How To Make Deviled Eggs:
- Cut the hard boiled eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Pop out the yolks and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the yolks with the back of a fork until no large clumps remain.
- Add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, and pepper to the bowl. Mix it together.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a plastic food storage bag.
- Squeeze and roll the bag around in your fingers until the yolk mixture is completely smooth.
- Cut one corner off of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Pipe the yolk mixture into the holes of the egg whites.
- Serve cold.
My Easy Shepherd’s Pie
To make my Shepherd’s Pie, I start by peeling and cubing my potatoes to make the mashed potato topping. I cook them potatoes in just enough water to cover them completely, plus about an inch in a heavy bottomed sauce pan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. I melt my butter in a saucepan and then add in my half and half. You’ll heat your butter and half and half until just simmering, making sure not to allow it to overheat or curdle.
Once they have become fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, I drain them well and then add them back into the Dutch oven. I mash them using a potato masher until smooth and then slowly stir in my warmed half and half and butter and continue to mash until creamy. If you are including roasted garlic or the cheddar cheese , then stir that into your mashed potatoes at this point along with your salt and pepper. In a pinch, you can also use Stone House Seasoning if you are short on time for roasting your garlic. It works like a charm!
Meanwhile, you will also want to be preparing the meat filling for your Shepherd’s Pie.
Top your meat filling with the mashed potato topping. Top with pieces of butter and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Shepherd’s Pie Vs Cottage Pie
So What exactly is the difference between shepherd’s pie and cottage pie?
Traditionally shepherd pie is made with lamb mince, whereas cottage pie is made with beef mince. I tend to make and serve both with the same sides and I tend to make both in a similar way.
I have a great recipe for Cottage Pie too.
Also Check: The Key Lime Pie Company
What Is Shepards Pie
If youre new to Shepherds Pie , let me be the first to welcome you to your new favourite comfort food. Essentially, its lamb and veggies smothered in a gravy and who doesnt love an excuse for tons and tons of gravy?
All those times you were limited to just a small drizzle on a few slices of roast lamb because there wasnt enough to go around Bah! This is how you get your gravy fix!!
Easy Shepherds Pie Variations:
Want to customize your shepherds pie recipe? Feel free to:
- Make it vegetarian. To make a vegetarian shepherds pie, just omit the meat and double the amount of mushrooms. And of course, use veggie stock instead of beef stock, and vegan Worcestershire sauce .
- Make it vegan. Do the above, plus use vegan butter, milk and cream cheese in your mashed potatoes.
- Make it gluten-free. Nix the flour and whisk 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch together with the stock before adding it to the sauce. Also be sure to double-check, as always, that all of your other ingredients are certified GF.
- Use sweet potatoes: For an amazing sweet+savory combo, feel free to use sweet potatoes instead of Russets or Yukon golds in your mashed potatoes. So good!!!
Also Check: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
How Long To Cook Shepherd’s Pie At 350
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is such a delicious, comforting dish! Made with meat and vegetables and topped with creamy mashed potatoes, it is a favorite year-round.
This hearty, scrumptious and satisfying Shepherd’s Pie recipe is such a comfort food dish! While it’s traditional to enjoy during St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, it can be enjoyed year round!
A while back, I shared a link I loved that gives the entire history of St. Patrick’s Day and the folklore that surrounds it. After reading it, I felt a bit more educated about the holiday Before, I just knew I should wear green and made my Shepherd’s Pie due to our family tradition.
Although, it’s a family tradition that I love and won’t be changing anytime soon. We adore Shepherd’s Pie throughout the year, but on St. Patrick’s Day, it is essential.
Can I Freeze Shepherds Pie
Yes! Shepherds pie freezes very well. Assemble as directed but do not bake. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap and then top with a layer of heavy duty foil. Freeze for up to a month. Let the shepherds pie thaw overnight in the fridge before removing the foil and plastic and cooking according to directions .
- Prep Time:30 min
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Cottage Pie Vs Shepherds Pie
Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Its often confused with Shepherds pie because, up to the 20th century, the names were used interchangeably. Now, cottage pie and shepherds pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with. Cottage pie has historically been made with any type of meat but is most commonly made with ground beef where Shepherds pie is made with lamb. Both pies are cooked with vegetables and gravy and baked under a layer of mashed potatoes.
For Shepherds Pie, simply substitute ground lamb for the meat in the recipe and keep everything else the same!
Storage Freezing And Reheating Instructions
- Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze cooled Shepherds Pie in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat from chilled in the microwave until warmed through, or reheat from frozen in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbling.
Read Also: The Original Key Lime Pie Company
To Make Beef Filling :
- Saute veggies: Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add onion, carrots, celery and saute until nearly soft, about6 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Cook beef: Add ground beef in chunks and cook and break up beef until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. If you find theres lots of excess fat then dab some up using balled up paper towels held by tongs .
- Add thickeners: Add flour and tomato paste and saute 1 minute.
- Pour in liquids, let reduce: Pour in red wine, beef broth, Worcestershire, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a simmer stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until reduced by about 2/3 , about 8 10 minutes.
