Assemble The Pot Pies
- Distribute the filling evenly among six ovenproof bowls or ramekins that are 2 to 3 inches deep and hold at least 2 cups.
Let the dough soften slightly at room temperature, about 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/8-inch-thick rectangle. With a round cookie cutter , cut 6 dough circles that are slightly wider than the inner diameter of the bowls . Cut one small X in the center of each circle.
Top each bowl of stew with a dough round. With your fingertips, gently press the dough down into the edge of the stew, so that it flares up the sides of the bowl.
Freeze Chicken Pot Pie After Baking
- Let pies cool completely after baking.
- Wrap in foil, then freezer-safe plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer for up to three months. Preheat by unwrapping the pies, and placing directly in the oven at 375°F, allow to come to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 35 minutes.
- If the crust starts to brown too much, cover with foil.
How To Cook Costco Chicken Pot Pie In The Oven
Cooking Frozen Costco Chicken pies will take about 60 min in the oven at 400°F. For thawed pies, it will take 45-50 min.
For better results, check the internal temperatures it should reach 160°F.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Biscuits
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
Yummy Variations For Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Use a homemade chicken gravy instead of the cans of store-bought gravy.
- Use cooked turkey instead of the chicken. I love making turkey pot pies with leftover turkey and gravy from Thanksgiving.
- To make a vegetarian version you can use chickpeas instead of chicken, use a vegetarian gravy and a vegetarian pie crust
- Add in 1 cup of heavy cream to make the recipe creamier
- Mix it up by adding in other favorite vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, celery, green beans, corn, mixed frozen veggies, etc.
- Use diced beef instead of chicken, and change chicken gravy to a beef gravy for a beef pot pie.
- Instead of the chicken pot pie with Rotisserie chicken you can substitute baked, slow-cooked, sauteed or instant pot cooked chicken.
Recommended Reading: Easy Bean Pie Recipe
Assemble The Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Pour the filling into the bottom pie crust. Roll out the top pie crust and place it on the pie. Pinch the edges closed and cut slits in the top. These will allow the pie to vent and cook properly. Whisk together the egg and water and brush the top of the pie. If you want the best chicken pot pie, it has to have that beautiful golden crust. The egg wash on top helps create that.
How To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie In An Air Fryer
Reheating your chicken pot pie in an air fryer is, to tell the truth, the oddest way to do it. It definitely isnt conventional, but it still will get the job done.
It is better to employ any other method you find listed above, but if it is not possible, or if you do not have a microwave or an oven, an air fryer used properly will do the trick!
This method is quite effective as it will give you a warm meal relatively quickly and will reduce the washing down to a minimum.
Here are the steps to reheat chicken pot pie in the air fryer:
Also Check: The Profit Key Lime Pie Full Episode
The Size Of The Butter Makes A Difference
To make the texture flaky, cut the butter into ½-inch cubes, then break them into the flour, so that they resemble the size of a pea, with smaller pieces incorporated throughout. When rolled, the larger pieces turn into buttery discs that separate the dough into flaky layers during baking.
Pin this recipe to save for later
Reheating Chicken Pot Pie In The Oven
If you want to reheat a chicken pot pie, always opt for an oven. It is simply the best way to achieve results as close as possible to the original taste in the beginning.
We know that the oven is not the most practical when you are in a hurry, and even if you have fewer pieces of pie, it is not the most cost-effective, but it will certainly give the finest results.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Overview: How To Make Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
For the full recipe and lots of step-by-step photos to walk you through the process, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Craving a different variation? This biscuit vegetable pot pie isnt your typical classic pot pie recipe, but its quicker and easier.
Should I Thaw A Frozen Pot Pie Before Baking
You can make, bake, cool and freeze. Or you can make, assemble and freeze. Either way when youre ready to cook, theres no need to thaw just add a good 15-20 minutes of extra baking time. Another way is to just make the filling, cool it and store in freezer-quality bags.
Read Also: Navy Bean Pie Recipes
Preheat The Oven To 300 F
The key to good heating of the chicken pot pie is to heat it at a medium-high temperature. It is important that the interior is heated as much as the exterior of the pie.
If you put it on too high a temperature, the crust will be hot and will start to burn, and the inner stuffing will remain lukewarm. So, set the oven to a moderate 300 degrees, no more than that, and let it heat up.
I Would Like To Make This In A Larger Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Dish For More Of A Family Style Meal How Can I Do That
I also go back and forth making this in a larger version or individuals. All you need to do to make this into a larger pie is double the filling recipe and pour it into a 9×2 baking dish.
The crust recipe is still the perfect amount for the larger version. Instead of making smaller rounds for minis, are going to just roll it out into a large circle and carefully place it on top.
The timing, however, might be off a little, bake it for 35 minutes and slightly longer to brown the crust if needed.
Read Also: Hershey Creme Pie Recipe
A Thick And Creamy Filling
The ideal consistency of your filling when you’re cooking it on the stovetop and before going into the pot pies should be creamy and thickened. It will thicken a little more in the oven as the pot pies bake, so at this point, you want it to be slightly less thick than the finished dish.
If at this point your filling seems soupy, like heavy cream, let it simmer until it thickens up enough coat the back of a wooden spoon. If it seems like it’s not thickening up as fast as you like, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the sauce, whisk in a tablespoon or two of flour until no more lumps remain, and then whisk this mixture into the skillet.
If it seems like the filling thickened up too much and it starting to seem stiff, then whisk in a little broth or water to thin it out again.
Bake For 20 Minutes On A Given Temperature
Put the chicken pot pie in the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes. The goal is to heat the entire inner filling well and evenly, not to keep it lukewarm.
It takes another 10 minutes to get it all done, but now youre going to boost the temperature a bit to get that crunchy brown-gold-colored crust.
Read Also: Key Lime Pie Co
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Baking Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie should generally be baked, uncovered, in the center of a 350 degree oven for 30 40 minutes. The internal temperature should be bubbly, reaching 160 degrees, and the top should be golden brown.
This recipe fits comfortably into a 10.25 cast iron skillet, but it can also squeeze into a 9 pie plate. Since the filling comes right up to the edge, there is a potential for it to bubble over and make a mess. Make things easier on yourself by placing a baking sheet on the rack below your chicken pot pie to catch any drips, no matter which size pan you use. We all know its easier to clean a baking sheet than to clean the oven.
If you notice that the top is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Also Check: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Lets Talk About About Pie Crust
- I love buying pre-made pie crusts from the stores, as they are flaky, tasty and just so much easier than making from scratch. My favorite is the Pillsbury brand found in the refrigerated section. I dont like the frozen crusts in pie tins as much because youll need to flip over one of them for your top crust, thaw it and roll it out a bit to get it to work.
- You could make your chicken pot pie crust from scratch! Id recommend Crazy For Crusts all-butter pie crust as it has turned out perfectly for me every time. The Gracious Pantry has a whole wheat pie crust recipe and What The Forks Gluten-free Pie Crust is amazing as well.
- If you prefer a biscuit dough crust you could take 1 cup of my homemade Bisquick copycat recipe, add 1/2 cup of milk and one egg, mix that together and spread it over one 9-inch pie. Using my filling recipe below youd bake it at 400°F for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Puff Pastry works for an easy pie crust too! Thaw it first, then either cut it into strips, weave it or simply place it on the top. Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
- If youre not a huge fan of pie crust, only add it to the top of the pie pan instead of top and bottom.
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
You May Like: Natchitoches Meat Pies For Sale
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.