How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Impossible Chicken Pot Pie Step By Step
Step 1: Gather and prep your ingredients
Ready to make the chicken pot pie
Step 2: Combine vegetables, chicken and soup mix in an ungreased glass/ceramic pie plate.
Adding the pot pie ingredients to a pie dish
Step 3: Stir together Bisquick baking mix, egg and milk until blended.
Mixing the pot pie topping
Step 4: Pour over the chicken and vegetables in the pie plate.
Ready to bake chicken pot pie
Step 5: Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
Fresh baked impossibly easy chicken pot pie
More About This Recipe
- A chicken pot pie recipe was first featured in the Betty Crocker Cookbook way back in 1950, and its remained a favorite of home cooks ever since. Weve taken the classic recipe and added several time-saving spins that will streamline your prep time to a speedy 15 minutes. Just pull some frozen mixed vegetables from the freezer and a can of soup and box of Original Bisquick mix from the pantry, and youre on your way to a hearty, satisfying dinner that will taste like you spent all day in the kitchen. Once youve tried this recipe, there are so many fresh new twists you can try from Bettys best chicken pot pie collection which includes photos, tips and reviews, as well as recipes for time-tested favorites and modern new twists.
Also Check: What Is A Pie Iron
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Be sure to preheat your oven to 350°F in order to bake the biscuits on top of the hot stew.
- tip 2 Did you know that most removable slow-cooker inserts are actually ovenproof? Top with biscuits, and pop it in the oven for an easy finish. If yours is not ovenproof, bake biscuits separately as directed on can.
- tip 3 Size matters! We tested this recipe in smaller slow cookers, and while the chicken mixture works fine, the biscuits dont get done. To make this in a smaller slow cooker, bake biscuits separately as directed on can.
- tip 4 Try using your favorite frozen mixed vegetable combination in this recipe.
Read Also: 10 Inch Glass Pie Plate
How To Make Betty Crocker Chicken Pot Pie
- Get the crust: In a food processor process bread, cold and salt cubed butter. Process until theyre formed. Add cold water process until the dough has been formed. Dont over mix.
- Split the dough into two sections , Shape into balls and then flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F .
- Get the filling: in a huge pot over moderate heat, melt the butter. Add smashed garlic and sauté for 1 second.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring continuously till stirring. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cream. Add grilled chicken, frozen peas, thyme, pepper, salt, and parsley. Cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Construction: Roll the bigger section of bread to approximately 1112 inches in diameter. Put into an 8 9 inch pan). Fill with grilled poultry mix. Brush around the outer border of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Roll out the 2nd region of the pastry to about 10 11 inches , put in addition to the filling. Reduce and pinch the edges of the crust together. With a little and sharp knife slice several tiny slits at the upper crust for steam to escape and then brush the egg wash.
- After thirty seconds put in a pie crust guard or aluminum foil at the top of the dish when the crust is still becoming brown too fast.
- Allow cooling for 15 minutes before working out.
Individual Chicken Pot Pies
Note: For an easy dinner later in the week, prepare pot pies as directed. Let cool at room temperature 30 minutes after baking. Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pot pies on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until a table knife inserted in the center feels hot when touched with a finger, about 20 to 30 minutes. From “Betty Crocker Best 100.”
1/3 c. butter, plus extra for ramekins
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
13/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
3 c. cut-up cooked chicken
2 c. frozen peas and carrots
2 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour, plus extra for rolling dough
1 tsp. salt
3 to 5 tbsp. ice-cold water
To prepare filling: In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and peas and carrots, and remove from heat.
To prepare pot pies: Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly coat 6 ramekins or custard cups with butter and place prepared ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
Evenly divide chicken mixture among ramekins. Top each ramekin with a pastry circle, gently pressing sides down the ramekin. Make a slit in the top of each circle. Bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Also Check: Shepherd’s Pie With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Origin
Chicken pot pie is truly an heirloom recipecooks have been making it for centuries. Chicken Pot pie is believed to have originated in Greece. The Greeks cooked meats mixed with other ingredients in open pastry shells, and these were called Artocreas. The Romans took this recipe and added a top to the pastry crust, making it a fully enclosed meat pie. In the United States in the 19th Century, Americans became enamored of a pie that featured robins. The settlers who came to America took their Chicken pot pie recipes with them when they moved westward.One of the earliest New World mentions of a recipe for chicken pot pie was in the cookbook American Cookery, published in 1796. Similar to the meat pies that had been popular in 16th century England, the American versions often called for the use of plentiful poultry instead of harder-to-source beef.This time-tested chicken pot pie recipe was first featured in the Betty Crocker Cookbook in 1950, and its remained a favorite of home cooks ever since. By the present century, chicken pot pies and meat variations have become a widely popular American dish.