- Add remaining greens: Stir in peas and parsley and heat through, about 1 minute. Season filling with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble shepherds pie: Spread beef filling into an even layer. Dollop spoonfuls of mashed potatoes evenly over top then spread into an even layer .
- Run a fork along top in rows to create a wavy pattern.
- Bake: Move oven rack about 5-inches below broiler and preheat broiler to high. Transfer to oven and let broil until golden brown on top about 4 6 minutes .
- Rest: Let rest a few minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Assemble The Shepherds Pie And Bake
Serve them warm right out of the oven.
No matter how you serve the Shepherds Pie, in the end, you will have a rich deep flavorful stew.
Yes, you can make these ahead. Bring to room temp before baking.
Or make the Shepherds Pie in stages, making the stew ahead and potatoes on the day of, heating filling up before filling the baking dishes.
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
Recommended Reading: The Profit Key Lime Pie Full Episode
How To Make Shepherds Pie:
To make this Irish shepherds pie recipe, simply:
Read The Labels On Your Worcestershire Sauce
Diving into the meat filling, youll see that Worcestershire is a key ingredient. This is a vinegar based sauce made from fermented onions and garlic, along with molasses, tamarind, anchovies, spices and more. Yep, you can say this sauce has an intense depth of flavor, making it perfect to add to meats.
But if youre gluten-free, youll need to be mindful of the brands you buy. Worcestershire often includes a wheat-based soy sauce to get that deep dark brown color. So, I recommend purchasing one of the below brands that are gluten-free .
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
The Best Shepherds Pie Recipe
I made shepherds pie FIVE times this week to perfect it and Id have to say I dont know that it could get any better! This has honestly got to be the coziest meal-in-one out there. And while it may not be the fastest easiest dinner its worth every minute of prep and patience!
Hearty ground beef is browned and seasoned with aromatics including fresh veggies and herbs, then red wine and beef broth are added and its simmered and reduced to a light gravy. And then comes my favorite part its topped and finished with the most heavenly mashed potatoes!
Suggestions And Substitutions For Shepherds Pie
A true shepherds pie is actually done with lamb, not beef . Cottage pie is the term traditionally applied to one made with beef.
Regardless of what you call it, you can make this with basically any type of ground meat you like, knowing that they range widely in fat content. Ground lamb, turkey, bison, venison, and beefor half and half of any of the aboveare all fair game.
Nothing beats fresh vegetables and cheese youve grated on the spot to make this recipe, but if youre short on time, here are a few shortcuts:
- Swap in frozen mixed vegetables for the carrots, celery, and peas. Use two and a half cups and add them to the dish when it instructs you to add the peas.
- Use pre-shredded sharp cheddar. Take a gander at the ingredients, since some brands use additives to keep the cheese from clumping. Less is more, if you ask me.
- Buy screw-top wine. Every little bit counts when it comes to saving time. Plus, fussing with a bottle opener isnt my favorite pastime. You dont need fancy wine for this anyway, just something dry and drinkable.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Meringue Pie
Easy Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
A shepherds pie is often a catch-all for leftovers, topped with mashed potatoes and baked in a casserole. This vegetarian version omits the ground lamb or beef and replaces it with an array of mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl onions, green beans, and peas, all baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheesy mashed potatoes.
Main Dish Recipe Index
Browse main dish recipes that are tried and tested. From meatloaf to chili to chicken recipes. These are great options for the busy family any day of the week!
Check out these great entree recipes.
Hi, Im Amanda Finks
Im a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist living in Zionsville, IN. Im an avid cook, travel nerd, & lover of good food! Im trained in Food Science & recipe development. Its my mission to bring you the BEST recipes your whole family will love! See More.
Read Also: Why Bake Apple Pie In A Paper Bag
How To Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Start by peeling and cutting the potatoes into large, evenly sized chunks.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot along with the bay leaf, and fill will cold water. Sprinkle with salt, and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes in a colander or mesh strainer, and transfer them back to the pot. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the butter and milk, and mash the potatoes until theyre smooth and lump free.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Thats it!
Can You Freeze Shepherds Pie
Questions about Shepherds pie getting sent to the freezer have been coming our way for some time now. In fact, heres one of the messages we received:
I made a Shepherds pie for dinner the other day and my family loved it. They ate the whole thing in one sitting and then requested that I make it again as soon as possible. While Im happy that they enjoyed it, making it is a lot of work. I really dont feel like making a Shepherds pie each week. Instead, I would prefer to make a few of them and freeze them, but Im not sure if they will taste the same after freezing. Can you freeze Shepherds pie?
Yes, you can freeze Shepherds pie! Many people freeze whole pies for later, make mini pies for freezing, or freeze individual serving slices. The tricky part about freezing Shepherds pie is the mashed potato top layer. Mashed potatoes can sometimes have a different consistency once defrosted, changing the taste a bit. It can sometimes help to freeze the pie before baking it in the oven to improve the taste and texture.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Soup Recipes For Chicken Pot Pie