A Review Of Every Supermarket Garlic Bread In Australia
Garlic bread, unlike full-time employment, has been a constant throughout my life. It was a childhood classic, a high school staple, and a full university dinner. Its been there on great dates and bad hangovers. Without laboring the point, I love garlic bread.
But I don’t love all garlic breads. Some garlic bread manufacturers prioritise cheap over edible, which is annoying. There’s nothing worse than pulling a hot pole of buttery bread from the oven and sinking into a big couch, expecting magic, only to find that you bought some low-rent dickhead garlic bread. I hate that. I can’t stand that.
And it’s for this reason that I decided to review every garlic bread in the country. And sure, it’s not everysingle garlic bread in the whole country. I’m certain there’s a few obscure treasures I don’t know about in Adelaide or some place like that, but these are the mainstream ones. These are the ones you’ll find in your local supermarket, regardless of where you live. There were 10 types in total, and I tried all of them to discover Coles Garlic Baguette was the absolute worst and the best was well, you’ll just have to read the article.
Piattis Premium Garlic Loaf – $2.69
La Famiglias Traditional Garlic Bread – $4.00
This was another dried out husk-flavoured open loaf bunch of crap and, like the last one, it went in the bin.
Woolworths Garlic Bread – $2.00
Piattis Garlic Bread – $1.79
Coles Garlic Baguette – $2.80
Creative Foods Vegan Garlic Bread – $2.00
Follow Joel on
How To Make Frozen Garlic Bread
Enjoy fresh garlic bread any night or day when you have a stash of this Easy Garlic Bread in the freezer, frozen garlic bread that is SO much better than any store bought loaf! So good and easy!
Served at a BBQ Party or alongside a pan of Spicy Sausage Lasagna, this tasty garlic bread will please the masses. At just 20 cents a serving and just a few minutes of prep time, its absolutely worth your while!
It is a humble dish. It doesnt get much attention. Sometimes its an afterthought at the check stand, when one passes the baskets of foil wrapped logs or sneaks down the frozen food aisle real quick to grab a loaf of frozen garlic bread.
Im not sure that anyone waxes eloquent over its virtues. In fact, its sometimes forgotten all together as a culinary option.
But you know what? Garlic bread is awesome! And it deserves a little more attention. For all its simplicity, its the first thing to go when I serve an Italian buffet.
My kids even use garlic bread as a bartering commodity! Yes, indeed, they recognize its value. And so should you!
The Close Second: Smitten Kitchens Perfect Garlic Bread
- Overall rating: 9/10
- Read more: I Tried Smitten Kitchens Perfect Garlic Bread, and Its as Good as Promised
Unsurprisingly, Smitten Kitchens recipe resulted in some really great-tasting bread. The addition of red pepper flakes and oregano in the garlic-butter mixture really kicked things up a notch. The star of the show, however, was the seeded baguette it was such a smart, easy way to make this garlic bread stand out. In addition to adding great texture, the toasted seeds gave the garlic bread a delicious nutty taste, creating layers of flavor without overwhelming the garlic. Overall, my only issue with this bread was that it was it a bit crunchy for my taste, which may just be a matter of opinion. That said, it would be perfect served with some saucy meatballs.
Also Check: Boston Cream Pie From Boston
Having Trouble Finding A Great Garlic Bread
This problem is well understood by us because we have gone through the entire garlic bread research process ourselves, which is why we have put together a comprehensive list of the best garlic breads available in the market today.
After hours of searching and using all the models on the market, we have found the best garlic bread for 2022. See our ranking below!
Market Pantry Frozen Garlic Bread
The problem with many of the lower-ranked frozen garlic breads on this list is that they’re missing a solid amount of garlic, herbs, or butter. While we could make do without excess amounts of butter or herbs, if your garlic bread doesn’t have a decent serving of garlic on it, can you really consider it garlic bread? When you walk into a frozen food aisle of a Target store, you’ll find several different frozen bread options, including one under the company’s own brand. If you’re trying to make the best choice of frozen garlic bread, it would be best for your taste buds not to select this Target option and go for a different bread instead.
may say it contains garlic in its list of ingredients, but when it comes to taste, we could barely pick up the crucial garlic taste that makes a quality garlic bread as flavorful as it is. The garlic was there, but it was very difficult to pick up, along with the herbs. It ultimately tasted like a buttered baguette with a slight garlic note, which isn’t what we’re looking for with a good frozen garlic bread. It isn’t the worst thing to grab from Target if you need to put together a quick pasta meal, but it certainly isn’t the best.
