzzled. Maybe I hadn’t had my coffee yet, but I imagined tossing ground beef, veggies, and a few whole potatoes into the Instant Pot and then lifting off the lid to reveal a table-ready Shepherd’s Pie topped with mashed potatoes.
In reality, there are a few more steps involved — though not many!
Coco has you start by prepping the filling using the Sauté function on the Instant Pot. Then you place a tall steamer rack in the pot and place the peeled potatoes on top.
Then the lid goes on and everything pressure cooks together. At the end of cooking, the potatoes are perfectly cooked and ready to be mashed with milk.
For a traditional casserole-style shepherd’s pie, you transfer the filling to an 8×8 pan, top with the mashed potatoes, and broil until the top is golden. You can also serve this in bowls by scooping out some filling and topping it with a generous dollop of mashed potatoes. So easy!
You May Like: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe
Assemble The Shepherd’s Pie In A Baking Dish
There are still a few more things you will need to add to the skillet. Begin with the tomato paste, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine with the meat and veggies. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Next, add in the frozen corn and peas. Then, you can transfer the ground beef and vegetable mixture into a baking dish. Put the mashed potatoes on top of the ground beef and smooth them out in an even layer.
News Result For Disney Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
15 of the best and easiest Disney theme-park dessert recipes you can make at homeYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
I made Ina Garten’s ‘California BLT’ and the easy sandwich was the perfect lunchYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
These 8 future chefs sauteed, skewered and served dishes at Kennewick competitionYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
13 Recipes From the April 2022 Issue of Real SimpleYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Celebrity chefs bid farewell to Kathie Lee with 3 amazing recipesYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Shake your shillelagh: 10 traditional Irish recipes to enjoy this Saint Patrick’s dayYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
From steak and chips PIE to gooey chocolate puds: our favourites from the M& S Gastropub rangeYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Sticky toffee pudding is the cream of the crop as it’s voted our favourite dessert… beating chocolate eclairs and apple crumble to the top spotYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
O.C. Fun Guide To St. Patrick’s Day Fests & Dining Specials 2022Your browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Recommended Reading: Docs Pot Pies
Gather The Ingredients For Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe requires a fair amount of ingredients, so be sure to check for items that you may have at home already. Start with 2 pounds of potatoes and some butter. In addition, you will need to get salt, pepper, and milk. The recipe also calls for extra virgin olive oil and a few things in the produce section like an onion, carrots, and garlic.
For the meat, be sure to pick up some ground beef. You will also need a few spices like thyme and rosemary. Next, grab a little flour and tomato paste. Then, throw some beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into your car. You will also need to swing by the frozen section for corn and peas.
How Long To Boil Eggs For Deviled Eggs:
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Place the pot over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. This can take between 7-12 minutes, depending on the size of your pot and how much water you use. To speed things up, I use hot tap water and keep the lid on the pot until the water is boiling.
- Carefully and gently add the desired amount of large eggs to the boiling water. A mesh strainer works well for gently lowering more than one egg at a time into the hot water.
- Boil the eggs for 13-14 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary so that the water doesnt boil over.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Drain the hot water from the pot while keeping the eggs in the pot. You could use the lid of the pot or a strainer to help keep the eggs in the pot as you drain the hot water.
- Add cold water to the pot until the eggs are covered in cold water. Pour that water out. Repeat with more cold water.
- Add 2 cups of ice to the pot. Gently stir the eggs. If the ice melts, add more until the water stays ice cold.
- Let the eggs rest in the ice cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the cold water. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week until you are ready to use them.
- Gently crack the egg shells and peel the eggs.
Recommended Reading: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pie