Bisquick Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie Made Lighter
WW Recipe of the Day: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pot Pie
A longtime lover of pot pie, I can’t believe I’ve never tried Bisquick’s Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie until now. It’s the ultimate comfort food made easy. This classic family favorite comes together quickly with just 5 ingredients.
Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Using Bisquick from the pantry, frozen vegetables and a leftover cooked chicken this couldn’t have been easier. Using Betty Crocker’s “Impossibly Easy Pie” formulation, which has been making life easier in the kitchen since the 1970s, you don’t need to make a crust or biscuits for this chicken pot pie.
Just stir together your bisquick, egg, and milk and pour it over your chicken and vegetable mixture in a pie plate. Easy peasy.
Read Also: Sweetie Pie Tea For Sale Online
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Tips
The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. Use leftover vegetables you might have on hand or buy cut-up veggies at the salad bar and steam them before adding them to the saucy filling.A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce. Use a standard 9-inch glass pie plate or a 10-inch deep-dish glass or ceramic pie plate. Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Lay the foil loosely over the pie at the start of baking, then remove close to the end to allow it to brown.
Cooking Notes Additions & Substitutions
- Chicken: This is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. Leftover rotisserie chicken or a package of pre-cooked cubed chicken would also work I think canned chicken would even work. Turkey would also taste great in this pot pie recipe.
- Vegetables: If youve got leftover cooked vegetables, use them instead of the frozen vegetables. Feel free to swap out for a different variety. To bulk this recipe up I often increase the amount of vegetables I use to 2 to 2.5 cups.
- Milk: To keep this pot pie lower in Weight Watchers points opt for low fat or skim milk. If you’d like to make this recipe dairy-free, replace the milk with your favorite dairy free alternative such as almond, oat or cashew milk. They have a neutral flavor but similar texture, so they won’t affect the filling consistency.
- Original Bisquik baking mix is a staple in my pantry. If you prefer, here is a recipe for making DIY Bisquick from scratch.
- Soup: The recipe calls for a can of cream of chicken soup. I always opt for the Healthy Request soups which are lower in sodium and fat. If you are not a fan of canned soups you could always make your sauce from scratch using butter, flour, milk and chicken broth.
- Season up the base chicken/veggie mixture with your favorite blend of dried herbssage, basil, oregano, thyme or dill will bump all up the flavor quotient.
- Sprinkle the top of the crust with a little shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
Serving chicken pot pie
Recommended Reading: Dino’s Tomato Pie Delivery
Recipe Of The Day: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of those budget-friendly meals that’s great for feeding an entire family. Not only is it a great way to use leftover chicken from the day before, but it’s also one of those meals that you can make with canned goods. But making a pie cruse from scratch kind of puts a damper on all the ways this dish can be simple. Luckily, this impossibly easy chicken pot pie solves that problem.
In fact, this dish is so simple, it takes only one hour to make. The biscuit mix will distribute throughout the pie, adding pockets of crust throughout so you don’t have to actually bother baking one from scratch.
To make the dish you’ll need some common pantry items like biscuit mix, milk, frozen vegetables and eggs. Just mix your frozen veggies, chicken and soup into a glass pie plate. Stir together the reminaing ingredients with a fork, then pour the mixture into the pie plate as well.
Bake it until the crust is golden brown. And, if you like this recipe, then you’re sure to love more of our delicious and simple weeknight dinners.
Chicken Pot Pie Nutrition Facts
- Jojo Recipes
- Recipes Made with Mother’s Love
This is the best Chicken Pot Pie recipe of all time! If youre looking for a hearty recipe to make for dinner on chilly nights, this Chicken Pot Pie is fantastic. If chicken is a staple protein in your family and you love this chicken pot pie, just wait. One of our most popular recipes of all time, this classic chicken pot pie recipe has all the goods. Chock-full of poultry, potatoes, peas and corn, this recipe for easy chicken pot pie makes two golden pies, so you can serve one at supper and save the other for a busy night. Plus, its super easy to make, which makes it a great recipe for novice cooks and busy families alike. This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor.Its got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs. Using fresh vegetables and some fresh herbs in the filling gives this pot pie so much flavor that its ok to take a short-cut with the crust and use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust.When I was an ambitious lass in the corporate world juggling university in the evenings, Chicken Pot Pie was a handy one-dish freezer-friendly meal that I could cram loads of extra veggies into. This is the best chicken pot pie recipe to have on hand.
Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Read Also: Watch American Pie Beta House
Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe 2021
After hundreds of Chicken Pot Pie recipes tested by our expert team, we chose the best Chicken Pot Pie recipe of 2021! Learn how to make in 4 easy steps! This classic chicken pot pie recipe has a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables. Plus, its super easy to make, which makes it a great recipe for beginner cooks and busy families alike.