You May Like: Ok Google How Do You Make Shepherd’s Pie
The Clear Winner: Guy Fieris Garlic Bread
- Overall rating: 10/10
- Read more: Guy Fieri Has a Clever Trick for Making the Best Garlic Bread Ever
Guy Fieris garlic bread was hands-down the winner. When a garlic bread recipe calls for two sticks of butter, its hard to imagine it wont taste great, but it was what Guy adds to the butter scallions, Parmesan, garlic, hot sauce, and parsley that really makes this garlic bread sing. When I took it out of the oven, the smell of bubbling butter and garlic overwhelmed my apartment in the best possible way. It was perfectly soft on the inside and crunchy on the exterior. It was like a little piece of buttery heaven. I had a very hard time not finishing the entire loaf myself.
While this recipe has more ingredients than the others, its still incredibly easy to make. You just mix everything together with the softened butter, spread it over the bread, and broil. Voila! You have some of the best tasting garlic bread Ive ever had.
Do you have a favorite garlic bread recipe? Let us know in the comments!
How Do You Make Coles Garlic Bread
To make Coles garlic bread, in a bowl, add olive oil and minced garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the bread into a foil bag with the cut side of the loaf on the inside.
Place some of the garlic mixtures at each end of the loaf section of your choice.
Make sure that the outside of the bag is sealed tightly around all sides. Cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown on top.
Also Check: Grand Traverse Pie Company Menu
How Do You Cook Frozen Garlic
To use garlic, break off as many pieces as you need for a recipe. It should thaw quickly at room temperature, or you can zap it for 5-10 seconds in the microwave. If using for saute, soups, or sauces, frozen garlic may be placed directly in the pan. It will thaw and break apart quickly from the heat of the pan.
Read Also: Where Can I Watch American Pie
Signature Select Garlic Bread
Safeway isn’t known for being the cheapest of stores, nor is it known for having the most expensive quality goods. It falls somewhere in the middle of it all, but it is still a major grocery store chain with over 900 locations spanning 19 different states in the US, as well as Washington DC . The grocery store does have an incredible selection of food, including frozen garlic bread. Like the store itself, however, it isn’t the worst but isn’t the best.
Signature Select Garlic Bread is hearth-baked, made with crushed garlic, and takes 10-15 minutes to bake in the oven. The bread comes out crisp and golden-brown with a pretty decent garlic taste. There’s nothing that really stands out about this garlic bread, though. It’s a bit on the burnt, crunchy side, which may be a hit or miss depending on how you like your bread. The garlic bread itself is good, but pretty average in the grand scheme of things. If you need to grab garlic bread quickly and this is the first loaf you come across, you won’t be upset by this frozen option, but you won’t be blown out of the ballpark, either.
Also Check: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Order Online
How Long Have You Cooked O You Cook Frozen Garlic Cheese Bread
1 Prepare a shallow baking sheet by heating the air : 2 Refrigerate the sheet briefly, and keep it for 30 minutes. Spread out desired number of frozen bread slices flat on an ice-cold baking sheet. On the middle rack of your oven, place the baking sheet. The baking process takes about 5 to 6 minutes or aerate a little over once.
Can I Make Garlic Butter Spread Ahead Of Time
The best way to prep or make Garlic Bread ahead of time is tomake the Garlic Butter Spread ahead of time. Now, all you have to do is slather it on your fresh bread and bake!
To store Garlic Butter Spread:
- Refrigerator: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Freezer: Dollop spread onto a piece of plastic wrap and tightly enclose. Transfer to a freezer safe bag, squeeze out excess air and seal. Store for up to two months.
Also Check: Where To Buy Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free Bread
How Do You Revive Stale Garlic Bread
Delicious, crisp, out-of-the-oven garlic bread can be made even more delicious by ensuring that you store it properly. After slicing the loaf into slices and wrapping tightly with plastic wrap to prevent drying out, one way to keep it tasty is to store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Give it an extra boost of flavour by using fresh garlic or dry herbs for another day or so before gobbling up the entire thing yourself. For those multiples left over after a large dinner party, there are many recipes available all over cooking sites on how you can jazz your stale loaf great ways include mixing cheddar cheese dip mix with water , adding cream cheese and some salt and pepper.
Crumble your garlic bread into pieces or slices, put it in a microwavable safe bowl and add cheese dip , butter and Parmesan . Microwave until the cheese is bubbly. Enjoy with friends!
You May Like: Primal Palate Apple Pie Spice
Storing Garlic Bread In The Refrigerator
Store garlic bread in the refrigerator to extend the freshness. While room temperature may be best for the first few days, if the weather is hot and humid, move it to the refrigerator sooner. In addition, the butter will start turning.
However, bread will dry out in the refrigerator and absorb other flavors if its not tightly wrapped. Thats true of leftover garlic bread, so if you want it to taste good the next day, dont leave it open to the cold air. The best way to wrap it is using a good plastic wrap sealed tightly around the bread.
