What Makes This Recipe So Easy
This really is an easy homemade shepherds pie. It uses mostly premade ingredients that you can get at your local grocery store, and you may already even have on hand. Youll save a lot of time by not having to make your potatoes from scratch. Instant or prepared mashed potatoes are perfect for this recipe. Of course, if you have an Instant Pot, you can follow my easy mashed potatoes recipe if you have the time.
While I do use some premade ingredients, this is still a reasonably healthy shepherds pie recipe. I do my best to buy prepared foods with as few additives as possible. My local supermarket, HEB, carries a brand of prepared mashed potatoes that is just potatoes, milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Many other brands come packed full of additives. So youll definitely want to look at the ingredients list before purchasing.
My Family Loves This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe You Only Need Five Ingredients To Make This Delicious Comfort Food Casserole And It Cooks In Under 30 Minutes
Sometimes life gets cray cray and you need a quick dinner recipe, am I right?! This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe has got your back!
It has only FIVE simple ingredients and is constantly requested by my family of hungry boys. Whenever I make this, my kids literally scream YAY out loud!!
Full disclosure: I usually eat pretty healthy. I mean, this website is called Yummy Healthy Easy for a reason, right? But sometimes you need a good ol comfort food dinner on a cold evening to warm you up.
This Easy Shepherds Pie recipe is one of my absolute favorite go-to comfort food dinners. Ive been making this for years and for some reason, I never thought to share it with you!
When I made it last week, I was like why have I not taken photos of this and put it on the website?! So, here you go!
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1lb.lean ground beef
- 1 10.75-ozcan tomato soup
- 1 14.5-ozcan green beansdrained
- 1-2cupsmashed potatoesleftover or cooked instant potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain if needed.
- Pour tomato soup and drained green beans into the ground beef and stir. Do not add extra water.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour ground beef mixture into bottom of casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and cover with a piece of tin foil sprayed with cooking spray .
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Also Check: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Shepherds Pie Vs Cottage Pie
When Shepherds Pie first originated, it was made with lamb. It has since evolved, especially in America, to include a variety of red meats . Per Wikipedia:
Shepherds pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are ground red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked
How To Make Shepherds Pie
- Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add ground beef or ground lamb.
- Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned.
- Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, frozen mixed peas and carrots, and frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer the meat gravy until it is thick.
- Boil some peeled and chopped potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes
- Add butter, half & half, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top it with the cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the meat is bubbling and the potatoes are golden.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Reasons Why I Love This Shepherds Pie Recipe:
People assume that since I have a food blog that I just LOVE cooking and stand in my kitchen all day every day making amazing gourmet meals. Well, thats partly true I guess. ??
But most days Im cooking recipes up for this little blog, I end up wanting to just lay on the couch and watch Netflix by dinner time. In other words, no more energy to make dinner for my family.
That being said, I love me a good cheat meal like this Easy Shepherds Pie. Its super quick to whip together and cooks up in about 25 minutes. Add a side salad and youre good to go!
Looks like you spent hours in the kitchen creating a gourmet meal when in reality, you spent very little time whipping it up. Winner winner, casserole dinner! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Can I Prepare Shepherds Pie In Advance
Yes, this is a great make ahead dish! You cook it, assemble and leave it ready to bake, or freeze it to make another night.
To Make Ahead: This is a great dish to prep and make ahead a few days in advance. Assemble and cover with foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days ahead, then bake in a preheated oven 400F about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Leftovers: Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, transfer to a freezer safe containers for up to 1 month.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
The Best Quick & Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe Made With Ground Beef
If youre looking for cheap and easy dinner recipes for the family, this ground beef and potato casserole recipe is always a hit! Even your picky eaters will love this simple meal. Its also loaded with veggies, so consider it healthy enough to serve often.
The idea behind a classic shepherds pie is simply to mix ground beef or lamb with a good hearty tomato based sauce and mixed vegetables, top with mashed potatoes in a casserole dish , and then bake until the potatoes and cheese are well browned.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Traditionally, shepherds pie is made with lamb . However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland , beef became a common substitute, especially in America where its more widely available than ground lamb.
- tip 2 Refrigerated mashed potatoes cut a ton of prep time off of this recipe and are good to keep on hand. Try any flavored, refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
- tip 3 Looking for a few more ways to turn a pound of ground beef into dinner? Check out the rest of Bettys kitchen-tested ground beef recipes.
Also Check: The Key Lime Pie Company
Simple Comfort Food The Entire Family Will Love
The only issue with a traditional shepherds pie is that they usually require 10+ ingredients and a lot of prep. No, thank you! Because my family enjoys this dinner recipe so much, I came up with a way to make it super quick and easy with just 6 simple ingredients.
- ground beef
- cheddar cheese
- mashed potatoes
In a large pan, simply brown the ground beef and and drain the excess grease. Add the tomato soup, frozen veggies, seasoning and about half a cup of water to the pan simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Evenly spread the beef mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Spread your mashed potatoes over the top and then sprinkle with 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown.
Even though this shepherds pie is incredibly easy to make, its not missing any flavor! I was pleasantly surprised at how good this simple recipe was, in fact, my husband thought it was better than the complicated recipes Ive made in the past.
- 1-2cupsshredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the mashed potatoes according to the package directions .
Meanwhile, brown the ground beef on medium heat in a large skillet drain any excess grease.
Add the can of tomato soup, frozen mixed veggies, beef stew seasoning mix and 1/2 cup of water to the browned beef stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
Bake uncovered in the center rack for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.