Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- Pro-tip make the piecrust the night before, shape into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. It gives the gluten strands in the dough time to relax and makes it so much easier to roll out and limits quite a bit of shrinkage. It also helps make pie day a little less stressful with one task already being completed.
- Work on a well yet evenly floured surface so your crust does not stick. You can always use a fine dry pastry brush to remove excess flour.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spritz your sliced apples with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Layer the apple pie filling as best you can into the pie crust with the apple pieces laying down.
- For a change of pace add finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the crumb topping.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and take this recipe over the top.
- Fruit pies are best baked on a baking sheet since the pie filling needs to bubble for 6-10 minutes in order to set properly.
- If the pie browns too fast cover loosely with a piece of aluminum foil.
- It is best to refrigerate the crumb topping for 15 minutes so the mixture forms into crumbs more easily and spreads over the top with little effort.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and store on the counter for 2 days. Then refrigerate for up to 2 more days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
Can I Make This Apple Pie Recipe Ahead Of Time
Were all about making life and meals easy here at The Real Food Dietitians, and that includes dessert, too! For a done-for-you meal, you can make this pie up one to two days before you plan to serve it. Store it in the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature about an hour before serving . If youre following our Done-For-You Thanksgiving Menu, we suggest getting your pie making out of the way early. Make this pie the day before a big gathering then warm it in the oven shortly before its time for dessert.
The Best Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
A Dutch apple pie with a perfectly cooked apple filling, flaky crust, and tons of crumble topping. The perfect fall dessert!
Apple picking has begun, and my pie-loving heart is so happy! It is no secret that I love sky-high pies with all kinds of buttery crusts, crumbles, and streusel toppings. This recipes topping is so incredible it now outranks one from a favorite local bakery.
Of course this boasts a flaky, buttery base, crisp apples, a creamy filling, and those crumbs! Oh, those crumbs! Its truly a pie lovers dream and I am so excited to share it with you!
Recommended Reading: 8 Glass Pie Plate
What Baking Supplies Do I Need
First and foremost, you want to be sure you have a quality pie plate. Glass is great for fruit pies, as you can see exactly what your crust is up to!
You will also want some pie weights , as well as a colander for draining the cooked apples . A food processor is preferred for making the crust, but if you dont have one, a fork and some elbow grease will do!
Apple Crumble Pie Topping:
In a small mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Mix until combined.
Add the cold butter and use a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands to mix until the batter is combined and crumbly.
Transfer your apple pie filling into your cooled pie crust and spread it with a spoon, fork, or spatula to smooth it out evenly.
Spread the crumble on top of the apple pie filling and try to cover all the apple pie filling.
Bake in a 200c preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 190c and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden brown and the apples are bubbly.
Read Also: Key Lime Pie Company Key West
How Do You Keep Crumble Topping From Getting Soggy
Butter will keep your crumble nice and crisp after baking, dont skimp on this ingredient. If your crumble seems too dry and powdery then mix in melted butter a tablespoon at a time until you have nice little clumps. If your crumble is one big blob after mixing then the butter may have been a bit too warm. Transfer to the refrigerator for about five minutes and then break apart into crumbles using your hands or a fork.
Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- 1¼cupsall-purpose flour,plus more for rolling out the dough
- 3tablespoonsvegetable shortening,chilled
- 4tablespoonscold unsalted butter,cubed
- 4-5tablespoonsice water
- 5large Granny Smith apples,about 2½ pounds
- 4large McIntosh apples,about 2 pounds
- ¼cupgranulated sugar
- ½teaspoonground cinnamon
- Pinchof salt
- ½cupheavy cream
- 1¼cupsall-purpose flour
- cuplight brown sugar
- cupgranulated sugar
- 7tablespoonsunsalted butter,melted
Also Check: Pienation
How To Bake This Apple Crumb Pie From Frozen
You can actually bake a fruit pie directly from the freezer. In my opinion, doing this is even better than a fruit pie baked fresh. The reason is that the crust has a chance to cook first before the filling does, so you can ensure you have a beautifully crisp crust and perfectly cooked filling.
Make Sure To Thinly Slice Your Apples
I listed important notes in the recipe about the apples. One of the best ways to ruin an apple pie is to serve it up with crispy apples that havent baked through. This happens when the apples arent pre-cooked or sliced thin enough.
Yeah, I learned that the hard way with the first apple pie I ever made. Biting into crispy apples in an apple pie just ruins it.
No, you dont want mushy apples. You want apples that hold up well , but at the same time soft, tender apples are a must in my book.
With that said, be sure to thin slice the apples here which will take a bit of slicing and patience to get through them all but your end result will be oh so worth it!
Don’t Miss: Peach Cobbler With Frozen Pie Crust
Grab Your Copy Of Cheesecake Love Here
This Apple Cheesecake is absolutely perfect nestled in a pie crust and topped with a crumb topping. While it does contain a few steps, I guarantee you that the effort is worth it!
The key to any recipe is planning and preparation assembling your ingredients ahead of time and completing each step beforehand saves both time and energy!
When it comes time to put this apple cheesecake pie together, everything is ready and waiting.Since I make SO many apple desserts, I have a couple of apple tips to share with you!
How To Make Apple Slab Pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Shape crust: Roll and transfer pie crust to jelly roll pan and decorate as desired. .
- Chill until ready to fill.
- Make crumble topping: mix sugars, quick outs, flour and salt and cut butter into mixture.
- Transfer topping to refrigerator.