If you need to store it for a more extended period, read the next section about freezing. Fresh garlic bread will not last as long in the fridge as store bought bread. Store bought bread contains preservatives which allows it to last longer.
Have you ever thought about making your own garlic bread starting with the bread first? Using homemade bread elevates garlic bread to a different level. Check out some affordable bread makers on Amazon, Bread Makers.
You May Like: Buy Hostess Fruit Pies Online
How To Set Up An Oven To Bake Bread
Baking Bread Using A Stove
An amateur baker can install their oven for baking bread in various ways, some more productive than others. Place the bread in the oven racks closer to the bottom as you tend to prepare it for todays bake.
If you have a Baking Steel or baking stone, put it on that oven rack. On top, place your baking pot in your large oven and preheat conventional oven to 500Â°F for half an hour or more before you want to bake bread.
Remember that this way works well for a cast iron combination cooker, consisting of a saucier and a skillet that lock together, with the skillet part on the rimmed baking sheet and the saucier serving as a lid. A standard cast-iron, enameled Dutch, or stainless-steel oven will suffice.
Bread ovens excel at two tasks that domestic ovens fail to accomplish: generating extra heat and maintaining steam. Baking bread in prepared Dutch ovens alleviates these issues and makes us more tasty baked bread at home.
Tips For Making Garlic Bread
- Get creative with the herbs you add to the garlic butter! Rosemary, thyme, and oregano make great compliments to your main dish.
- Set a timer, garlic bread is the easiest thing to forget in the oven while youre finishing off cooking.
- Use gloves when removing the roasted garlic cloves to avoid garlic on your hands. If you dont have a stainless steel bar, youre missing out if you cook with garlic. The sulfur molecules in garlic stick to the stainless steel, taking them off of your hands. Theyre super cheap on Amazon, and a life saver when youre entertaining!
- You dont need to use a classic french loaf, try making this recipe with a baguette or dinner rolls!
- The roasted garlic butter is super delicious in pasta and spread on burgers and sandwiches too.
- If youre a fan of cheesy garlic bread, add some fresh grated parmesan, or mozzarella to the slices before baking.
- For garlic bread sticks, slice the bread lengthwise and spread with butter. Once baked, use a pizza cutter or bread knife to slice the halves into sticks.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Bake Apple Pie
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Bread Recipe Best
Texas Toast In The Oven
If youre toasting it in the oven, first preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the prepared bread slices on a baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip them and bake another few minutes or until the bread slices are golden brown. If youd like a cheesy Texas Toast, sprinkle the bread pieces with grated Mozzarella or Colby cheese and bake another couple of minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Garlic Butter For Bread Faqs:
- What temperature do you cook homemade garlic bread? Depending on the recipe you use, youll see different instructions for recommended oven temperature when baking garlic bread. In our humble opinion, broiled is better. Because of the level of heat, broiling browns and crisps the edges quickly while keeping the middle soft.
- What kind of bread is garlic bread made of? You can use any type of bread for garlic bread, but we do have our favorites. Thick bread with an airy texture that will absorb the butter and a nice, robust crust for crisping are the standards for the best garlic bread. A French baguette or a sourdough ciabatta are two of our go-tos. The more crunch, the better.
- Is garlic bread good for health? Breads high carb content gives it a bad rap when it comes to nutrition . But the good news is, garlic is known to boost your immune system and reduce cholesterol. The bottom line? Dont make garlic bread your entire meal, but its a delicious and balanced appetizer or accompaniment to pasta thats just fine for your diet when eaten in moderation.
You May Like: Mens Straw Pork Pie Hats
Can Garlic Bread Be Reheated
Yes! Icould eat leftover Garlic Bread room temperature, but it is exponentially warmed.To reheat Garlic Bread:
- OVEN: Wrap leftover Garlic Bread in foil and place on a baking sheet you can do this whether its sliced or a whole loaf. If the bread is sliced, keep it in a single layer in the foil. Bake at 350 degrees F until warmed through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- MICROWAVE: Warm sliced garlic bread in the microwave for only 10 seconds DONT heat too much longer or it will become hard as a rock . I also dont recommend reheating Garlic Bread slices in the microwave unless consuming immediately as it becomes indelibly hard as it cools BUT if you eat it right away, it is sensational.
How Do I Toast Bread In The Oven
Read Also: What Bread Is Keto Friendly
Make Ahead Garlic Bread
Garlic Breadis fabulous to prep ahead and freeze. Tomake frozen Garlic Bread:
- Follow recipe up through spreading garlic butter spread onto the bread.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to flash freeze until solid, about one hour.
- Wrap each half separately in plastic wrap, followed by foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, remove foil and plastic wrap and place bread on a baking sheet.
- Bake from frozen at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until warm through.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or until edges are deeply golden.
Looking for more bread recipes?