- Make the apple filling: whisk sugars, flour, cinnamon nutmeg and salt.
- Toss apples with lemon then toss with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Assemble pie: Pour and spread apples over crust layer.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over top.
- Bake in oven: Bake in preheated oven 33 38 minutes, until apples are tender .
- Remove from oven and let cool until warm.
- Top with glaze if desired or serve with vanilla ice cream.
You May Like: Bean Pie My Brother
A Classic Dessert For Good Reason
- Its literally as easy as pie.
- It doesnt need any fancy ingredients, its a simple classic.
- The tips below ensure perfection every time.
- A flaky crust, tender apples that are just the right amount of sweet.
- Works perfectly with store-bought or homemade pie crust.
- Its perfect. Always.
Should You Use Raw Apples In Pie
So this recipe, unlike my classic apple pie recipe is baked with the apples still raw, as opposed to cooking them before baking.
I like baking the raw apples in this recipe because as the apples cook they release liquid, and the crumb topping absorbs some of that juice, which creates a nice, thick crumb crust. The DOWNSIDE to this, is because they release liquid the bottom crust can get a little soggy.
Don’t Miss: 8 Pyrex Pie Plate
How Many Apples Are Needed For A Pie
This will vary based on the recipe youre using and the topping, this particular recipe uses a delicious crumb topping so the apples are really piled sky-high.
For this apple crumb pie, youll need 8 medium Granny Smith apples which will be approximately 6-7 cups of apples. Always be sure to peel your apples for pie as the skin can become tough and chewy once baked.
Pro Tips For The Best Apple Crumble Pie
- The key to avoiding a soggy pie is to really cook the liquid down to a caramel before adding it back to the apples. Go for a thicker consistency where the water has mostly evaporated, it will thin out a bit after mixing and baking with the apples.
- Try adding a teaspoon or two of cinnamon to the dry ingredients of your crust. Youll end up with a nice depth or flavor and beautiful color.
- You can always toss an extra apple into the filling, its better to have more filling than you need than not enough!
- If your crumble turns into one big blob after mixing, pop it into the fridge to chill for a few minutes then break it up into pieces and set aside.
- TENT that crust during baking. You need to cover the edge with foil so it doesnt burn while you wait for the center and bottom to get nice and golden.
Read Also: Grape Pie Recipe Easy
Tips For Making The Best Apple Crumble Pie:
- Use COLD butter, we suggest cutting the butter into cubes and then placing it in the fridge, so when you are ready to use it, it will be very cold.
- Use fresh apples. We find making apple crumble pie with fresh apples instead of canned apples or canned apple pie filling is the best way to make apple crumble pie. The naturally sweet and tart flavors that the apples naturally have makes apple pie irresistible.
- Freeze the unbaked pie for about 20 minutes before baking, this step stops the pie crust from browning too quickly.
- Place the pie in the lower third of the oven to stop the pie from browning too quickly.
- Dont skip brushing the apple pie with egg wash.
- Make sure that your apple pieces are about the same size, this step ensures that the apples bake evenly.
- For the crumble, make sure that your butter is cold! you dont want a big blob, you want a crumbly mixture.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature before serving. This step is very important. If you slice your pie when its hot, you will have a loose pie. For a thick filling let the pie cool to room temperature, this step allows the apple pie filling to thicken up.
This Pie Is All About Texture
I love the texture of this pie. The crumble is a lovely golden color and highlights the delicateness of the topping. That lovely pinched border is perfect to hold this Homemade Apple Pie with Oatmeal Crumble Topping. However the aroma of this pie is the clencher. Nothing like baked apples with all the spices and sugar and the smell of a buttery pie crust, so yummy!
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
How To Make Apple Crumb Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and slice up the apples.
- Put the apple slices in a large bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing and turning brown.
- In a medium bowl, stir the white sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Once its well mixed, pour the dry ingredients over the apples and toss everything together until the slices are completely and evenly coated.
- If you want to go the walnut and raisin route, stir them in now.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup brown sugar together in a separate small bowl. Cut in unsalted butter until the mixture is crumbly. This is your crumb topping. Sprinkle it over the apple filling and cover the top of the pie loosely with aluminum foil.
- Put the pie in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and put the pie back in until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Take the pie out of the oven and let it sit on a wire rack or baking sheet until it is just over room temperature.
- Serve it up and watch people fight over the last slice.
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream: serve up apple crumb pie with a side of homemade ice cream and your guests may end up licking their plates clean.
- Easy Whipped Cream: whipped cream is much easier to make than you may think and adding a spoonful to the top of your pie is a great way to dress it up.
Tips And Tricks For Making The Best Apple Crumb Pie
- Use a storebought pie crust or use your favorite pie crust recipe! Using a premade crust makes it a lot easier and quicker but if I have the time I like to make a homemade crust.
- Peeling the apples is important because the peel becomes chewy and tough once baked.
- Dont take a shortcut and just dump the dry filling ingredients on top of the apples. Make sure that the dry filling ingredients are thoroughly combined before adding them to the apples.
- Let the apples sit for at least 15 minutes so they start to release their juices. This will help the filling to thicken later.
- Bake the apple pie on a parchment-covered baking sheet. The apple filling tends to bubble up and its so much easier to just throw away some parchment paper than to clean the bottom of the oven.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing so that the starch and the apples can do their job of thickening the filling. If you slice it too early it will crumble more and the filling wont be as thick.
Read Also: Church’s Chicken Spicy Sprinkles